Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Books

Old July 27th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow!! Ever try to read Sigmund Freud

Jeez I Got His Book The Interpretation Of Dreams,and I Can Understand A Few Things He Is Saying But Some Of The Sentences Are Way Beyond My Understanding,i Know He Was On Cocaine When He Wrote This,so Actually I Should Get It(my Past Drug Issues)but This Stuff Is Deep.....
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:46 PM
cat slave

ummm.........Freud was not the most mentally balanced men in psychology, so I wouldn't take everything he says seriously.
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I ahve read a little bit about him and only know about his drug isssues,so are saying that this man really wasnt that smart???Just curious,because his book is really hard to read
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:56 PM
cat slave

smart and intelligent are two diferent things. Are you aware that he had sexual fantasies about his mother????? His psychological analysis is somewhat updated from what psychologists today think. He's the one that came up with the Oeudipus complex. He says that each child is attracted, sexually, to the parent of the opposite sex, which is his explanation why girls prefer their dads and boys their moms. To me he doesn't sound like a smart man, but intelligent nontheless to be so famous with the publishing of his ideas. However, I think his unusual behaviour is what made his ideas heard.

Just because a book uses big words and looks hard to read it doesn't mean the contents presented is right. Especially with dreams. And especially coming from Sigmund Freud for that matter lol
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow that is pretty sick,cant say that about my dad,ewww!!!! Yeah i read a few chapters but just really cant understand most of it,and that really has made me lost interest....
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Freud is just one of many theorists - do you HAVE to read him? he had very sexist views, as one criticism. I read him because I had to , not out of choice, lol (Still, it is a good idea to know the basics of Freud so you can compare them with other idea. And his works are considered classic. Tho I noted once as a child that The Great Books - of which my folks had a set - contained not one book written by a woman!!!)
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
Senior Contributor

NO I dont have to,wanted to,I have been having very very vivid weird dreams and heard about this book,but it is way to hard to read,know of any other good dream books
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:53 PM
cat slave

well dream symbolism is different for many people. If you dream of your dad i'm pretty sure Freud's books will say you fantasize about your dad

dreams are often triggered by your current life events or things that have been bothering you. Don't be surprised if they're not literally displayed in your dreams.

for example you could be having troubles with your parents and you could be having many pregnancy dreams or childhood dreams.

Or if you're having a hard time you could be having dreams of positive events as your subconscious is trying to find relief when in sleep mode.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

He Is Right About A Few Things,no No Dreams About My Dad,ewwww...but Like Yesterday At Work There Was A Huge Roach,i Am Deathly Afraid Of Bugs,last Night I Ahd A Dream There Were Roaches In Our Car,and One Of Them Was Giving A Piggy Back Ride To Another Roach,woke Up And Took Awhile To Go Back To Sleep..my Dreams Are Jsut So Real When I Wake Up,about Two Weeks Ago I Ahd A Dream That My Boyfriend Slpet With My Frined From Arizona,and When I Woke Up I Was Actually Pretty Pissed At Him....
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:32 PM

Freud is hilarious, although i have to say, I do NOT have sexual fantasies about my father, and nope, no penis envy here
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

He Is Out There,way To Hard Of A Read For Me.........and Nope Dont Want To Sleep With My Dad..........