Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 14th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Very aggravating and they have to send me the ultimate email ever to stop me from switching at this point.
or a year's free supply of WK! so there

all kidding aside... it's a bit depressing that you can't trust any company these days. always sneaky marketing lurking around. whether it's the size of the bag of chips that shrinks while the price stays the same, or a suble change of ingredients in food (pet or human) that MOST people would never notice unless you're really vigilent... i just hate feeling like the wool is being pulled over my eyes. ya know?...

if SG were honest, they would at least put "new recipe" or "new formula" or something like that on their new bags. who knows... they might?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
or a year's free supply of WK! so there
only if it was pomaceless and natural flavor free...

I did notice on the new Hundnflocken and Holistique blendz bags there was a little thing bragging about their anniversary or something, but it wasn't on the WK so I figured this was an older bag and I'd worry about it next time. I really have to figure out a way to get the Timberwolf Ocean blue here fast.
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:59 PM
-

Wasn't there news somewhere, not too long ago, that Solid Gold changed ownership? I think I heard that there were two partners and one bought the other one out.
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:01 PM

I dunno. That sort of thing isn't broadcast.. Affects the reputation... I thought there was only one lady who owned it...
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Honest Contributor

it's amazing how many top kibbles are available only in BC i found 3 or 4 that alot of folks here would love to get their hands on. NO FAIR!

Old September 14th, 2006, 10:08 PM

They also have a lot more high end doggy spas and things over there too.
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:15 PM
-

Enlighten me...what's the 2 or 3 dog foods we got that you don't besides Timberwolf?

Prin, I'm going to see if I can find the story (rumour?) about the split with the two owners.
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Performance Spaniels

WK is still the old ingredient list on the site so it hasn't happened yet, and you may still get old bags for a while.

I'm also not paying prices like that for crummier food. Tomato pomace isn't worth much. Nor is the grainier factor. That's not what I'm paying for.

It's irrelevant what their pamphlet says. It's all pro company propaganda in reality. They can tell you all they like, like other companies pushing synth. vitamin K as awesome.
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:22 PM

TO is a very important one... Other than that, some foods we have access to but only if we special order. Like the Evo red meat- have to special order. Or any DVP that isn't duck.

Of course, I'm going to have to shop around but from what I hear, most stores carry one or two formulas per company and maybe 4 or 5 holistic companies, so that's not a lot of choice.
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Enlighten me...what's the 2 or 3 dog foods we got that you don't besides Timberwolf?
http://www.petchefexpress.ca/

http://www.pets1st.com/pets1st.asp?p...od%20%3E%20Dry

and timberwolf organics... i can find a few others i'm sure!

Old September 14th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Honest Contributor

prin! now is the time... new kitchen, new freezer, new diet: go raw! LOL

man i've been searching non-stop and it's TOUGH to find limited-ingredient holistic foods (nothing chicken, for example).

Old September 14th, 2006, 10:34 PM

yep, very hard.
I'm going to have to scour the town for somebody who is willing to order me something else. I'm gonna have to compile a list.
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:38 PM
-

TD.... the Pet Chef Express one has Vitamin K listed as an ingredient and I bet it is definitely menadione. The other site I couldn't find an ingredient list.

Prin...besides the TO how come the store can't get all the Innova and DVP products? If they can get one they should be able to order whatever you want with no additional cost to them.
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:41 PM

They can order them, but they need notice... It's hard to never forget... Much easier if they have it in stock, you know...

Techno! They're listening to you! http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/RAW.html
Old September 15th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
They can order them, but they need notice... It's hard to never forget... Much easier if they have it in stock, you know...

Techno! They're listening to you! http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/RAW.html
Very interesting..
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Honest Contributor

definitely a new trend... "premium" petfood companies/ labels are now selling their own versions of pre-made raw foods. i'm so happy. this means the consumer demand for natural foods is increasing! the only drawback is that premade raw food is very expensive for the average dog owner, unless you have a small dog that doesn't eat much. so it's not accessible to everyone thankfully the alternative is there: make your own! just have to spread the word.

hey prin, any progress on finding a new food for the kids? I can't wait to see what SG writes back to you and it's d*mned good!

Old September 15th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Can anyone put up the new ingredients lists for the Mmillennium & Barking at the Moon?

I need to go shopping soon and want to make a decision re: whether it is still worth the money. BatM is pretty pricy.
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Mmillennia:

Beef, Beef meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, Millet, Rice Bran, Canola Oil, Ocean Fish Meal, Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dried Chicory Root, Parsley Flakes, Pumpkin Meal, Almond Oil, Sesame Oil, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Thyme, Blueberries, Cranberries, Carrots, Broccoli, Vitamins and Minerals.

Barking at the Moon:

Salmon Meal, Beef, Potatoes, Potato Protein, Canola Oil, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil (Source of DHA), Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dried Chicory Root, Parsley Flakes, Pumpkin Meal, Almond Oil, Sesame Oil, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Thyme, Blueberries, Cranberries, Carrots, Broccoli, Vitamins and Minerals.
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:19 AM

I haven't actually noticed that they are selling these new formulas yet - everything I have seen is still the old stuff - probably take a little while to get rid of the old before they are distributing the new????
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Thanks a bunch!

Hmmm ... look like BatM hasn't changed from what I'm using but they've really been changing around the Mmillenium formula
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

TD, could you imagine measuring out ~130 cubes of the frozen food for dakotah? (24 cubes/8 oz, 42 oz for 100 lbs=126 cubes, dakotah would probably need even more
)
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM

For sure! It definitely shows that they are listening to the consumers. BUT as you also pointed out, high demand usually means high prices. For the average person who would like to feed a raw diet but doesn't feel they have the time to do it, this might appeal. But wow, most of these pre-made raw diets, you almost have to have a small dog to feed them. No way I could feed my Bullmastiff on some of these diets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
definitely a new trend... "premium" petfood companies/ labels are now selling their own versions of pre-made raw foods. i'm so happy. this means the consumer demand for natural foods is increasing! the only drawback is that premade raw food is very expensive for the average dog owner, unless you have a small dog that doesn't eat much. so it's not accessible to everyone thankfully the alternative is there: make your own! just have to spread the word.

hey prin, any progress on finding a new food for the kids? I can't wait to see what SG writes back to you and it's d*mned good!
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
TD, could you imagine measuring out ~130 cubes of the frozen food for dakotah
heck NO! it's ridiculous. there are premade mixes that are sold in 1/2 lb frozen patties, which is much better to deal with when you have a bigger dog, but still!

i'm curious about the dehydrated food though. I don't know anyone who feeds this... anyone here? yes? no? raise your hands!

Old September 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Yeah..126 cubes omg lol.

I've seen the dehydrated at our pet store but I dont know anyone who feeds it either. Seems interesting.

What gets me about all these foods is that you miss out on one of the main benifits from feeding raw. Crunching bones helps keep teeth nice and white. My pup inhales kibble. Theres no chewing at all when he eats kibble. Hell when he ate chicken it was chomp chomp gulp! lol I think i have a vid somewhere here with him eating some chicken.

For anyone interested...
right click & save
http://www.scottsite.ca/images/Bulli...hickenwing.wmv
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Honest Contributor

scott what a cuuuutie! what a good puppy he was. you should hear the crunch-fest at my house when the dogs attack the bonier stuff, LOL! you either love that sound, or it makes your hair stand on end. i'm in-between, it depends on my mood i think

i'm tempted to buy a bag of that dehydrated stuff to try it out next time i travel with the pooches. i just don't know if they would like it

Old September 15th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Thanks..gezz that was almost 3 months ago now. Back in june. Hes much larger now. Should be around the 65lb mark if I had to guess.

I dont mind the crunching sound. The only one that gets to me is when he brings a bit back up to chew it some more. That gaging kinda sound..that gets to me lol

Doh, I've taken this way off topic
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Performance Spaniels

I just bought 33 pounds of wk.. lady who owns it was horrified about changes coming up she hadn't heard and she's totally on tha bal on food..

The barking she had was new ingredients though.. and the wolf king was still okay..
And she had evo RM on the shelf.. I decided to try a 5 pound bag of dvp for now.. since I don't want the new barking either..
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I dont mind the crunching sound. The only one that gets to me is when he brings a bit back up to chew it some more. That gaging kinda sound..that gets to me lol
i've heard about dogs doing that luckily... hasn't happened here! big dogs, big tummies, LOL!

sorry for going too.... it's hard to stay on track when talking about food, isn't it? So, has anyone heard back from SG yet?

Old September 15th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Haven't heard anything yet
Old September 15th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Me neither. No reply from the company. Are you sure the flyer you got was legit? Probably is.

Still haven't figured out what to feed my furries either.