Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:40 PM
gtexan gtexan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 26
Pets.ca's version of matchmaker

As some of you may have read in my previous thread, Im currently in the middle of a rather strange adoption story. As such, it has gotten me to thinking about my "ideal" breed of dog.

If things work out, this won't be of any relevance (as I may not need a dog). But just in case.

Here are things that are the most important to me:

In no particular order:

1. Size - I, as a general rule of taste, do not enjoy the company of "small" dogs. I like small medium - medium large dogs. Think cocker spaniel - Labrador Retriever. Nothing smaller, nothing larger.

2. Energy Level - I would like a dog with energy, but not a dog I will have to run for miles and miles a day. I have a largish (1/3 acre) fenced in back yard and live across the street to a very large lake, so both of these will be used in excercise.

3. Training - I don't need my dog to be crate trained and I dont need to him to know many commands (although sit and stay would be nice). The two important factors are I would like him to be easily potty-trained and able to be outside without a leash (meaning he won't run away if he gets outside of the fence)

4. Jumping - My back yard is fenced, but the fence is only about 4-5 feet tall (not sure exactly). I know some dogs can easily leap this and will bolt if given the chance. Either a dog that doesnt jump or a dog that won't run away would be great

5. Swimming - As I said, I live near the water. I would love a dog that isn't afraid of the water, and would be even happier with one who enjoys swimming

6. Temperment - I have 2 cats, and new children are in my 6-10 year plan (have to think 15 years ahead when getting a dog). As such, I would love a dog that is known to be gentle and good tempered.

I think thats about it. Let me know what you guys think of!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Hunter's_owner's Avatar
Hunter's_owner Hunter's_owner is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan View Post
:

1. Size - I, as a general rule of taste, do not enjoy the company of "small" dogs. I like small medium - medium large dogs. Think cocker spaniel - Labrador Retriever. Nothing smaller, nothing larger.
That is quite a difference in sizes that you are considering. Just to let you know some Labrador Retrievers may get up pretty close to 100 pounds....so you may want to reconsider what sizes you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan View Post
:
2. Energy Level - I would like a dog with energy, but not a dog I will have to run for miles and miles a day. I have a largish (1/3 acre) fenced in back yard and live across the street to a very large lake, so both of these will be used in excercise.
This sounds great for many dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan View Post
:
3. Training - I don't need my dog to be crate trained and I dont need to him to know many commands (although sit and stay would be nice). The two important factors are I would like him to be easily potty-trained and able to be outside without a leash (meaning he won't run away if he gets outside of the fence)
This is going to take some work. Depends on the breed too as some breeds have a high prey drive, and it may not even be breed specific...some dogs have a high prey drive as well, meaning that they can take off and run after things sometimes not depending on how well they are trained.
This would be something I would give more thought too as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan View Post
:
4. Jumping - My back yard is fenced, but the fence is only about 4-5 feet tall (not sure exactly). I know some dogs can easily leap this and will bolt if given the chance. Either a dog that doesnt jump or a dog that won't run away would be great
Again, this depends on the size of the dog and the breed of the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan View Post
:
5. Swimming - As I said, I live near the water. I would love a dog that isn't afraid of the water, and would be even happier with one who enjoys swimming
Many dogs like water or will learn to like the water. This one shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan View Post
:

6. Temperment - I have 2 cats, and new children are in my 6-10 year plan (have to think 15 years ahead when getting a dog). As such, I would love a dog that is known to be gentle and good tempered.

I think thats about it. Let me know what you guys think of!
Well this is something that you can work on if you get a puppy, or if you adopt a rescue than this is something that should already be known about them.

Good Luck.
__________________
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made. -M. Acklam
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.