Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 14th, 2006, 10:25 AM

Solid Gold Wolf King ingredients change!

So - I just got the new Solid Gold pamphlet in the mail and it looks like the ingredients have changed for the Solid Gold Wolf King:

Although the bag I have is still the old version.

Here is the new version from the pamphlet:

Bison, Salmon Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Millet, Cracked Pearled Barley, Rice Brain, Canola Oil, Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dried Chicory Root, Parsley Flakes, Pumpkin Meal, Almond Oil, Sesame Oil, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Thyme, Blueberries, Cranberries, Carrots, Broccoli, Vitamins and Minerals.

They actually have Rice Brain listed - how do they exactly extract the brain from the rice - must be difficult?
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Now that I look - the hund-n-flocken is different too:

Lamb, Lamb Meal, Ocean Fish Meal, Brown Rice, Millet, Cracked Pearled Barley, Canola Oil, Tomato Pomace, Rice Bran, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dried Chicory Root, Amaranth, Parsley Flakes, Spearmint, Almond Oil, Sesame Oil, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Kelp, Thyme, Blueberries, Cranberries, Apples, Lentils, Quinoa, Vitamins and Minerals.

Wow - some healthy looking stuff! I just cooked up some quinoa for the first time the other night and wondered if it would be a good grain for dogs - a little expensive but a very complete protein source - for a grain!

Last edited by SuperWanda; September 14th, 2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Honest Contributor

wow... they're actually downgrading their ingredients?... doesn't look too spectacular anymore...

Quote:
Bison, Salmon Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Millet, Cracked Pearled Barley, Rice Brain, Canola Oil, Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dried Chicory Root, Parsley Flakes, Pumpkin Meal, Almond Oil, Sesame Oil, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Thyme, Blueberries, Cranberries, Carrots, Broccoli, Vitamins and Minerals.
One meat source: salmon meal
Followed by 5 grains (mmmm rice brain!)
then the other meat source (bison, when you take the moisture out, it falls behind the list..)
canola oil is not the best
tomato pomace is not a good ingredient
natural flavor... what is that??
...and then the other ingredients are in such small quantities (since after the 1st source of fat) that they offer practically no benefits other than flavorings... if anything is left after all that cooking process.

sounds pretty expensive for a very grainy kibble IMO. and some not-so-great ingredients in there now. hmmm. guess they can get away with it now, since they're riding on a "good reputation" and who looks at & dissects ingredients anyways? well except people like us, LOL!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:59 AM

I agree with you on the Wolf King - I actually just e-mailed them to ask what the Natural Flavor is. I also asked what the amount (in pounds) of meat they use compared to grain.

I think the Hund-N-Flocken looks better though - with the three first ingredients. Don't like the tomato pomace either but there could be worse things I guess.

I'll let you know what their response is regarding the natural flavour.
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Honest Contributor

be sure to also ask them what "Ocean Fish Meal" is... if the source is not identified (sardine meal, salmon meal, etc) then it's a questionable ingredient... aka "mystery meat"

Old September 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Prin's not going to be too pleased....

Harley - 8 year old Beagle x Dobie
Jet - 10 month old Labrador Retriever
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Honest Contributor

yeah but still not a reason to stop feeding it. IMO, there is a LOT of competition out there now and companies should be upgrading their ingredients, not the other way around.

with all the money SG is making though... you'd think they would hire a proofreader for the literature they send out! their website has not been updated yet re: new ingredients.

all kidding aside... i wonder why they felt the recipe needed a change?

Old September 14th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

The changes don't seem that different, Looking at ingredients before the canola oil (which was always included) the only difference is that oatmeal is now the most prominent grain, and if you look immediately after the oil, tomato pomace and natural flavors are added. How much of a difference does switching a grain and then changing the final ingredients make?
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Honest Contributor

i guess it,s about playing with the "purity" of the ingredients. other kibbles are now more on par if you compare the overall formula. why did they add tomato pomace and "natural flavor" if the original recipe was good to begin with? it's just cheap additions... no nutritional value. you know?

Old September 14th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
i guess it,s about playing with the "purity" of the ingredients. other kibbles are now more on par if you compare the overall formula. why did they add tomato pomace and "natural flavor" if the original recipe was good to begin with? it's just cheap additions... no nutritional value. you know?
True, but like you said, I don't think it quanitfies a change in foods. If I was already feeding it, I wouldn't change just because of this.
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Looks like all the formulas are different - comparing the old and new pamphlets. Adding the same new stuff they have added to the wolfking and hund-n-flocken.

I'll send another e-mail about the ocean fish meal - never thought about that - thanks!
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I don't think it quanitfies a change in foods. If I was already feeding it, I wouldn't change just because of this.
i never said this... read below, i said
Quote:
but still not a reason to stop feeding it. IMO, there is a LOT of competition out there now and companies should be upgrading their ingredients, not the other way around.

just trying to be objective.

Old September 14th, 2006, 12:30 PM
-

We discussed the "pomace" ingredients a little while ago. Tomato pomace isn't bad but I wonder why they added it?

Not a big enough diff to stop feeding it IMO although "rice brain" sounds kinda yucky.
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
i never said this... read below, i said

just trying to be objective.
huh? what did you mean by "yeah but still not a reason to stop feeding it." then?
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Honest Contributor

i meant "yeah not a reason to stop feeding it".

i don't see what you don't see?

the addition of the new ingredients is not a reason to stop feeding the kibble. maybe i should use more words

Old September 14th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
i meant "yeah not a reason to stop feeding it".

i don't see what you don't see?

the addition of the new ingredients is not a reason to stop feeding the kibble. maybe i should use more words
I was just agreeing with you... but then you said that you never said that (I mean obviously not the same words, but I was just saying that, like you, I didn't think it was a good reason to switch foods)
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:06 PM
-

Sure can be frustrating trying to communicate in cyberspace.
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Honest Contributor

good lord! my head is spinning! LOL

i know we all speak English here but sometimes... words are like stumbling blocks, uugghhh. anyways. YES we are agreeing to the same thing, cuz we be good folks!

but... hard day today. nevermind the rain, last night's insomnia, my pms headache, this morning bf tried to intervene in a dog scruffle and ended up at the hospital with 5 stitches to his right hand. of course he had forgotten to renew his health insurance card last year, so had to pay $500 for the visit. and got a parking ticket to top it off. do i feel happy today? not really... so please forgive me

Old September 14th, 2006, 01:58 PM
-

Quote:
but... hard day today. nevermind the rain, last night's insomnia, my pms headache, this morning bf tried to intervene in a dog scruffle and ended up at the hospital with 5 stitches to his right hand. of course he had forgotten to renew his health insurance card last year, so had to pay $500 for the visit. and got a parking ticket to top it off. do i feel happy today? not really... so please forgive me

Still

Aww, TD, sorry to hear about your crappy day.

Was the scruffle with the beanies? Bummer about the parking ticket. Will he get reimbursed from your health insurance?
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Honest Contributor

(apologies in advance for hijack, will get back on topic after this....)

Quote:
Was the scruffle with the beanies? Bummer about the parking ticket. Will he get reimbursed from your health insurance?
scuffle was another dog humping dakotah at the park. of course neither dog got a scratch... and the idiot owner (a little lady) said it happened all the time but usually her dog submitted when put on its back. today it didn't. anyways... hubby is in deep **** with me and he know it. I think he can get reimbursed for the hospital visit but lord only knows... hey does anyone here know?...

note to self: should start a new thread....

Old September 14th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Performance Spaniels

Anyone going to write a grouchy email?

I need to buy dog food.. likely it will be an old bag.. likely I'll be switching after this bag because I'm unimpressed and will point out they are losing my business.
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

When did this switch take place??
WTF??? Just FINALLY put my dogs on a good food and now it too isnt good??
I cant wait to start the raw diet! Atleast then ( with a little research) I'll know that theyll be eating GOOD food!
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:20 PM

I done it already (emailed). I'm so pissed. Yes, tomato pomace and natural flavoring is enough to warrant a switch. When you're paying $71 (incl tax) for a bag, you don't want tomato pomace (by-product with pesticides on it!) in it, nor do you want mystery flavoring either when you are feeding this food because of sensitivities..

What they did was boost the fast fibers (GRAINS!!! ) and then add slow fiber (tomato pomace) to harden it up. And since the grains have to replace something, of course it's the meat, so it doesn't taste as good, so hey, let's add flavor!! What flavor? That's in my email. I don't trust "natural flavor". Usually that's chicken. Merrr!!

People suck.

But like I've always said, WK is great until somebody proves otherwise. And so they have.

Last edited by Prin; September 14th, 2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310
When did this switch take place??
WTF??? Just FINALLY put my dogs on a good food and now it too isnt good??
I cant wait to start the raw diet! Atleast then ( with a little research) I'll know that theyll be eating GOOD food!
It hasn't happened yet, but it's coming. Sorry, Erykah.:sad:
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Papa D

the food is still good....and safe.......i'm still feeding atleast untill i find something scary.........i still think that its a high quality food......the price did drop at my supplier though.....$6.00 on the mid size bag.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Honest Contributor

interesting re: the price drop. is this happening anywhere else?

prin... i'm so sorry i hope you get a speedy and satisfactory reply from SG.

Old September 14th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I dont know much about dog food, and im not going to claim that i do.
But what Prin sais about the grains and tomato pomace makes sence. To me it seems like its almost borderline vegitarian! ( just my take) however im not going to put them back on Pedigree or anything like that.
But for just over $80 a bag ( round here anyway) it seems kind of nuts!
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:44 PM

Not that I know as much as you guys but in my pamphlet it says the tomato pomace is a source of lycopene, a potent antioxidant. I understand the pesticide concern - don't know if they use organic tomatoes - can't find anything saying that.

My pamphlet also describes the ocean fish meal as fish rich in iron, calcium and vitamins A&D, as well as EFA's (but it doesn't specifically say what species of fish).

Still haven't heard any replies about what the natural flavor is.

We'll have to see what they say - I hope they reply soon - the last time I asked questions the answers came the next day! Maybe these are harder question though...
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:44 PM

Yeah it did go down over here last winter too. I wondered why. The cynic in me thinks they knew all along and just roped us in with great ingredients before pulling the switcheroo. IMO, that's why there's such a difference in quality between the WK and the Hundnflocken- Hund is older, so they probably already switched it a while ago.

Then they switched Barking after the initial entusiastic word-of-mouth went around... (Now potatoes are #1)

They just wait until they think you're not going to look at the ingredients anymore and then they pull the switch.

Very aggravating and they have to send me the ultimate email ever to stop me from switching at this point.
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWanda
Not that I know as much as you guys but in my pamphlet it says the tomato pomace is a source of lycopene, a potent antioxidant. I understand the pesticide concern - don't know if they use organic tomatoes - can't find anything saying that.
If lycopene was what they were after, they'd put whole tomatoes in there. But they don't. They put the peels and juiceless crap in there as a stool hardener.