Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old July 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Has Anyone tried Wysong Epigen Yet?

Has anyone had the opportunity to try Wysong's new Epigen food?
The local shop that we get our kid's food from is pretty excited about it and are expecting it to be in the store by mid August.

We will be one of the first to try it here as we have 7 fur kids so we can give a fairly broad spectrum of feedback to the shop as to if they do/dont like it and how they do with the first bag or two.

For those that have not heard of it, here is a link to the wysong site.
http://www.wysongepigen.net/index.php

Thanks
Bill
Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM

Well .. we got a 2lb bag of Epigen to try with our kids. The overwhelming response from them is that they do like it without any hesitation. We have been feeding a bowl of 50/50 mixed Instinct with Epigen as well as a small bowl beside the main dish with just Epigen. The bowl of Epigen goes first, especially with our Bengal Kia - she just loves the new food.

We will see how things go, but first impressions are very good.

Bill

Here is the ingredient list:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein (Min) .................................................. .......60.0%
Crude Fat (Min) .................................................. ..............11.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) .................................................. ............3.5%
Moisture (Max) .................................................. ..............12.0%
Taurine (Min) .................................................. ...................0.4%

Ingredients: Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chicken Giblets, Vegetable Protein (consisting of one or more of the following: Potato Protein, Rice Protein, Corn Protein, Wheat Protein), Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols as a source of Vitamin E), Eggs, Yogurt, Flax Seed, Apple, Beet Pulp, Plums, Inulin, Dried Wheat Grass Powder, Dried Barley Grass Powder, Krill Oil, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Oregano Extract, Sage Extract, Rosemary Extract, Probiotic Microorganisms (Bacillus subtilis, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactococcus lactis, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus lactis), Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement.*
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

If someone HAD to feed their cat dry, for whatever reason, I suppose it would be okay, but it's missing a very crucial ingredient: water. I'm also not a huge fan of Wysong in general, for a few reasons that I won't get into. Glad your cats like it though.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the input SCM.
The kids do also get a pretty broad mix of canned along with the kibble. We also switch the kibble around.

Bill.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM

Just found a 2 pack free sample offer: http://wysong.net/products/promo_samples.php
Old November 27th, 2010, 05:54 PM

HELP NEEDED!

Question for anyone using/familiar with this food........where is the expiry (best before) date indicated on the packaging?
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYcat View Post
HELP NEEDED!

Question for anyone using/familiar with this food........where is the expiry (best before) date indicated on the packaging?
RUSTYcat. Have you found the date code yet? If not, I will check on mine at home this evening and will try to let you know.
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Hey Pipercats! Thanks for replying!

Yep - I now know the secret.....I called Wysong yesterday and learned that the small white sticker (like a price tag) on the front of the bag uses a six digit code indicating the date of MANUFACTURE (Y/M/D)...Wysong recommends that the product be used within one year from that date.

I had received some samples from the Canadian distributor (Natural Pet Distributors) and proceeded to "get into" them on the weekend...a search of the packaging for a lot # and BB date showed nothing imprinted on the bags - just a six digit number on a sticker...while it seemed a possible date code, my concern was that it was a BB code - in my case June 15/10 - this prompted my post last Saturday. Anyways....that's resolved now.

(If any Canadian responded to the offer of free samples, they should know that those requests were ignored by Wysong USA - not as much as acknowleged nor passed along to a Canadian distributor [great customer service, eh?], and to obtain a sample people need to contact a Canadian distributor (Natural Pet in eastern Canada).

My gang are extraordinarily enthusiastic over Epigen. I'm currently using Orijen and for a number of reasons (zero carbs and better price for two) I'm exploring a supply line for it. Problem one is that here, on "the rock" nobody deals with the distributor I've mentioned and, so far it seems that shipping costs may make it prohibitted...we'll see....

BTW - and, perhaps this deserves a separate thread....there's ANOTHER PRICE INCREASE ON ORIJEN effective yesterday (already overpriced IMO) (and OVER RATED!)
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:04 PM

Glad you got the information you needed.

Our gang like the epigen. I mix it with Taste of The Wild Rabbit for a mix of protein sources. We actually got our sample from our food store when they got it in so we didnt have to go through the Wysong site to try it.