Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM

So I kind of rescued another cat. Need advice. *kind of long sorry*

Ok, so their was this white(ish) cat laying in the middle of the road licking itself this morning and we drove by and it didn't even move. So I made my hubby stop to see if it was injured or what not. The cat did not seem injured but he walked right up to it and it did not move. It meowed kind of sickly and strolled to the other side of the street. I was thinking I would go get a crate and try to catch it and bring it to a shelter or seomthing. I have never seen this cat around before. We have a few usual strays around here but never this cat. So we did our running around for the day came home like 4 hours later and the cat was laying on our front steps. So I gave the cat some food and water and it just gobbled it down. I am not for feeding strays but this cat was really thin, even under the fur all you could tell it was on the streets for a while and me having a soft hart i couln't let this cat not eat or drink anything. So it happly laid their and even let me lift up it's tail to see if it was male or female and to check out it's matted fur. (which is bad btw) We had to go out again and we came home and this cat is still in our back yard. Now we have 2 dogs and some kitties and this cat just didn't care. I got some more water for it and it came and took the water and I petted it and it started meowing and and getting really friendly. it was sad to pet it because It was just bone. I could feed every bone in that cats body. My chi's have more fat on them then that cat did. So my hubby (who 2 cats ago said that if I get anymore cats we would divorce) was feeling bad for this cat too. We decided that it would be best if we took the dogs kennel to the shed and set it up and housed the cat with food water and blanket and a litter box over night so we can get some advice from the vets tomorrow. I really wanted to bring that cat into the house but not knowing if it was diseased or had fleas or anything I didn't want to risk anything. So all while we were setting up the kennel and all that the cat just sat their and watched us. It even let me pick it up and put it in the kennel. It didn't try to fight or anything. So right now I have a stray cat in a kennel in my shed. Tomorrow I am going to the vet to see what I should do next. I plan on getting it shots, and checked out and then get it groomed. It looks like it is a white(which is currently brown) persian with blue eyes. My hubby didn't want me to take it to the humain society because he is scared that the cat will be put down. He wants to keep it too. I am willing to put the money out to pay the vet bills, get the cat fixed if needed pay for grooming everything. I have never rescued a stray cat like this, am I doing things right by keeping it in a kennel in my shed? Then taking it to a vet? I figured at least it will be warm and safe. I fully intend on making it an indoor cat once it is checked out and has its shots. I live near the country and saddly alot of people drive out here to dump there cats here. Any advice would be appreciated. I hope it uses the litter box. I think I will be up and down all night checking on it. We also have a ton of cyotes around here that have attacked full grown dogs in fenced yards. It is so sad right now for me because I just want to snuggle up to it all night long and it didn't do anything to deserve having to be kept in a kennel right now. Well my hubby is out their right now making sure it is ok. It looks to be an older cat, maybe 4 to 5 years old. I will post pics in a bit.