Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Rocky's vet-visit..

Well,I am really no further ahead,Rocky still has loose poop,got no answer from the vet other than buying their foodthe best in the world in her opinion!
Once again,it was a new vet,I don't know how many they have there anymore,but it's really frustrating,telling the same thing over and over.
She squeezed him in different places,saying his kidneys are normal size,his liver is fine as is his heart,after listening to it.
His teeth need de-scaling,but I know that and it will be done soon.
They clipped his nails,took a T4 bloodtest and I will get the lab-report tomorrow probably,I did ask for a printout.
So I am not much further ahead,did not even mention I am thinking of raw,she would have had a fit
She also said he is at a good weight,although he had lost another 1/2 lb,is it ever a good weight,if you loose it because you are sick??

To the bottom line,he already had a regular checkup in October,but still they charged me for a Wellness check-up,the billed totalled $260,hubby just about had a heartattack
Anyway,as soon as I have time,I am going to see this male vet,who comes highly recommended,he is the ONLY vet in his office,just the way I like it,I think it's very important you have a good rapport with your vet.
So,Rocky still will have his runny poop,I kind of suspect the Temptation treats,they've had too much of them.
Now I give them litle pieces of cooked chicken,also bought some liver to try as a treat.
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM
proud to be a cat slave

$260 ?! That's pretty harsh!
That sucks that there weren't any solutions for Rocky - other than the recommendation of their crummy vet food
I think you're right - a change in vets is in order. Some vet clinics remind me of human walk-in clinics - you always get a different doctor, and they don't have the time to become invested in your problem - plus you have to repeat yourself fifty times!
Good luck with the new vet - hopefully you can finally get some answers for poor Rocky!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Chico, I am so sorry!!! I also think maybe you should look at obtaining a new vet??? Poor Rocky!!
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you,"poor Rocky"is actually fine,other than his runny poop and I'll defintely go up and see this other vet,I am now really at the fed up point with all the different vets at this clinic.
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:06 PM
~Cat Servent~

I know what you mean, there are only two at my clinic, but with all of Fagan's problems I finally decided to keep all his appointments with one vet only, that way she is up on the issues, and doesn't always have to consult who saw him last. Just one vet may get you better results... and you don't have to keep repeating yourself either with your concerns every time you go in!

Glad to hear Rocky is ok, I do think he looks ok (not too skinny) from those recent pics you took. My vet is always telling me even my skinniest cats(imo) are overweight and that most north american pets are overweight. And he looks bright and happy which is great! Hopefully he'll get over the poops soon!

Best of luck with the vet and the raw!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm sorry you didn't get any answers, chico.

When your kitties go out in the yard, do they ever drink from puddles or even a bird bath? I know it's not happening now cuz it's frozen out there, but I wonder if Rocky could have picked up something like giardia from water in the yard? It's not something necessarily obvious--I think there's a special test for it--but it can cause diarrhea.

I hope the new vet can figure something out--not only for your peace of mind but to preserve your pocketbook. hazel can relate to big vet bills

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM
-

That's what's good about little clinics , mine only has 2 vets (wife and hubby ) so they know my fuzzbutts pretty well.

I hope the results come back "clean"
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Remembering Lukka

Poor Rocky, if only he could talk and give you a bit of an idea what is going on with him:sad:
Maybe seeing a new vet will touch on something that has been overlooked by the office you are dealing with now.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:01 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Poor Rocky, poor you paying such a huge bill! Hopefully you can find a vet who won't rip you off. Some docs seem to be more out for the money these days then for the patients.
You may be right on track with the temptations. I know when my group gets them there is lots of loose poops the next day. I try to keep them away or just give a few to each. They have no problems with the Luvs crunchy treats though. 3 pks a day between them.
Good luck with the vet search.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:40 AM

for a good T4 result tomorrow

Yup could be the temptations they usually put sugar fillers & who knows what else in the commercial treats like those & pounce etc to addict the cats to them.

Duffy has never even been tempted by any of those kinds of treats - good old Velveeta cheese for her

There is a great Raw treat you could try it's called Feelgood Li'l Bag O' Courage - it is raw Hearts in various varieties ie chicken, lamb etc in the Raw Freezer section..when I first gave it to her (before she started the raw) she wouldn't eat it...but since she's been on raw she LOVES it

The company is from North Vancouver BC, but here is their store locator & there are stores in Ont that carry it.
http://www.feelgoodtreatco.com/wheretofindus.htm

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Hi chico2 and Rocky et al. I too hope you can find a vet you have confidence in, and that Rocky finds some 'solidification'. If I knew I'd end up such a critter butler/maid, I'd have aimed for vet college (although when she worked at Ont. Vet College in Guelph doing post-grad, my one s.i.l. still had to pay full price ). Fingers crossed for good vets/low bills/well furbuddies...
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Hope you find out what is up with Rocky soon. Although I have to say getting all normal test results back doesn't answer your question, but is good news anyway.

for normal results on his T4 tests.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry about the rant girls,I was just a bit disappointed.
Later I remembered her saying,"he has feces(sp?)in there but it feels fine",she must have absolutely magic fingers
I agree Rocky is fine,a little hyper,does his pacing off and on,but that is his HT.
He plays like a kitten,often has zoomies,his poop is my only concern.
I quit the Temptations a few days ago,he loves cooked chicken cut up in little pieces and liver,I don't give him much,just treats to replace the Temptations.
Vinnie of course LOVES it,Chico won't touch it,still wants his T.
I don't think I'll find another vet like my first,Hazel,her love for animals was immense and you could feel it.
I have no qualms about telling these vets,why I am gong elsewhere,something I should have done a long time ago.
Growler,thank's for the site,I'll look in to it
When I get the test-results I'll post them here.ok..
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,about drinking out of puddles,birdbath etc...Chico is the one who does that,Rocky does not,at least not in the winter.
In the summer he drinks out of the birdbath,we keep it clean,change the water before they come outside,but it's probably not germ-free.
I wish I had mentioned that to the vet,how to test for giardia???
Rockys poop was tested for parasites just a couple of weeks ago..
Also,the best food in the world according to her is Hills,she said the company have the best,most thourough testing procedures and for me not to believe every advertisment on TV..grrrr,as if I would do that!!!

Last edited by chico2; January 16th, 2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Reading about Giardia,Rocky certainly has the symptoms,pale colour,loose poop and it's been going on for quiet a while.
It is possible he could have gotten it late summer
He had a fecal test done,as I said,would they not check for all parasites??
The result was no parasites
I'll ask when I go and get the test-results.
OK,that's itno more from me for today,I know I am a pain
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:33 AM

Just sending hugs to you and Rocky
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:33 PM

is Rocky still on the thyroid meds? they are known for giving kitties the runs, or nausea. Have you tried slippery elm? or a probiotic added to his food to help his tummy? Your kitties are all real beauties, as are all the animals here. I lurk every day, just never enough time to post, as much as i would like. Hope his test results come out well, my kitty is battling herself with early thyroid/crf issues so I know how that goes.
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

LooPoo,yes he is,but I was told Tapazole does not usually give them runny poop.
I am bringing in another poop-sample for them to check more thouroghly.
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Kitty pimp

i have always fed my cats pumkin when they have loose stools

just canned pumpkin not pie filling about a tble spoon for a day or two and that usually firms them up
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Jim,that is a good idea,but at first I like to know why,if there is an underlying problem,like giardia.then treat it.
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Jim,I have necer bought Pumpkin,where can you find some that is not pie-filling?
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Kitty pimp

i can find it in a large supermarket usually
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:28 PM
~Cat Servent~

it's usually right beside the pie filling too, so you have to check the labels closely.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:30 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

E.D.Smith has a canned pumpkin that is just pumpkin. The label if I remember correctly is pale orange.... go figure. It says plain pumpkin on it, I think. I just used a can at Christmas. And Jim is right, it is right by the fillings.
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's everyone,I'll check the store today,whether he has giardia or not,pumpkin cannot hurt,right,or interfer with his Tapazole,seeing it's a natural product!
The vet had no suggestions,other than putting him on for her,the best food in the world Hills
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:50 PM
-

[QUOTE=loopoo;531955]is Rocky still on the thyroid meds? they are known for giving kitties the runs, or nausea. QUOTE]

I have also heard that and I found this information from http://www.gcvs.com/imaging/feline_hyperthyroidism.htm ....

Quote:
Quote:
Tapazole also has several undesirable side effects that, although not seen in every case, are all too common. These include vomiting, diarrhea, blood dyscrasias, and hepatotoxicity. As stated in the Physicians Desk Reference (PDR) and the package insert, "tapazole is intended to be used to ameliorate hyperthyroidism in preparation for a more definitive treatment" and as such tapazole is not intended to be used as a long term treatment.
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM
-

I just noticed that it also says hepatotoxicity is a side effect which probably explains the liver issues from the test results posted in your other thread.
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Rainbow,thank's for the site,that's one I had not read.
My vet was adament saying Tapazole would NOT be the cause of Rocky's diareah,here it says it can cause it..
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:23 PM
-

That's why I think you need a second opinion asap.