Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Exclamation My cat constantly meows! How do I make him stop?

I have a recently new male cat who constantly meows. The only time when he is quiet is when I sit/lay down with him and give him attention (petting, brushing, etc). If I am doing anything else, he meows and cries until he gets attention. It is so annoying! When I leave my house, I can hear him crying from outside! I have a roommate and she is not very fond of animals to begin with. He meows constantly when she is at home and it drives her crazy so she puts him in my room and shuts the door. And he still continues to cry. What can I do to make him stop?!
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

You answered the question yourself. You said he stops when you give him attention. He needs more attention.
Some cats a yappier than others, my little Gabby is a real yapper (hence her name).

Cindy
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitto View Post
I have a recently new male cat who constantly meows. The only time when he is quiet is when I sit/lay down with him and give him attention (petting, brushing, etc). If I am doing anything else, he meows and cries until he gets attention. It is so annoying! When I leave my house, I can hear him crying from outside! I have a roommate and she is not very fond of animals to begin with. He meows constantly when she is at home and it drives her crazy so she puts him in my room and shuts the door. And he still continues to cry. What can I do to make him stop?!

My male cat is the same and i give him loads of attention.

He is claming down a bit now though , i think its cause i was new to him and he needed me to reasure him.

I know it can be annoying but youll just have to put up with it , some cats are just noiser then others

Mine is a right attention seeker that he follows me everywhere i go , he does not like to be alone at all , if it bothers you to much how about you get another cat for him to play with
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Kitty pimp

pet him brush him play with him he will get better tell you roomate to lighten up and play with the nice kitty how can you not like cats

he is unsure of his surrondings and needs a lot of reassurance
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
pet him brush him play with him he will get better tell you roomate to lighten up and play with the nice kitty how can you not like cats

he is unsure of his surrondings and needs a lot of reassurance

I agree , i gave my kitten loads of reassurance now he is a cocky git lol ......but not so scared anymore
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
We're a dog's best friend

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
You answered the question yourself. You said he stops when you give him attention. He needs more attention.

This is really bad. When any animal makes a ton of noise until you give it affection, don't give it more affection!!!!

You are just teaching it to beg 4 attention. If it is a new cat though, help it to settle in, but don't let it get more attention when it meows for it.
it will bring bad habits in the future

soter
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Kitty pimp

sorry soter but you are wrong i have had any number of animals as pets and reassurance is the best thing especially with cats