Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old December 17th, 2004, 12:15 PM
<-----nut ball

gift ideas

Hello,

I'm having trouble finding a gift for my BF's parents. Problem is, BF's father works for HBC, and as such they can get basically anything they need cheap through HBC. And if I got them a gift certificate from there, they wouldn't be able to use their discount for it (they have to use HBC credit card to get the discount).

They have a lot of "Stuff" and don't really need anything. Baking is my specialty, but they don't like sweets (so can't do bottled cookie mix or anything like that).

I have some recipes for home made dressings and sauces, but they would only last in the fridge 2 weeks, and they probably wouldn't use them that fast.

They don't go out to movies or dinner, so gift certificates for that won't work.

Tonight is my last chance to hit the mall for gifts. I'm stuck....

anyone wanna give me $5000 for a trip to the philipines? I know they would love that!!
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:30 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Why not something from the LCBO? That is only if they like to have the occasional drink. Ask the staff that work there, they might be able to recommend something special!
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

That was going to be my suggestion. Do they have any hobbies, or do they collect anything? Also, what is your limit?
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:36 PM
<-----nut ball

Um...one already does a little too much of that...alcohol is forbidden.

Well..no hobbies...no collections (although they are packrats a little...lots of stuff everywhere).

I asked BF if maybe we should offer to do a junk removal, but he thought that might offend them.
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Maybe a small gift basket with some of there favorite foods in it.
Do they drink coffee? Tim Hortons has some great Christmas packages.
Last year I made my sister and brother in law a gift basket titled cold winters night, I put the following in it.
Baking sheet
Graham crackers
Marshmellow
Choco chips
2 mugs
hot chocolate
fleece throw
and 2 tree ornaments shapped like smores snowmen.
It cost under $20 to do, since we usually spend $40 on them I went to the NSLC and got them a $20 gift certificate.
The loved the gift.

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:42 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Specialty coffee gift basket??
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:44 PM
<-----nut ball

Hmm...coffee...didnt think of that one. they do drink coffee a lot.

Maybe i will order some hawaiin coffee online?? There's nothing like Lion Kona COffee from Hawaii. Before my BF's unble died who lived in Hawaii, they would get some every year. Now they don't get it anymore.
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:44 PM

My bfs parents are very hard to buy for also so we got them a maid since his mom has fybromyalga ( dont mind the spelling) not sure if that helps
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:46 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Spa certificate for two??
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:50 PM
<-----nut ball

I can't imagine my BF's father going to the SPA!! that would be hilarious!

I think it will be a coffee..something...
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Yea, I agree about the junk removal. You want to be VERY careful with stuff like that.

Gift packs are always safe (like Tim Horton's, or as you suggested, something from online). You could buy tickets for a show (not sure what's in town right now). Most people seem to enjoy those.
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:00 PM

How about a couple of blanket throws for the living room (thoes you can never have to many) as far as I'm concerned. This way if you do order the coffee, you can put a note in with the throws, hopeing they will keep them warm till the coffee gets there. Or an interesting wall or table clock with matching picture frames. Even tho HBC employed it is nice to have something from somewhere else. Just a few ideas.
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

gift ideas

How about a lovely plant? Can be a Christmas poinsetta or perhaps a Christmas cactus or an amaryllis that they can baby and watch bloom. Or something tropical to liven up their surroundings. This is the route I am going for my inlaws, who have everything and need nor want nothing!
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:05 PM
<-----nut ball

Thanks Crazy.

They actually have way to many of all those things. They have so many picture frames, they don't have enough places to put them. They also have tons of blankets, pillows, and too many clocks.

We were actually thinking of buying a nice frame and putting a pic of us in it for them...we'll see...since they already have a lot of pics..

Lezzer...they also have way too many plants...

Gosh..I never realised how much they have of everything. I thought I had a lot of plants (I have about 15 toripical plants and trees) but they have more. They are from the philipiines, so she even has some plants she smuggled from there when they moved here!
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:13 PM

So far if you put all these ideas together, what a wonderful goody pack.Start with a tray or big basket. Put in some diffren or specialty coffeesand or teas with an interesting plant, add a few diffrent cheese/ meats with fruitsand wrap it in a throw or a table cloth. This way after all is said and done there will be some for them to keep and some will be gone. Just a thought good luck.
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:14 PM

sorry for the extra thought.
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:20 PM

I'm glad I'm not in your shoes.....cause he would be getting a tie and she would be getting a house coat with her initals on it...Once again good luck hope you find something.
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:23 PM
<-----nut ball

Haha.

No worres crazy. Don't apologize. these are all great ideas!! I will keep them in mind for next year!!

It's just funny how much people try and find the perfect gift at this time of year.

So....guess what I just did? I went to Hilo Hatties online. I did some searching and they happen to sell Lion Coffee!! Yay! So I got 4 packs of coffee for BF's parents. THey had a huge sale too, so I got 2 for the price of one! about $8 US for 4 packs of their favorite coffe. And I know it won't be here by christmas oh well. BF will make a gift card for in their christmas card to say what they are getting. It will be shipped right to their house directly from hawaii!!
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Oh that is great. That must be a little bit of a relife. I going to keep the coffee thing in mind for my inlaw aniversary...Thank you.
Old December 17th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I know this is horrible but does anyone ever re-gift..I do
Old December 17th, 2004, 02:21 PM

Do they cook? You could try a spice rack with unusual spices on it, or cooking lessons if they REALLY like cooking. Or, you could make your own spice rack. Stock it with items you'd not usually see in an everyday spice rack.
Old December 17th, 2004, 02:23 PM
<-----nut ball

I totally do. at my work lots of the companies we work with send us food gift baskets. We eat the stuff we can (obviously certain things we can't eat like like jellies/jams/meats/cheeses). We save the things we can't eat in the office, and save the baskets/ribbons, etc. Then on christmas eve we have a name draw for the items. This year there is a nice hemp hat box that some organic cookies came in. I totally want it for giving another gift in.

Ohh. cooking classes would have been a neat idea!! They love to cook. A joint cooking class for both of them next year then!
Old December 17th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I thinbk all people that age (I am thinking my parents' age) are difficult to buy fior, They just have everything and every day is Christmas!! What about subscriptions to magazines. A friend of mine buys me one every year and it is THE best gift. The other day, my admin assist gave me the Gerneica print (you know the Picasso Spanish Civil War painting, my fav) - I was enthralled. So is there something like that they really want - yiou may have to do some sleuthing to find out.

My dad bought me a mustang (vehicle) for Xmas so there is no way I can top that gift, sigh (not to mention I hate the materialism of Xmas - the Picasso gift is still the best one, lol) My dad just knew I needed a new car!

Speaking of no materialism, how about a gift to a charitanle organization in their name. I used to do that for my grandmother - because she did not want a gift (I always filled her a VERY large sick anyway) - but she did want us to donate money to a hospital or Humane Society, that kind of thing. Are there any causes they would be pleased to support.

I know someone who just donated a million bucks to our hospital in his mom's name (His mom was a nurse). A wonderful gift!!
Old December 17th, 2004, 07:48 PM

Neat idea for Christmas

We started a tradition when my hubby and I first got together and now it is pretty much expected every year from his parents. He had not had a picture taken of him for probably 15 years then I came along. We now, every year give them a new picture of us ( and the rugrats) and a new Christmas ornament. I know that just an ornament sounds like a really cheap gift but my mother in law loves to see the unique one I find for them every year.

With those ideas for coffee have you ever seen those chocolate dipped spoons? You could even do them yourself and if you wanted to make them extra special use silver spoons instead of plastic ones.

A friend of mine always wraps her gifts for everyone in new Bath Sheets wrapped with raffia. It is one of the most unique gift wrapping ideas I have heard of yet.

Just a few suggestions from me here, I am not materialistic at all so I always give really simple gifts, and they always come from the heart.

One other thing you could give them is a dinner out ( but not in the form of a gift certificate) Make a card with an informal invitation to take them out to dinner with you guys. How much more personal can you get than that?
Old December 17th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I always find that the farther some one is from your age, the harder it is to shop for them. Same thing goes for males. I had no idea what to get James last year for Christmas (only together for 9 months at the time) so I just made a scrap book with all the pictures that I had of us, or any random ones of him. Which was only a few pages worth, but he liked it, and we are now adding to it, and now making it a family photo album. This year, he's getting a baby. And I may allow him to go pick out a new video game, (he makes every penny in our household)

My mom is wonderful doing gift baskets. What she does for "off to college" gifts is.... She goes out and buys a small laundry basket, and buys things that a college student will use i.e. notebooks, pens, pencils. and adds some snacks and quick lunches i.e. pudding, cup noodles, and also adds a lap blanket or throw pillow. They person who recieves the present LOVES it. They get so much, and it costs so little. You could always revise it for Christmas, as a present for anyone. You could even just get little gift baskets that you can put 4 or 5 small items in, and it would be very enjoyable
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Books!! I don't know anyone who doesn't love browsing through a bookstore and finding so many interesting books on every conceivable topic! A gift certificate at a bookstore and let them pick their own.

Personally, as you get older, you already have so much stuff. You become weighed down by it. What I really need and want is storage space! I always ask for something consumable - chocolates, cheeses, candles, soaps - something I can enjoy, use up, and not have to store or take care of! A good book can be passed on or donated to the library.