Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:21 AM

Cat with pee on fur after urinating

Hi Gang,

I am having a bit of a problem with one of my Mom's cats I am taking care of while we try to rehome them (she can no longer care for them and I work in the bush all summer).

After urinating in her litter box, the fur on her back legs is covered in urine. It is enough to leave marks on the floor where she sits afterwards. She has been tested and no UTI and all else seems normal.

Anyone else have this issue and how do you deal with it. She is going to get a bit of a bum shave at the groomers today but it seems to me it is going to be really tough to rehome this lovely furbaby.

Thanks, Lynn
Old March 8th, 2016, 11:45 AM

Oops, just wanted to add that she is actually a short-haired cat, but does have a fluffy bum.
Old March 8th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Is the litter being change often enough , if it's dirty the cat may be trying to hurry up and get out of it . Maybe you could try watching the cat pee to get an idea for to correct this situation , is the cat showing any signs of being in pain when she is getting into the box?
Old March 8th, 2016, 03:01 PM

Hi Barkingdog. I scoop the litter several times per day (I currently work from my home office). I have tried different types and depths. No, she takes her time in the litter. I tried watching her but don't see anything odd; not peeing up against the side and getting splashed etc.
Old March 8th, 2016, 06:48 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I wouldnt worry too much, a bum trim may be all she needs.

However, if she is overweight she wont be able to clean herself properly and that would be a whole other topic..

I know many folks who have to trim the hair because even litter and other gems get stuck to it...

I dont think that would hinder getting her adopted....
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 9th, 2016, 09:58 AM

Hi Winston,

She is a bit chunky (~ 12 lb)but not one of those really fat kitties, and can clean herself.

I had her trimmed and she still came out of the litter box with pee on her fur and some litter stuck to her. I wiped her off with a wet cloth to make sure she didn't get pee wherever she sat next.

You are far more optimistic than I am. I could not rehome her without telling people she tends to get pee on her fur. Given all the lovely unwanted cats, I doubt she would be first on anyone's list. I really hoped the shave would work.
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe the littler box is not wide enough for her if she a plus size kitty. How deep it the littler in the box , you could have too much littler in it and pee getting on her fur that way . My cats never had this problem .
Old March 9th, 2016, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. One box is a rubber maid tub with an entrance cut into it and the other is a large corner box by Nature's Miracle (I have the lid off). I initially had the litter quite deep but reduced that a few weeks ago. it is now about 2". Do you suggest going less than that? I will keep letting it get lower but she is digs quite a bit and don't want her peeing on the bottom of the pan.
Old March 9th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Then I guess it not the littler being too deep , I just tying to think of reasons this is happening. I hope you'll be able to find a nice home for her .
Old March 9th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I never thought to mention that perhaps she is incontinent. I know someone else started a thread about incontinence on this site. I thought they mentioned that it was a pill to fix it.

Has your moms kitty been spayed.

Please dont think I thought it was okay to rehome her with that issue. I just thought by the beginning of your topic she might have been a furry kitty needing a trim. You may have other issues.

Where is the litter box located. I had to make mine as low to the floor as possible because of arthritis and inability to make those precision jumps they used too! have you discussed the urination issue with the vet, just wondering what they thought.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 9th, 2016, 09:52 PM

Thanks Winston,

She does not appear to be incontinent, only happens after she urinates in the litter box. She urinates about two times per day and poops once.

Vet doesn't have any ideas, and I'm not sure he thinks of it as a big issue. Apparently it is not pee all over his floors, couch, chairs (and likely kitchen counter when I am asleep).

The litter box is at ground level and the opening is very low so that should not be a problem. She is only 5 and runs and plays so doesn't seem that arthritis would be an issue.

I have my Mom's two cats, Pooh, the cat in question, is the mother of the other cat (Winnie, 3.5 yrs). Yes, they are both spayed.
Old March 10th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I would love to see photos of your cats !
Old March 10th, 2016, 11:14 AM

Here is the requested photos. The one that is getting pee on her fur is the black and white one (Pooh). The calico is her daughter (Winnie). They both have an odd eye color: bright blue/green.
Attached Images

Old March 10th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Your cats are beautiful ! I bet someone would be willing to take your cat and try to help her with her peeing issues . I miss not having a kitty !
Old March 17th, 2016, 09:19 AM

Oddly she doesn't get pee on her fur every time. So, I am hoping I can figure out what is going on. I think the average person might no have any clue she is doing it. She cleans herself well enough that she is not going around smelling like urine.
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:41 AM

hello scratch n dent:

Your kitties are really nice looking animals.
I've been giving some thought to your problem.
We have a Manx cat. When it's litter box time to relieve herself, she plunks her bottom right on the litter before peeing. Although she doesn't get herself wet, it's been a wonder. We are using a grain base litter that I find absorbs the urine instantly, compared to some of the clay based ones.
I am wondering if your kitty is not doing the same thing and if she isn't producing a hole in the litter that's causing the urine not to flow away from her, then this might be the problem.
The other thing is, I've noticed some animals have the ability to relieve themselves a lot faster than others - in other words a faster pee flow - and maybe the litter is causing it to puddle underneath her. If it were me, I'd be trying another type of litter - perhaps one of the grain types - and see if that helps. Either Swheat Scoop or World's Best, or something along that line - if you are not already. We've been using the Swheat Scoop for years and it has worked well for us.
Old March 21st, 2016, 07:24 AM

Hi Reg,
Thanks for the suggestions. She was actually using SwheatScoop for about a year. No success, she just got a lot stuck to her bum I have moved to clay and swheat mix as the other cat only likes clay. I have tried different depths.

I have noticed that when she comes out with pee on her when I scoop the litter the urine is more distributed. That is likely a hint but I am not sure to what.
Old May 20th, 2017, 05:33 PM

Any solutions?

Hi there,

Did you ever find a reason why your cat had distributed urine and a wet bum? My cat is doing exactly the same thing. She's a 7-month-old spayed kitten who has huge urine deposits and always leave her box with a wet bum.
Old May 21st, 2017, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, I missed this the first time around but maybe this will help Bonnie1sMom.

Some of our cats prefer to stand on the ledge of the box and pee into it. A sturdy ledge might facilitate this. We have had to put the box into a walled enclosure in one spot because sometimes they stand on the edge and face the wrong way. It might help though.
Old May 26th, 2017, 10:46 AM

you have very cute cats, make sure that the litter box is in an appropriate place. Cats do not like to soil the areas close to their sleeping or eating areas, so place the litter box some distance away.
Old October 11th, 2018, 01:48 AM

Young male cat

Hi there,
Have you ever found out what the issue was? My 1 year old male cat is doing exactly the same.
Thank you in advance!