Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Some days it can be almost overwhelming But hang in there--this, too, shall pass! Meowzer will get better, L'il Bit's eye will improve and TT will be back to normal before you know it!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:38 PM
~Cat Servent~

Sorry he's still not feeling better mf, I know how stressful that is...and especially when it's more than one! Hopefully the vet will have some ideas for you monday. And of course all your kitties always have my !

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:44 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks ladies. I appreciate your well wishes. Meowzer is getting better quickly. Li'l Bit will probably be fine in a few days as well. TT is not letting the dizzyness slow him much. He is still jumping up on the counter for his drink. Still eating and everything. Just is dizzy. I've been doing lots of reading in the last few days. There are so many things it could be. Most are fixable. Let's hope his is.
Thanks again gals.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:03 PM
-

Still sending lots of your way.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Timmy goes in for a recheck this afternoon. He is still very tipsy and now his walk is affected. Today he has tons of energy. He's flying all around the house playing. I am taking that as a good sign. I hope they can find something for my little man. I hate seeing him like this.
Li'l Bit is going in as well. The ointment is not doing any good for her eye. I think she has probably had the eyeball scratched while playing with one of the others. She will probably need antibiotics to clear it up as well as the ointment.
And...... to top it off..... I found a poop with worms this morning. So I guess the catty cats are all getting wormed as well.
Life is soooooooo much fun!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; November 2nd, 2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: grammer
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
-

Sending good vibes for little Timmy 14k....I'm worried :sad:

Sigh, for everything else that is going on.........'s to you
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, TT is okay.

Sorry about the catty cats. When it rains it pours. *sigh*
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh no, I was hoping it was something that would clear up on it's own :sad:. Poor TT for him.

You have to worm all the catuary cats

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks ladies. I appreciate it. I hate seeing any of my little ones sick. I hope this is it for a while. A looonnngggg while!!
L4 - I worm all the catty cats about every three months. At least this new vet is willing to give me a deal on the meds. I'm thinking the guilty party is Spare Cat. Still don't have any idea how to worm him.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:30 PM
150% PRO S/N

Well, not sure this visit did much to help. Li'l Bit has a viral infection. So far it is only affecting her eyes. I have Chloramphenicol Ointment for them. I hope it clears up quickly. Her temp was pretty high while she was in the office but the vet figured that was from stress. I took it again shortly after we got home and she was in her home. It was normal.
The vet figures Jupiter is the culprit and has suggested I bring him in for a work up to make sure he is healthy. I told her he is pretty much still a feral cat. He has been a great boy for me but I have a feeling he would not feel much love for anyone who wanted to poke and prod. She said they would have to put him under to get blood from him. That should be interesting.
Now for TT. She has no idea what to think. She suggested it may be vestibular disease to rabies to inflammation of the inner ear. I am pretty sure we can rule out rabies. She also suggested euthanization. Her reasoning - I have so many cats that I should not be putting all of my resources into one cat. She obviously does not know what Timmy means to me. :sad:
So for now he is on a short term course of prednisone - seven days, and amoxicillin to see if that will make a difference. If not we play it by ear. No pun intended.
Oh, this was not the vet I have been seeing. This was the partner again.
All I can do is hope he starts coming around soon.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Are you going back to this vet again???

Euthanize TT???? :sad:

I hope you can find the cause of this.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Thanks ladies. I appreciate it. I hate seeing any of my little ones sick. I hope this is it for a while. A looonnngggg while!!
L4 - I worm all the catty cats about every three months. At least this new vet is willing to give me a deal on the meds. I'm thinking the guilty party is Spare Cat. Still don't have any idea how to worm him.
Wow. That must be quite a production line .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Are you going back to this vet again???

Euthanize TT???? :sad:

I hope you can find the cause of this.
I am planning on seeing her partner. Not her. I should have asked before I went in today who was on duty. Her partner has a better bed side manner.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, I just saw this thread.

I'm praying big time for TT, I hope it all works out and he gets better by himself, lots of energy is a good sign.

I am shocked that the vet suggested euthanasia....I can't imagine how hard even a suggestion like that would be to hear.

I am praying for you and TT

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:05 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, that was quite a harsh suggestion from that vet, especially with no tests having been done. Jeez, that's like saying throw the baby out with the bath water.

I'm hoping it's just something simple that TT will get over quickly.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks onster. The thought would never enter my head. No way would I give up on any of my cats that quickly. I would have to hear there is no hope before I would consider it under any circumstances. I may have a lot of cats but they all deserve a chance to live.
And with TT. :sad: He has been my special boy since I first saw him.

Last edited by 14+kitties; November 2nd, 2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:12 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
14+, that was quite a harsh suggestion from that vet, especially with no tests having been done. Jeez, that's like saying throw the baby out with the bath water.

I'm hoping it's just something simple that TT will get over quickly.
Thanks ancient. I appreciate all the prayers for him.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,this vet does not know you very well,does she??

The truth is though,a lot of people would have the cat killed,rather than trying to find out what's wrong and with a vet suggesting it as an option,even more people would:sad:

Would a vet no be able to see with her ear-thingy if it is an inner ear problem?? and RABIES,why on earth would she think so...she probably gave you the worst case scenario..stupid

Little TT is close to all our heartsand he just has to get better
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks chico. Timmy is doing his level best to walk a straight line today. It's when he turns his head too quickly he gets dizzy.
The vet checked both of his ears thoroughly. She couldn't see anything in either of them. She said they were both nice and clean, just the way they should be. The problem lies behind his ear where she can't see. The polyps are still a possibility. We just have to see where it all leads.
And no, she does not know me well at all. I don't think many do. They see a person who has more cats than they know what to do with and start judging, thinking I am a hoarder. Interestingly enough she has also requested a visit here to see my setup.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Interestingly enough she has also requested a visit here to see my setup.
She suggested you put down a young cat for an ear issue, with no real tests, and she wants to see your setup because she cares about cats? I don't like this person.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I've had veritigo problems in the past,all the doctor did,was move my head from side to side and he knew what was wrong,usually a tiny piece of wax on the eardrum,but since TT's ears are perfectly clean
It must be so very frustrating and sad for our little boy,what's the next step??
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:05 AM
150% PRO S/N

The next step is to go through this round of meds. See if it makes a difference. We will have to decide what to do from there if there is no change. I am hoping the steroids make a difference.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for the steroids to do their magic! Sending all the that and crossed s can generate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
She suggested you put down a young cat for an ear issue, with no real tests, and she wants to see your setup because she cares about cats? I don't like this person.
I gotta agree with ya, AG!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
-

pts TT..........the woman is a nutbar......I wouldn't let her near your place 14k.

Hope these meds work their magic and TT recovers real quick, he is so
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:14 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks ladies. This is a little frustrating for me. I took him in as soon as I noticed something wrong and it didn't do any good. With nothing showing again yesterday I just feel helpless. I'm trying to keep my mind off of things. Hoping the meds do their work. I said to my other half last night that maybe I would noticing things because I was watching too closely so I notice every little move that isn't quite right.
He is jumping up onto the cupboard and getting his drinks out of his mug in the sink with only one slip this morning. He shook his head once and didn't immediately sit on his butt like he had been doing before. But then a few minutes later he shook it again and he did lose his balance.
I am being an overanxious mom watching him like a hawk to make sure he doesn't hurt himself. Right now he is chasing flies. It's warm here today and there are a few of them around. But he sure does not look like a cat who needs to be euthanized.
I am still wondering if he possible has a bit of a concussion. Sometimes they get playing pretty rough. If his head hit the floor hard enough would it not cause a shakeup? In that case I would think rest and meds would help.

On a brighter note - Li'l Bit's eye is looking tons better today!

Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:14 PM
~Cat Servent~

Dr. B..... shame on you!:sad: I can't believe she would even suggest that! I'm sure she meant it as a last resort, if it turned out he did have something serious or untreatable. I've been seeing her for years and I can't see her suggesting that just because she can't see what's wrong....maybe she was under the impression you were a hoarder....I can go in and set her straight if you want! I think if they saw what you are actually doing for all these cats, they'd be a lot slower to jump to conclusions!
When I first took Fagan in for his leg problem, on the initial visit even before they knew what was going on, they gave me amputation as a possibility too....and that was Dr. M! Maybe they like to prepare us for the worst?

I hope the meds are helping him and he's back to normal soon! And hope every one in the catuary is a-ok soon too....

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Dr. B..... shame on you!:sad: I can't believe she would even suggest that! I'm sure she meant it as a last resort, if it turned out he did have something serious or untreatable. I've been seeing her for years and I can't see her suggesting that just because she can't see what's wrong....maybe she was under the impression you were a hoarder....I can go in and set her straight if you want! I think if they saw what you are actually doing for all these cats, they'd be a lot slower to jump to conclusions!
Actually kr, her words were if he is not improving then I may want to consider euthanizing rather than doing all of the tests like MRI's and so forth. Seeing as I have so many cats it does not make sense to put all of my resources into just one. :sad:
If a wobbly walk, tilted head and occasionally falling over is all TT is going to be suffering from for the rest of his life then we will find a way to deal with it. It does not seem to me that he is in pain. He is enjoying himself way too much to be in pain. I just wanted to see if they could give me a reason why he is like he is. He will not be pts any time soon.
I purposely used the word sanctuary so they would know there is no hoarding here. You guys know I use "catuary" when I am talking about my little shelter. They don't. You are right kr. A visit here to see how the cats live may set her straight.
A hoarder does not take their cats to a vet when they are sick. They also do not get them all fixed and their shots. I am even considering another job so I can pay off some bills faster. Anyone need a housekeeper?

Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:39 PM
~Cat Servent~

Wow....ya they need to see what you do to understand I think. And to see how much each and every one of those kitties mean to you! I mean I'm still amazed that you can keep all their names straight!!! And I know when I first started going there and told them I had 6, I even got some looks like I was a hoarder in the making!

Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I need a housekeeper, 14+ When can you get here?

A concussion might well put TT 'off' for a few days. An inner ear infection might, too--at least it does in humans till it runs its course. So and that he's across this minor blip in the road soon!

Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

So sorry to hear the vet visit did not shed any light.

I think you're right when you say that he is playing, eating, and otherwise enjoying life so clearly he it can't be that bad I know with Ginger her head tilt never went away after the Vestibular Disease. I read that she would get used to it and she sure has! There are days when it is more pronounced than others but it never seems to slow her down. Sounds like TT is cut of the same cloth.

Could be a slight concussion or something lose in the inner ear.
that it does clear itself up. If not, then he will have to be Ginger's "crooked cat" cousin We actually don't even notice anymore...it's new people who are always concerned

Glad Lil Bits' eye is looking better

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!