Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 4th, 2014, 12:23 AM

Infected sore on my dog.

Hi, hopfully i can upload a few photos...I just found a sore on the rear of my dog, just behind its rear back leg.

The sore appears to be infected, it is about the size of a quarter. I have no idea what has caused. I am unable to see any sort of wound, puncture mark or anything of that nature.

Very worried about my buddy though.
Attached Images

Old November 4th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Personally I would have no problem dealing with something that small on my own. Clean it, poke around to see if there's a tick head, or thorn or something that needs to come out, slop dettol or hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol into it. No swimming, keep it dry and clean. Vet if it doesn't seem to be clearing up in a day or two.

Vetting is your best bet if you think it needs to be investigated more. If I was "very worried" I would definitely be off to the Vet.
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Personally I would have no problem dealing with something that small on my own. Clean it, poke around to see if there's a tick head, or thorn or something that needs to come out, slop dettol or hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol into it. No swimming, keep it dry and clean. Vet if it doesn't seem to be clearing up in a day or two.

Vetting is your best bet if you think it needs to be investigated more. If I was "very worried" I would definitely be off to the Vet.
There is more than one red spot on the dog , it looks something could tired to bite him . I think it would be bet to bring the dog in , I rather be safe than sorry when it come to my pets.
Old November 4th, 2014, 01:00 PM

thank you for the replies.

Took Mac to the bet today, they believe it is just a hotspot that he has been licking and biting at.

They shaved and cleaned the area, gave him a spray to put on it and a cone. Hopefully with him not agitating it any further it will go away.

We considered a bite mark, as he likes to run out into our backyard and chase anything he can like a lunatic.....and also runs off on his own for short periods of time at the off leash dog park/forest.

Thanks again.
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Seems to be the season for hot spots! Our Cass is just getting over one--her first in 12+ yrs. Hope Mac heals quickly!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."