Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Photography tips - photography gear

Old November 10th, 2005, 04:07 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Yippeeeee!!!!!

I'm getting a new camera!!!!!!

For Christmas, my fiance and I were going to buy ourselves a dishwasher to make life easier for me! LOL But I have always wanted a really good camera. So I just asked him, if instead of the dishwasher, could we get a camera instead and he said YES!!!! I am so excited!!! I absolutely love taking pictures of my babies, and now with a new camera, I won't waste money on film when the pics turn out crappy!!!!

So, I need any and all tips on what I should look for in my new camera. We are spending about $400.00 give or take a little. I do know I want a digital with the option of having automatic and manual modes. I really don't know alot about pixels and such, so I need some pointers there! LOL

Any suggestions would be great!! I am sooooo excited!!! And I will have it before Christmas!!
Old November 10th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't have specific recommendations but there's a good thread here on it:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16092

If you narrow it down to a few models, I'd google some reviews of each. A site that might help:

http://www.dcviews.com/

http://www.dcresource.com/

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/

You might be able to use sites like that to narrow some selections down for you, maybe looking for pixel counts of 3.5 or higher with manual operation as an example.

For me, I would want a decent ability to pull a subject in - zoom.

I have a Panasonic DMC FZ20 at 5.1 megapixels and a 35-420 zoom . . . . but I think that's about twice as much as you want to spend.

Every major city has a camera store for geeks, the truly serious - as opposed to a chain store - and you'll usually find some very knowledgeable people there who would immediately take your price range and rattle it through their heads for some suggestions. Talk is cheap and that might be a place to start as well. You could probably even just call them for help if you can't visit.

Hope the above gets you started. Others probably have some suggestions for you.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old November 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper'sMom
I'm getting a new camera!!!!!!

For Christmas, my fiance and I were going to buy ourselves a dishwasher to make life easier for me! LOL But I have always wanted a really good camera. So I just asked him, if instead of the dishwasher, could we get a camera instead and he said YES!!!!
What are you crazy? I would get the dishwasher and invest in a $45 scanner with a throw away camera!!! I'll never go without a dishwasher again. Ours broke and Jim bragged to everyone about the great dishwasher we had at the house -- ME! I told him keep it up, I cook your dinner!
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:33 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
I have a Panasonic DMC FZ20 at 5.1 megapixels and a 35-420 zoom . . . . but I think that's about twice as much as you want to spend.
LOL, It's not that I don't want to spend that much, we just don't have that kind of money........yet!! Being small business owners, everyone else gets paid but us!

I just hope that I can get at least half the picture quality that you have!! I know, I know, it depends mostly on the person taking the picture and I will never have it all figured out but I'll have fun trying!!

Jesse's mom, I DESPISE doing dishes, but I want a new camera so very badly!!! Besides, we just need a cheap dishwasher-nothing fancy. I could always let the dogs clean the dishes!! LOL
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:34 PM

Oh, I want a dishwasher for Christmas, but it looks like I'm getting tires instead...

I'm loyal to Canon... I suggest looking up the cameras in Consumer Reports too because chances are you'll still have this camera in 10 years.
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:42 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Actually Prin, Canon is my first choice. Your camera is a beauty! Mind me asking the price??

Dishwasher - dogs, they'll both do the job!!
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:48 PM

My camera? Mine's not digital... It's a Canon Elan7 and it was around $700... I need a new lens though. Mine's seen way better days.
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Coppers Mom we have the Canon, we have had two cause of the break in in Shannons apt. Somebody got our first one! The picture quality is great but you know me Im just not a digital person, I love my old SLR, but I have to say the digital is much more practical. We have 4 mega pixles and three times optical zoom. I know that optical zoom is what to look for as digital zoom loses picture quality but thats about all the technical stuff I know. $400.00 should get you a great little digital, as I said Im very happy with the Canon "Sure shot" I think its called. Ours isnt even a really recent model. The only thing I don't like is that it takes time to focus or set up or what ever the heck it does, theres a delay, i don't know if they have worked this out in the newer models.
Old November 11th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Shih Tzu Owner

I highly recommend the Canon SD300. It's small and takes great pictures. It's a great camera for the price. It should be under $400 before taxes.
Old November 11th, 2005, 10:25 AM

I love my lil' digi-cam. I have an Olympus Stylus 410 4.0 megapixels. It also takes 20 second video clips.

I wouldn't get anything less that 4.0 megapixels.
4.O megapixels is good enough for print and web. The higher the pixels, the sharper the print quality.

Another very important thing to look for is Lithium Ion batteries. Regular batteries tend to go quick and often. The Lithium Ion batteries last longer and recharging them is much more economical.

My only complaint is the delay in the focus time that babyrock1 mentioned.
Attached Images

Last edited by catsnatcher-CDN; November 11th, 2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:11 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Oh my, I am starting to feel a little over whelmed by all the choices!!
What I wanted was the digital SLR type, but my funding won't allow that at this time!!

So far I have considered
1) Canon Powershot Digital S2-1S
2) Sony Cybershot DSC-H1
3) Kodak Easyshare DX7590

They all have at 5MP or higher. The first 2 are a little higher than what I had planned on spending but there are ways to help lower the cost. The size of the camera really isn't a big deal to me. I would like to be able to print off at least 8X10 photos, maybe a bit larger. And zooming capabilities is important for me too.
Old November 14th, 2005, 03:47 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
So far I have considered
2) Sony Cybershot DSC-H1
Anybody own one of these cameras?? If so, please share your thoughts!!
Old November 14th, 2005, 03:59 PM
<-----nut ball

I have a Fuji FInepix s3000. It's similar to those above. it's 3.2 MP and we printed out 8X10 pics with no problems on our photo printer.

I don't know the specifics of any of those, but make sure they have an "adapter ring" so you can add on lenses, like professional cameramen. the Fuji I have has one, and I installed it and put a haze 1 UV filter on it the first day and haven't taken it off. It protects your lenses, and gives clearer pics outside. I will never buy a new camera without that option again. Also, because we have an adapter ring, we can add on professional zoom lenses to ours which is a nice option.

I hear the cannon S2 IS is amazing, and it was on my list of consideration before we go out Fuji. I tried my mom's of the same one, and was hooked. Her camera was since stolen, and she upgraded to the Fuji S5000. THen my BF's brother got the fuji S5100 which is the newest version of the same camera. THey are AMAZING.
Old November 14th, 2005, 04:00 PM

I have used a few of the different Cannon Powershot models. I thought they were excellent cameras. The picture is good, they are reasonably priced, easy to operate, and you can make mini movies.

I have used the Powershot A60, A70, and A90. I would give them all thumbs up
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old November 14th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Not-so-senior member

Quote:
So far I have considered
2) Sony Cybershot DSC-H1
Anybody own one of these cameras??
I have camera #3 and I love it. I also waited far too long to 'go digital'--you won't believe that picture-taking (I won't even elevate what I do by calling it 'photography' ) can be so much more fun with digital. The kodaks have really come down in price over the last few years--I got this camera early this summer for about $400 US and I have taken thousands of pictures with it already. I think I have already praised it in the link that Rick posted so I won't rehash here, but I'm very happy with mine. It makes very nice prints--the largest I have gone is 8x10, but I have no doubt I could do much larger prints, if I could only find someone to print them. (Anyone know who does LARGE prints from dig files? And preferably will ship the product?)
Attached Images

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old November 14th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Not-so-senior member

Shoot, I forgot to add that I very much agree with getting a digicam that uses the rechargable Li batteries (the square ones) vs the rechargable Ni-Cad batteries that look like regular AA's. They last much longer both per charge and overall lifetime.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old November 14th, 2005, 04:46 PM

My Mom has lithium ion batteries for her dig camera. It is a cannon and the batteries are AA. I prefer the AA li batteries as they are much cheaper to purchase.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old November 14th, 2005, 07:03 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Thanks Prin! Copied it down on paper to make notes! I owe you!!

Thank you everyone for your input!! I'm starting to feel a little bit better about making a decision now. A little more research and I hope to have a decision soon!! A local camera shop has a sale next weekend, so if I have somewhat of an idea, I might get a good deal!

I was thinking of buying one online from the US. If I did this, do you think I'd have to pay duty on it?? I have bought a downloaded manual online(for work) and paid US prices so I'm wondering if I purchased a camera and had them ship it, if somewhere along the line, I'd have to pay our taxes???
Old November 14th, 2005, 07:12 PM

Yes, you'd probably have to pay duty on it... Whenever I buy from Victoria's secret, they charge me huge amounts of duty...
Old November 21st, 2005, 03:41 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

I changed my mind again! None of the cameras above are in consideration any longer!

Rick C,

Are there any negative aspects about your camera that you don't like?? Do you think it is too far advanced for a beginner like me?? I am contemplating between the FZ5 and the FZ20. The FZ5 because it is a bit smaller(been thinking about it alot) and the FZ20 for it's video and also has the hotshoe(I may need it someday!!!!).

I guess if price wasn't an issue, I'd go for the FZ20. But since it is, I have to make a decision!!!
Old November 21st, 2005, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I changed my mind again! None of the cameras above are in consideration any longer!

Rick C,

Are there any negative aspects about your camera that you don't like?? Do you think it is too far advanced for a beginner like me?? I am contemplating between the FZ5 and the FZ20. The FZ5 because it is a bit smaller(been thinking about it alot) and the FZ20 for it's video and also has the hotshoe(I may need it someday!!!!).

I guess if price wasn't an issue, I'd go for the FZ20. But since it is, I have to make a decision!!!
There's nothing about it I don't like . . . . except the focus ring if you are using it on manual . . . . I find it extremely difficult to focus manually.

The FZ20 is full auto if you want it to be . . . . point and shoot.

Contrary to popular belief, that's what I mostly do anyway - automatic focus and auto settings.

Really, although the equipment is important, great photo's are in your head more than anything. Its a matter of understanding composition and particularly the importance of light and where to point the auto light sensor to create the effect you want.

I've heard the FZ5 is a fine camera.

A comparison of the FZ5 and FZ20

http://www.photoxels.com/panasonic-fz5.html

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old November 21st, 2005, 04:17 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Should I be concerned with the aperature?? I'm not exactly sure what it does(amount of light i think) is it important?
Old November 21st, 2005, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Should I be concerned with the aperature?? I'm not exactly sure what it does(amount of light i think) is it important?
The difference between the two cameras isn't too much.

I wanted the 2.8 for both wide and telephoto so 3.3 for telephoto is some difference, but not too much to cause you to run away in panic. . . . . you just have less flexibility to shoot longer distances in low light without a flash.

You can get around that, if its important to you, by adjusting the "film speed" of the digital camera, from say, 200 ASA, to 400 ASA. At least, I assume you can do that on the FZ5 as that feature is on the FZ20.

When I commented on light, I was more referring to shooting in normal conditions but manipulating auto exposure by pointing at shadow or areas illuminated by full blown sun or using flash in the full light of day . . . . things like that. The manipulation of light to create effect.

Mrs. C walks across Millennium Bridge in London towards St. Paul's Cathedral . . . . the light sensor is reading off the metallic bridge deck, darkening the areas around her. A simple picture of her walking over the bridge is made visually interesting.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca