Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 1st, 2016, 03:11 PM

Confused over Husky x Lab's behaviour:

Just wondering if I can get some thoughts and/or advice:

I have a Husky x Lab girl - she is neutered and is about three. It's hard to be precise about her age as she was a rescue and was a stray dog in Romania.

Up until a few months ago, she was amazing with all other dogs. But recently she has started being a bit rough when meeting other female dogs - especially if the other female appears submissive e.g. rolls onto her back. My girl will sort of pounce on them, growling. She doesn't nip or bite.

It only seems to last for the first minute that my girl encounters the other female; after that she just ignores them or will be keen to play. She has female pals and has a great time playing with them, though she does play quite rough.

I'm keeping her on a flexi and harness so that she can't keep doing this when she meets other female dogs. Just wondering if any of you recognize this behavior or can shed any light on it?

**Just to add, she's been checked by the vet and seems to be in good health touch wood.

Many thanks for any responses
Old August 1st, 2016, 06:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Are both dogs on leash? If so then I simply would not allow a meeting. One dog on leash and the other off is a set up for misread body language. What is she like when she and the other dog are both off leash? The dog on leash may feel trapped and react with defensive aggression. The off leash dog may be the one to act inappropriately from misreading the leashed ones signals.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:16 AM

Do you correct the behaviour when she does it? Dogs generally depend on other dogs for corrections but submissive dogs won't give it. Next time she does it, look in her eyes - that tells the tale - you may see some intensity, pupils dilated. You need to read your dog - other dogs may just heel due to her attitude so to speak.

Ex has a farm dog - fairly large lab husky cross @ 80 pounds. Beautiful girl, one blue eye and the other grey, very sweet. She grew up on a farm, had full run and did what she wanted. She was a coyote killer - which created issues when she was brought to the city.

When she came into the city, she developed sort of a maternal instinct that she never had before, hard to explain, like she became guardian. She still had the farm dog in her, had to correct her when off leash in a hurry - when she heard a coyote or she'd be gone with the minpin in tow. The minpin learned to trust her in a hurry, she was never aggressive with him. She always got this intense look in her eyes when the minpin would play with other dogs. It's like she couldn't differentiate between play and aggression - it was similar to prey drive. I had to force this dog into submission twice or she would have killed something. I don't like getting physical with dogs, but she ended up on her side until she submitted to me. I would never hurt her but there was no choice in the matter. Hard to explain.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhynes View Post
Do you correct the behaviour when she does it? Dogs generally depend on other dogs for corrections but submissive dogs won't give it. Next time she does it, look in her eyes - that tells the tale - you may see some intensity, pupils dilated. You need to read your dog - other dogs may just heel due to her attitude so to speak.

Ex has a farm dog - fairly large lab husky cross @ 80 pounds. Beautiful girl, one blue eye and the other grey, very sweet. She grew up on a farm, had full run and did what she wanted. She was a coyote killer - which created issues when she was brought to the city.

When she came into the city, she developed sort of a maternal instinct that she never had before, hard to explain, like she became guardian. She still had the farm dog in her, had to correct her when off leash in a hurry - when she heard a coyote or she'd be gone with the minpin in tow. The minpin learned to trust her in a hurry, she was never aggressive with him. She always got this intense look in her eyes when the minpin would play with other dogs. It's like she couldn't differentiate between play and aggression - it was similar to prey drive. I had to force this dog into submission twice or she would have killed something. I don't like getting physical with dogs, but she ended up on her side until she submitted to me. I would never hurt her but there was no choice in the matter. Hard to explain.

This.

My girl has a very high prey drive and when she plays I have to monitor her to ensure she doesn't get over excited - and I never let her play with tiny dogs as I worry about predatory drift.

I will try your suggestion re the eye contact - thank you. I don't like the idea of forcing her down on the ground but I take on board your points and really appreciate your post
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Are both dogs on leash? If so then I simply would not allow a meeting. One dog on leash and the other off is a set up for misread body language. What is she like when she and the other dog are both off leash? The dog on leash may feel trapped and react with defensive aggression. The off leash dog may be the one to act inappropriately from misreading the leashed ones signals.

See this is the thing - she's now started doing it off leash as well.

I am now stopping all on leash greetings though as I agree with you, thank you.