Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 14th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Tommysmom, my 3 cats LOVE Pet-Values Performatrin Life Stages canned,so I have to go there,also other than bad-mouthing Orijen,I really like the storeowner.
I go to Global(quiet far away for me)and buy Chicken-Soup-For-Cat-Lovers-Soul,the owner,although he does not know me,orders it especially for me and 2 other owners,that's service
The truth is,a store owner will promote what they sell,it took a long time for Pet Value to even get Wellness.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Will start a new one if need be. We did stop the fish oil on Monday. However, I just (around 3:15AM) have her out for liquid poo. Consider that she normally sleeps from 10:00 or 11 until 8 in the morning. Looks like I'll be calling the vet, and when my better had gets home from work be taking a sample in to the vet. I don't think that can wait 3 weeks, and if it's giardia the Interceptor does nothing for that.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Bland diet (1/3 boiled lean ground beef and 2/3 rice), sample collected and will be taken in this evening. Their concern is the mucous, although it's not there every time.
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Tommysmom, my 3 cats LOVE Pet-Values Performatrin Life Stages canned,so I have to go there,also other than bad-mouthing Orijen,I really like the storeowner.
I go to Global(quiet far away for me)and buy Chicken-Soup-For-Cat-Lovers-Soul,the owner,although he does not know me,orders it especially for me and 2 other owners,that's service
The truth is,a store owner will promote what they sell,it took a long time for Pet Value to even get Wellness.
Global is called Ryan's here, they do the same thing for me... they order in my Solid Gold and the owner/manager has been so wonderful helping me out with cookies, treats and foods that don't contain any chicken fat. She was on vacation a few weeks back in the US and found a new kind of cookie that Tommy could eat, and ordered it in for us as soon as she got back - how can you beat that kind of customer service!
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Tommysmom,you cannot,what bums me out,is that he's never even seen me before and still does it for me.
He just needs me to call a week before I need the CSFCS.
I wish Rens Pet Depot,where I've gone for at least 12yrs and bought everything,from catfood to birdseeds,corn for Squirrels etc.would give me that service,but the son is now running the store,what a differenceif only a few people buy the product,he'll take it off the shelves.
I guess it's called progress,but it often leaves customers by the wayside.
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

I was feeding Spencer & Sydney for about 4 months and they did not do well on it. Spencer had actually dropped down to about 23lbs (17 inch beagle) and I could not get him to gain any weight back. He was even up to 2 cups a day (which was double the amount of what he was getting on Fromm 4 Star) and nothing. I was also advised my many people (vet, behaviourist, books I read) to lower the protein % in his food because of his severe separation anxiety. I know that a lot of people don't agree that they are linked at all but it's not like they were doing well on it anyway. I now have them on Merrick and they are doing well on that one.

Orijen seems to be hit and miss, I have heard of dogs doing great and then others will shed horribly, get runny eyes and in my case, lose a lot of weight. It is a good quality food and if it can work for you then that's awesome, unfortunately, it wasn't for us.
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:37 AM

I can't find Orijen anywhere but my dog has done well on California Naturals Lamb and Rice and now is on Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato. I think the only food he didn't seem to do well on was Evo RM, he was all jittery and wired all the time... I do like the idea of feeding grain free though, so will probably switch him again sometime. I like to feed him a variety (he can be picky), and often top his kibble off with some wet food or green tripe, which he LOVES. True that what is good for one dog is not always good for another even if it is high quality food.

My dog eats poo too esp seems to like 'poopsicles'. I think he learned this from his neighbor dog buddy. I had thought at one point switching his food had helped but he is doing it again now that things are good and frozen. On the other hand, maybe was feeding him a different brand back then. Really, I should be keeping a food diary on all my animals, so I know what works and what doesn't... sometimes it is hard to remember as they each have their own little issues and they haven't always been on the same brands all the time.
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963
Old February 16th, 2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I started a new thread - http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49519
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM

I was feeding my GS Iams for the pass 4 months and now he's on Orijen which he loves. But I went to this webpage:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

and they say there is too much protein for puppies. I went through the whole food bank and whatever is for puppies thats suppose to be the best food all says not good for puppies cause of the protein.

Im just wondering if i should continue now with the food. Not cause its not good for the dog i know its one of the best but is it really going to damage him cause hes still a pup or its blown out of proportion
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
-

It's not the protein you have to worry about...it's the calcium and phosphorous. I posted a thread about it before....I'll go see if I can find it.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:15 PM
-

Here's the thread....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48372
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:47 AM

Is he doing good on Orijen? Then keep him on it! After 6 months of age it's not generally thought to be an issue, and rainbow pointed you in the right direction for information.

On another note, Shabbado is doing great on Orijen now with 3 solid movements a day now that she's been de-wormed. We're training her away from eating her poop through close supervision, either on a leash or a 30 foot line if we're playing in the yard. Once the snow melts we'll train her to go in one area of the yard.

A side note: Shabba loves her kibble so much that it also makes a great training treat! I carry a handful in my pocket for walks and when playing in the yard. She'll drop the ball consistently yet!
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:45 AM

Mixing Food

I am wondering if it is okay to mix two dog food together? My puppy was on orijen large breed puppy and had softer stools so i was going to switch to wellness puppy but is not for large breed. I have been mixing the two together and my puppys stool is looking good. I was thinking of keeping him on a mixture of the two. Is this okay?
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:08 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to feed your pup that way. There are different ways to feed your pup kibble. Rotating between different brands is a good way to mix things up a bit. IMhumbleO mixing is also okay. How old and how big is your pup now?
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtomlinson View Post
I am wondering if it is okay to mix two dog food together? My puppy was on orijen large breed puppy and had softer stools so i was going to switch to wellness puppy but is not for large breed. I have been mixing the two together and my puppys stool is looking good. I was thinking of keeping him on a mixture of the two. Is this okay?
I mix two kinds together for my pup... he likes it, he does well on both of them, so I don't mess with the program LOL. No harm in mixing at all as long as your pup does well on the foods you're giving.
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Miller just turned 7 months and is 64lbs. I'm thinking of trying him on innova, just in the middle of doing some research. i'm a little hesitant with wellness as it is not specially formulated for large breed puppys.
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM

I started to feed my pup Orijen and today went to the vet for his 3rd shot and he advise me to get off the puppy food cause my dog is grown way too fast and start adult food. He will be 5months old in one week and already weighs 70lbs. Said he has a bit of joint problems cause he press on his elbows and the dog whinned. THen i told the vet well if you press on my elbows i will yell too...Then he said before getting him neutered we should have an xray done for his hips. NOw all of that got me thinking cause i know the parents of my dog had NO joint or hip problems cause they both had xrays done. So i called the owner of my dog cause he raises K9's for RCMP, S/R dogs for others etc etc....I would trust him more for an opinion. First the owner said Orijen has 42% of protien with is too much for a pup...All dogs should not exceed 25%. Bigger the dogs hard it will be on them for any joints later just like Humans...So now im just wondering whats out there that has NO grain or gluten and 25% of protein...I was talking to my son in Alberta and he said there was a special document on TV on dog food and he was saying Alpo was on dog food that put melamine in it...yes the stuff you do cupboards with "Melamine Cupboards" he also mentions that you should see the other crap they put in dog food and its all a scam...He mention that one of the spokewoman that did the show said "I cant mention names but I feed my dog Kibbles and Bits" hmmmmmm makes you wonder at times what to give your dog...

The owner of my dog said he doesent keep any GSD more than 100lbs cause he gets rid of them. They are way too big and should never be that weight. He likes to see a few ribs on his GSD or any big breeds. So all this to say, im clueless with all this dog food and too much protein in dog food...

Last edited by Ford; July 7th, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:31 PM

How long have you been feeding the Orijen Puppy? From what I've read, bone growth issues have more to do with mineral content (ash, etc), and not as much with protein amount. You could always check out the info on Orijen's website or if it's not there, write to the company with your concerns. I've found that they have been very helpful when I've had questions. But in the end, no matter what the answers are, you have to go with a food you're comfortable with.
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM

Oh its only 3 weeks that ive started with Orijen...i know its not because of that food that my dog is big cause he was big before 3 weeks ago too..lol

but here is a good webpage of all the best dog food and cat

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

and the best would be in the 6star section and it does tell you 42% is too much for a puppy ..have a look you will see...
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:10 AM
-

It is NOT the protein you have to be concerned about. It is the calcium and especially the phosphorus content that matter. There is a thread somewhere here about it......I'll go see if I can find it.
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:14 AM
-

Here is the thread. Click on all the websites for further information....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ium+phosphorus
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM

Petcurean has a new food NOW! that is around that protein level. Here is the link http://petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=160
I have recently started using it with one of my dogs, who is kinda lazy, but I wanted Grain Free less calories, and I like that it's render free (my dog like the taste too)
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Smile I love Orijen cat food!!!

I have recently adopted two shorthair male cats. Jasper & Jinx. Jinx is about 10 lbs and Jasper is over 15 lbs. They are eating Orijen dry cat food and love it. They hardly shed any hair. Their fur is shiny and very soft. As for the bathroom business.....they use the litterbox less, it is less smelly, and smaller firmer stools. I feed them less food than regular pet food brands. I am really impressed with Orijen.....my only concern was I have also heard really good things about Go! Natural cat food-grain free formula.......

I just wonder if this is a better product as it seems almost identical to Orijen....

Anyone have any good/bad news about either Orijen or Go Natural cat food?

All feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I should also comment that even though these pet foods appear to be more expensive.....they are not in the long run as you should find that your pet will eat less......you don't have to feed as much as you would with the cheaper brands and the health benefits are amazing and so worth it.

Good luck to you all finding the right food for your beloved pets!!!
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:57 PM
-

I have been feeding my cats Orijen for almost a year now. We have had no problems and they both love it. Go Natural is also a good quality food but I "think" it is more expensive.
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Cat's like variety, there's no reason why you can't feed both. I'd get a trial size of the go natural first to make sure they like it.

Cindy
Old April 5th, 2008, 07:55 PM

I'm new here and I am hoping someone will be able to give me some help!

I have a 4 month old Cairn Terrier who is about 9lbs I would say and has been on the Orijen puppy food for 2 months now, since the day I got him home! But what we are having is some of the most nasty smelling dog farts I have ever come across!! His poo is soft also and stinks as well.

Should I change his dog food? I really, really don't want to since I love this food for him but when the dog smells more then the baby with a poopy diaper, its gross!! I've lowered the amount I give him and still stinky. Should I try the adult? Or what about the other dog food thats made in Saskatchewan, Horizen? What is causing it????
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM

I compared the GO! to Orijen and the GO! uses chicken meal first and Orijen chicken meat.
The Orijen has botanicals too, but not sure what I think about that for cats!
JMHO
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Goldie owner

An old post I'm replying to but in case anyone else is reading it, our golden retriever has been on Orijen for about 6 months and doing very well. Yes, his BM's are pretty potent as some have noted, but his health is the main thing. He used to be on Iams and would occasionally turned his nose up at it, but since the switch to Orijen he's eaten most meals. He is very active (we run him at least 10 Kms a day) and eats 3 cups in the morning and 3 cups at supper time.
Old November 6th, 2008, 04:10 PM

I've noticed really smelly poops as well. We are using Orijen cat food for our three adult cats and six kittens. I'm happy to hear we aren't the only ones having this issue. Two of cats currently have tummy troubles so I'm glad to hear the smelliness could just be the food. If they are healthier I can live with the smell. I really like that Orijen is made in Canada.
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtomlinson View Post
I have a 6 month old goldendoodle (50lbs) and he has been on orijen large breed puppy for months. His stool however is the consistancy of soft ice cream and he has at least 3 bowl movements a day which are very smelly. I don't think his stool should be like that. He is a healthy weight and gets 4 cups a day. He also has very itchy skin, no redness or dryness though. I give him artic vigour as a suppliment. I'm thinking of switching foods but not sure what to switch to, any suggestions? maybe the artic vigour is the problem? Does wellness make a large breed puppy formula? could he be allregic or just have itchy skin? Thanks
Just noticing that you said you feed Orijen and your puppy eats 4 cups a day.Melvin weighs 65 pounds and eats 3 cups a day. Are you feeding the recommended amount ? If you are feeding over the recommended amount that might be your problem.