Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Puce has been dumped - on me!

So, through a good friend on this board, I managed to find a cheap(er) neuter for my neighbour's cat, which he got last summer for his daughter (who lives elsewhere and could care less). An hour on the metro/bus, an hour back, in rush hour.

So when I got back, I went to see my neighbour, gave him the address of the clinic and said it was his responsibility to fetch Puce tomorrow after work (he starts and finishes early and they are open until 7:30 at least). OK. Ten minutes later, he knocks on my door and said there was no way the cat could ever come inside his apartment again (a problem with fleas, which he has not really addressed. The cat has been dosed twice). So he's 'giving' him to me. He'll pay for the neuter but that's it.

Even though in retrospect I should have seen it coming, I'm afraid I completely lost it, to the point where the coward ran home to his beer.
He knows my place is crawling with cats and that I am incapable of throwing Puce into the alley to fend for himself. He had it all worked out! So we are now 14 and winter has just begun. Arrggghhhhh!

Here is Puce. He is just a year old and has never been given the affection he deserves (except from me). A bowl of Meow-Mix a day and a boot out the door was pretty much his lot.
Attached Images

Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:46 PM
-

ahhh Badger , I'm so sorry :sad:

If my guys would not all have "issues" right now , I would help. :sad:

Will you post him up for adoption at the vet clinics ?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:46 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Badger I am so sorry I dont know what to say except their are many cowards and irresponsible &^%$%heads out their! Thank you so much for giving him a chance! I wish there was some way to help you out! My God 14 is alot to manage..I dont know how you and others like 14+ keep up!

I will keep my ears open?

Oh he is a beautiful boy! I guess the only good thing is the cost of neuter being covered??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Alas, my vet clinic is already full of notices from people wanting to dump their animals. No pictures or explanations, just 'free cat'. When I was there today, they brought out a 7-year old female who had just been dropped off to be euthanized. The guy had two but decided to keep only one. She is caramel and white, a bit overweight and her coat was terrible, dull and dry - probably too much bad food, but she is basically healthy. They said they would keep her for a few days. Poor little sweetheart, mistreated and then sent to the gallows.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Poor little sweetheart, mistreated and then sent to the gallows.
omg poor kittie :sad:
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Master of the Drool!

Awww that is sooo sad!! Why do people get pets if thats what they are going to do. It is really great that you took on this furry baby.
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I'll never understand how people can not love their pets. I just don't get it. How can you take a pet into your home and not care about it? How can you arbitrarily decide to euthenize a healthy cat that you've had for 7 years instead of finding it a good home? How can you think you have the right to take that life away? How can you keep a cat in your home for a year and do nothing more than feed it crap food and boot it out the door and forget about it, and then dump it off on someone else when you decide you don't want it anymore? How can you look at a dog or cat as a cash cow to do nothing more than produce babies for you to sell. How can you move away and leave your dog or cat behind. How can you just let your budgie or cockatiel go outside because you can't be bothered with the birds anymore.
I could never consider people who do any of these things as friends, nor would I ever trust anyone who had that little respect for life.

Cindy
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:06 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Aww badger, I am so sorry. 14 kitties in a small apartment is too much. (and the name is already taken ). That wonderful "owner" deserves a kick where it hurts. But then he is such a you'd have problems finding where it hurts. Puce is adorable. Poor sweetie.
Giant from me and mine to you and yours. This just sucks.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

This whole thing mystifies me. Not only does he dump his cat, but he's brazen about it! Totally shameless...

I'm so sorry this happened, badger. For both you and the kitty. And for that poor cat dumped at the vet

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
This whole thing mystifies me. Not only does he dump his cat, but he's brazen about it! Totally shameless...

I'm so sorry this happened, badger. For both you and the kitty. And for that poor cat dumped at the vet
I agree and all I can add is
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
I'll never understand how people can not love their pets. I just don't get it. How can you take a pet into your home and not care about it? How can you arbitrarily decide to euthenize a healthy cat that you've had for 7 years instead of finding it a good home? How can you think you have the right to take that life away? How can you keep a cat in your home for a year and do nothing more than feed it crap food and boot it out the door and forget about it, and then dump it off on someone else when you decide you don't want it anymore? How can you look at a dog or cat as a cash cow to do nothing more than produce babies for you to sell. How can you move away and leave your dog or cat behind. How can you just let your budgie or cockatiel go outside because you can't be bothered with the birds anymore.
I could never consider people who do any of these things as friends, nor would I ever trust anyone who had that little respect for life.

Cindy
So well said, clm, I just don't understand it .

to you badger, I think I would go into complete depression if I had to deal with what you do.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG Badger,although I am glad Puce was not dumped outside,you must be ready to crawl out of your skin:sad:and to have to deal with such an ,,
clm is right,what gives anyone the right to have a little life snuffed out,like the 7yr old healthy kitty.
It makes me sick
You seem to be living in a neighborhood which must be sheer hell for an animal-lover
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:47 PM

Lord and I thought we were doing a good thing. If you can get me 2 more pictures and a short description of his personality I will post him on our website for adoption and for fostering. It is the best I can do for no, we are also short of fosters. We have 2 more adoption day coming up, maybe we could fit him in? Call, email or PM me and we will see what we can do. He is beautiful.
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:55 PM
-

That would be wonderful of you JAB !
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Live well, laugh often

Good vibes for Puce .

Badger, you do such a wonderful thing for these cats, I'm sorry things just never get any easier for you .
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry you have a loser for e neighbor. I hope he has enough brains to never set foot near your door again.

I wish there was something I could do to help.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Badger I'm so sorry about this. Puce is such a pretty boy too. I, like the others just can't fathom how people can do that to animals. It just breaks my heart.

I'm so very sorry that u have been put in this position, but maybe once he is neutered it will be easier for him to be adopted?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

To be fair, my neighbour did have a flea problem, and was royally bitten He was just not interested enough to get to the bottom of the problem. The cat was dosed twice with Revolution and I never saw a flea on him but apparently the house is still infested (which may mean two or two thousand).
I'm actually hoping it's bed bugs how's that for retribution.
It was more the way he did it, without any thought of how hard it would be for me to take on another cat, much less find a suitable home.
He's a poor sap - but I don't regret the tongue-lashing. Felt damn good.
Puce sailed through his snip last week and is good to go.
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:25 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I'm actually hoping it's bed bugs how's that for retribution.
wouldn't that be karma
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

A bit
The caramel and white cat I mentioned earlier was examined yesterday. Her teeth need work and she is peeing everywhere. They are going to put her down. I just talked to the clinic, but not to my usual contact; she said nothing happened today; they are still hoping to rehome her (and maybe give someone a break on the cost?)
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:45 PM
-

I'm hoping they're treating her , for at least , the pee problem.
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Badger,I am hoping for re-homing,but who wants a cat that pees everywhere
It's possible in a different loving environment she won't,but who knows.
If I were ever to re-home Rocky(it would never happen), nobody would want a tabby who pees on occasion:sad:
Kudos to your vet for trying to help
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:25 AM
-

Puce has been adopted ... by me he got here yesterday. He's in the guest bedroom , spent the evening under the bed , then to the closet this morning and is now on the bed , under the covers. He's not afraid tough , let's me pet him.

THANK YOU BADGER ! Here he is :
Attached Images

Old February 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM
~Cat Servent~

Frenchy you sneaker!!!! Aw Puce could not have found a better home!!! He's a real cutie! How are the resident boys taking to him or have their been intro's yet?

And glad to see you too Frenchy...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:35 AM
-

No intro yet , Puce and Coco http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45401&page=2 , will stay in the guest bedroom a bit. Then they will be move to the sun room. Where they'll be able so see and smell the others , through the screen door. I know they are great with other cats , let's see how they do when they see the dogs
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM
~Cat Servent~

You know... I think if I was anywhere near Montreal, I'd have a lot more than 6 cats!!! You guys are all so great, taking all these guys in and finding great places for them... they really should have like Animatarian (like Humanitarian) awards or something... I think our French connection would be the first recipients for sure!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:42 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Puce sounds like a sweetheart, Frenchy! I'm so glad he found a home with you!

*runs off to check out Coco*

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:44 AM
-

It's all Badger ! She takes them all in , gets them back to health , spayed/neutered , socialized . Her appartement is heaven for cats , everything in there are for the cats well being. She is totally devoted.

That is why it's so hard to choose one to adopt , they are all great cats who just wanna be loved . Good job Badger !
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:11 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww Puce, you don't yet know how lucky you are to be adopted into such a great home.

Warning: stay off the beds when Nelly gets her zoomies

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy, Puce hit the kitty lotto. He'll soon be playing with kitty and doggy buddies.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/