Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 19th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Update Kitty out of surgery - fluid in lungs

Hello,

I don't know if you remember my post a week ago. My diabetic 16 year old cat was in for crystals in his bladder and then had to have an immediate 2nd emergency operation since the cathedar was lodged and he developed fluid in his lungs due to being under anesthia for so long.

He came home last Thursday night, but was not eating. I took him back to the vet on Sunday, they were to give him a appetite enhancement medication but he was still not interested in food.

Monday morning I got a call, he had fluid in his legs and they were having a hard time getting the needle in his legs to give him fluids. The vet said he might die Monday and he did.

This is so hard for me to speak about. I said good bye to the sweetest little soul I ever knew. He was honestly my best and most faithful friend. I truly wish there was a pill to mend my broken heart. I find myself numb and tears roll down my face at unexpected moments. I was fortunate enough that I was there to say good bye. I made the decision to take away his suffering and pain so his little sweet heart would not have to experience the obvious un-fixable pain and distress he was going thru. He was in too much distress for me to hold him in my arms as he passed away but I was able to catch him at just the right moment as he went limp. This awful moment keeps re-living itself over & over in my mind and I can't make it stop. I was very hard for me to walk away and leave him.

I miss him tremendously. I find reminders of him everywhere in my house. He loved sleeping in sunbeams with a nice breeze from the window being cracked open. His little food dishes and blankets are everywhere. He has little step stools all over the house that he used to help him get up on the furniture. Now he no longer is waiting for me outside the shower on the shower mat. He is not there to cuddle at night, we used to share one humongus pillow together and fall asleep watching tv. He insisted that his little head rested comfortably in my hand as we both fell asleep and his paw was always in my hand every night, as if we were holding hands. My heart just aches for my friend and it makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Last edited by Scooter Cat; May 19th, 2004 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spelling & more info to insert
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry about your friend. It is hard when we lose a friend. Some people make lite of it because it is an animal but they mean as much to us as a person. I am so very sorry. You are in my thoughts!
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:47 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this. Your baby had a very long happy life.

Take care,

Heather
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I"m so sorry. I know just how you feel. Of course you miss him terribly. You had a long and wonderful friendship and you did everything you could to help him.

He was a very lucky boy.