Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 19th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Found a cat with worms!

My dad has a cat that he found (it was in a dumpster) and almost dead. Dad has had it for about 2 weeks and it is doing alot better but Dad has to take the cat to the vet for it's shots and get it fixed and get it wormed because dad thinks it has alot of worms. I was wondering what they would do and how they go about worming a cat like that?
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesss04
My dad has a cat that he found (it was in a dumpster) and almost dead. Dad has had it for about 2 weeks and it is doing alot better but Dad has to take the cat to the vet for it's shots and get it fixed and get it wormed because dad thinks it has alot of worms. I was wondering what they would do and how they go about worming a cat like that?
If it is anything like horses an animal with alot of worm has to be handled carefully and wormed over a period of time, as agreesive worming can kill them all at once which can cause intestinal problems. This can kill a horse, but I doubt it would be as bad with a cat. A cat's digestive system is not as sensitive - horses can't vomit so what would be minor stomach upset to a dog or cat can kill a horse... anyway back OT ....

The best best with a cat like this one is to let the vet handle it, or tell you what to do at home... once the wormes are gone you can keep up with worm maintence with the over the counter wormers.
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Vet will give a prescription

Hasn't he taken the cat to the vets yet? Two weeks is a long time to wait. Does he plan on keeping the kittie?
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

He took the cat in the next day but the cat was so weak that they were afarid to give him that strong of a medication so the vet gave them special food and things to get him his strength back and than dad was told to bring him back so they could take care of it than. But they were afarid that it would be to much stress to do it all than because of his health. He was so weak that dad had to feed him for the first three days. I was just wondering if they would give him it once and than he would be fine or what. And was wondering if it killed them or he would throw up and he would have to clean them up or what would happen.
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I was just wondering if they would give him it once and than he would be fine or what. And was wondering if it killed them or he would throw up and he would have to clean them up or what would happen.
Not sure how they will handle it (with one dose - or lots of little ones) but the wormer will kill the worms and the cat will poop them out... the cat may get the runs but shouldn't throw-up with them.
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRA518
Not sure how they will handle it (with one dose - or lots of little ones) but the wormer will kill the worms and the cat will poop them out... the cat may get the runs but shouldn't throw-up with them.

Gross will they be dead? I hope so that is so nasty. I think once the cat gets better dad is going to keep it. He loves this cat. Can people catch worms from a cat?
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Gross will they be dead? I hope so that is so nasty. I think once the cat gets better dad is going to keep it. He loves this cat. Can people catch worms from a cat?
Yup they will be dead.. and yes it is gross.

And no- you can't "catch" worms from anywhere. People can get worms the same way animals do though - if you ingest the larvae... Animals are more prone to getting worms because they eat things off the ground that can be contaminated with worm larvae... things can be contaminated through contact with other animals poop... or larvae can be placed on the animals itself by flies - such as with bots - then the animals cleans it self and swallows the larvae. Human food is usually processed or decontaminated so that worms are not a big problem for people, but it is possible.

All animals should be wormed regularly - the type of animal and wormer you use will determine how often that is required. Pet wormers can be bought at most pet and department stores.
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Just had to say that the de-wormers from stores are absalutely garbage.They are a waste of money and don't work.

The vet will give your dad a de-wormer.And your dad will probably have to give it to the cat a few times.My kittens when adopted were put on a de-wormer from the vet.No they didn't have worms,but it was a precaution.

Also,you can catch "ring" worms from a cat...My nephew got it from a cat that ended up in my sisters barn.He was letting her climb all over him.She was laying on his tummy...Well sure enough they found out she had ring worms.And so did my nephew.You should have seen his tummy.. ...He was put on medication.This happened a few years ago.
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

k I will tell my dad to be careful I am sure that he already knows that. I have never had a cat that has worms. I just always went and got mine dewormed so I never worried about it. So that is something that is totally weird to me. Thank you all for your help!
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
Just had to say that the de-wormers from stores are absalutely garbage.They are a waste of money and don't work.

The vet will give your dad a de-wormer.And your dad will probably have to give it to the cat a few times.My kittens when adopted were put on a de-wormer from the vet.No they didn't have worms,but it was a precaution.

Also,you can catch "ring" worms from a cat...My nephew got it from a cat that ended up in my sisters barn.He was letting her climb all over him.She was laying on his tummy...Well sure enough they found out she had ring worms.And so did my nephew.You should have seen his tummy.. ...He was put on medication.This happened a few years ago.
Humm.. I didn't know cats could have ring worm.. though it was a large animal thing...good to know.

I didn't know that the store wormers were crap... Can you not buy the ones that the vet sells?.... I've always just bought mine for the dog/cat at the vet (just was there when I thought of it)... but the horse ones I get at the tack stores - and they all have the "vet use only" on the side (which is standard for horse supliments - yet they are sold everywhere )... figured it was the same for dog/cat ones - you can buy heartguard and such over the internet - is that type of thing not available at the pet stores too? - I must admit... I rarely go to pet stores - so I was just assuming it was.
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
Mona,

While I personally never use them (since Oliver only needs his annual wormer at the vet as he is also on Revolution, which contains a wormer and Nadia is an indoor catch so only gets wormed once a year as the closest she gets to catching anything is a fat housefly in the fall), I have received different information from vets regarding store bought wormers. A really good friend of my family is also my parent's small animal vet (ie not the horses). He has been practising a long time and is very respected. He actually told my parents on his own accord that for round worms and pin worms the wormer available from stores is just as effective as the wormer bought at the vet. He told them not to bother buying regular wormer from him. He does, however, supply thel wormer that takes care of tape worms (they live on an acerage/farm so the critter catch things and can pick them up).

Anyhow, that is my experience on this whole wormy issue....

Michelle
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Usually,with my cats,except they were kittens,one treatment from the vet is enough,depending on what kind of worms we are talking about.
No mess,just the regular poop,although a little loose.
This cat might have had worms for a while,so it might requier longer treatment.
Good of your dad to keep this kitty and take care of it
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, they way my dad talked he must have them pretty bad they were crawlingin and out of him so I am guess that means they are pretty bad. I mean I do not know because I have never had a cat that has had them. But, I will let you all know he goes to the vet first thing friday morning. I think at like 8:00 so hopefully they will get him taken care of than. He will also get his other shots and stuff.