Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Books

Old March 31st, 2006, 07:45 PM

Anyone care to dissect Harry Potter?

Yes, I know they're supposed to be children's books, but they're really, really good! Is there anyone here who would like to discuss the books?
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I love the Harry Potter books! I've read every one and I can't wait for the next. The last one took me two days to read!!!
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:51 PM

I'm interested! What do you want to talk about? Do you think Harry will survive the last book?
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:06 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I honestly don't know what to expect with the next book. There are so many different scenarios that JK Rowling could take. I just can't wait for it.

As W4F stated in another thread, do you think Dumbledore is really dead? I think there is a good possibility that he's still alive, but then I'm not sure because his picture did go onto the wall of the headmasters office with all the others that are deceased. I hope he's not because I think Harry needs the support and guidance of Dumbledore, though there were times that he didn't realize he needed it or know Dumbledore was doing the right thing for his wellbeing. But then, Harry did drop out of Hogwarts so would it be possible to still have easy ties there? What about the Ministry of Magic? What are they going to do now? They've been so wrong for so long and wouldn't believe the reality in front of them, so what are they going to do now???
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I read only the first one. I enjoyed it and I thought that Ms. Rowling has a great imagination and also a great understanding of kids' imaginations.

I just wanted to put in my two cents, that a friend of ours lives in England and works as an extra in television and films. He was in a Bond film and now has a role in the new Harry Potter. He has lines in this one I believe. At any rate, he showed us pictures he took on the set and it was really fascinating. He's one of the old photographs in the hall, so we saw the hair and make up process, and also pics from the filming of the quidditch sequence. Is that right? Quidditch?

Anyway, you know what I mean. It was very cool to see the equipment used to keep the young'uns flying.
Old April 1st, 2006, 11:53 AM
owned by Tucker

I still haven't finished the 4th book, and I do have the 5th. I have seen 3 of the movies, I really enjoy them and so does my 16 year old son, mind you he was younger when we started reading them, but she is a good author.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:45 AM

I found this interesting. Posted on Sept 13 2006, when JK was interviewed.

'Tonight's audience was treated with much more informative and revealing answers than yesterday. Here are a few highlights (again, paraphrased):

If you could bring one of your characters to life -- other than Harry -- who would it be? Hagrid. We all want a Hagrid in our lives.

(Question about Aunt Petunia's potential to love Harry): I will say this... There's a little more to Aunt Petunia than meets the eye.

(Question about upcoming deaths): You shouldn't expect Dumbledore to pull a Gandalf. I need to be more explicit: Dumbledore is definitely dead. I know there's an entire site out there called DumbledoreIsNotDead.com, and I'm sorry they're not going to like this answer.

If you could host five of your own characters for dinner, who would they be? Harry, Ron, and Hermione... [Rowling pauses; thinks about a different character who's dead but does not say his/her name. King interjects: "they could be dead"]. Dumbledore.... [another pause]. Hagrid.

So Dumbledore is truly dead.

Here is the site.http://www.hpana.com/news.19531.html

Ebony - miniature schnauzer
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivers
(Question about upcoming deaths): You shouldn't expect Dumbledore to pull a Gandalf. I need to be more explicit: Dumbledore is definitely dead. I know there's an entire site out there called DumbledoreIsNotDead.com, and I'm sorry they're not going to like this answer.
Yeah, I had heard this too. :sad: But, she also said it was a little more involved than that, so I think we will see DD communicate with Harry somehow - maybe through his portrait, maybe it has something to do with that mirror Sirius gave Harry, maybe through the veiled portal ... who knows what she has up her sleeve? I just know that I'm looking forward to book 7 with equal amounts of anticipation and dread.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:16 PM

I love Harry Potter too! They may be children's books, but everyone at the office is reading them . . .