Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Why not use pork in pet food?

Just wondering why they don't use pork in pet foods? For alternative protein sources I would think it would be a good choice and easier to acquire then bison or venison or am I missing something?

Last edited by SuperWanda; September 24th, 2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old September 24th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Young at Heart

I don't know why they don't but I sure am glad they don't - Amber cannot tolerate pork!
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, here, it's not kosher, lol (But not sure why others do not use it, _
Old September 24th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

There are companies who use pork in some of their formulas, for example Eagle Pack. Pork is often used in Performance formulas because of its high fat content.
Old September 24th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Feed lots have dog food made from Pork, it contains alot of corns and stuff so I have never tried it.
It is very fatty too, so perhaps that is another reason.
I feed my guys pork with no ill effects, but not on a regular basis. I wouldnt want them consuming such a fatty meat daily.
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Well, if they had a ham flavoured canned food, my dogs and cats would be all over it.

I don't cook ham often, just the hubby and me, so always way too much left over, but when I do, I have lots of eager furry faces just dying to get a treat.

Cindy
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Well, if they had a ham flavoured canned food, my dogs and cats would be all over it.

I don't cook ham often, just the hubby and me, so always way too much left over, but when I do, I have lots of eager furry faces just dying to get a treat.

Cindy

hahah! Me too, Pubert sits in the kithen when ham is cooking. HE LOVES IT!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:33 PM
-

Ham is pretty salty so I wouldn't give them too much.
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
There are companies who use pork in some of their formulas, for example Eagle Pack. Pork is often used in Performance formulas because of its high fat content.
I have seen it in others besides Eagle Pack too but can't remember which ones.
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:14 PM

I guess I didn't think about the fatty part. Although I thought that a littlle more fat was good for dogs???
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:06 PM
-

If we have pork chops or roast pork for supper I have no concerns about adding a little to the dogs kibble but I just make sure I cut off any visible fat. Todays pork is a lot leaner than it used to be:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-05-pork_x.htm
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:12 PM
-

This is what the the dog food project (http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=myths) has to say:

Quote:
Pork should not be fed because it causes pancreatitis in dogs
A statement I have encountered quite often recently, unlike any material that substantiates the claim. According to veterinary literature, the most common causes for pancreatitis are

*a high fat, low protein diet
*obesity
*trauma (car accidents, falling)
*other diseases (Cushing's syndrome, diabetes)
*tumors
*some drugs and toxins (e.g. antibiotics, insecticides)
*genetic predisposition (hyperlipidemia, e.g. mini schnauzer, cocker spaniel)

As part of a well balanced diet, pork isn't any more dangerous than beef, lamb or chicken. The fat content is key, and many pets suffer from pancreatitis when fed excessively fatty, greasy table scraps - which are not part of a balanced diet. The most susceptible animals are those who don't eat anything but kibble all year and suddenly get an overload of "goodies" on thanksgiving or other holidays.

One other thing that doesn't quite fit the bill is the fact that there is a good number of premium quality dog foods that use pork meal as a protein source. I very much doubt that a single manufacturer out there would risk their excellent reputation by purposefully including an ingredient in their food that is a proven cause of pancreatitis.
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM

Good to know! Thanks for posting that rainbow.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
This is what the the dog food project (http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=myths) has to say:

That's not terribly accurate. Pork itself doesn't cause pancreatitis, high levels of fat in a diet do. Since pork can be a high in fat meat, high amounts of pork are not good. At the same time, pork actually is one of the most digestible meat proteins, so it's a bit of a trade off.
Old June 29th, 2010, 05:42 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Orijen Regional Red has pork as first ingredient. "Fresh de-boned wild boar"
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I feed my cats raw pork with no problems. I do cut off the fat.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Something I think worth noting regarding fat content in a diet is the condition and activity of the dog(s) being fed. If the dog is highly active they are going to utilize the fat as an energy source and it is not going to cause the same problems as with a more inactive pet. Case in point, sled dogs are kept fairly lean and very fit and they are fed a high protein/high fat diet. It's common to be feeding kibble with a 30/20 protein/fat ratio or 32/32 or even higher. And on top of that many mushers add meat, the fattier the better (i.e. ground beaver) and also extra fat. Some make trail snacks from liver and bacon drippings etc. Because the dogs are already fit (not overweight) and working hard the amount of fat they consume helps to keep up their body weight and does not cause problems. Could you feed the average pet the same? no...but this is just an example that there are really no hard and fast rules and we all need a diet that suits our own dog(s) and their lifestyles.

When they're working, besides kibble I feed my dogs any kind of extra meat I have on hand (beef, chicken, turkey, pork, a bit of venison, fish, lamb here and there) whether that is leftovers or other meat just for them and I don't trim the fat None are overweight, in fact I can easily feel hips and ribs on most and I constantly am re-evaluating how their body condition "feels", a little too ribby or a little too much padding and adjust accordingly to try to keep each dog at their ideal.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old July 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I/ve been wondering about that too,my cats love a cooked peace of pork
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:44 AM

pork?

pork is not a very expensive ingredient and I think that that is why companies use it. I m not sure but all dogs need moderate levels of fat, never high. It is like saying an athlete eats more fat because they are active, but it is the opposite. having pork in a diet for everyday is not wise. Even Orijen regional red uses Pork which i never liked it is one of thier main ingredients. Maybe pork as a treat once and awhile, but not as a meal. Also companies say the pork is easily digestable and good for allergies, but you have to weigh your pros and cons
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post
That's not terribly accurate. Pork itself doesn't cause pancreatitis, high levels of fat in a diet do. Since pork can be a high in fat meat, high amounts of pork are not good. At the same time, pork actually is one of the most digestible meat proteins, so it's a bit of a trade off.
LOL. I think you are a bit mixed up about that quote. You can only see it in the URL but that first statement is about a myth. The rest goes on to refute the myth. You and the Dog Food Project actually agree.
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigereye View Post
pork is not a very expensive ingredient and I think that that is why companies use it. I m not sure but all dogs need moderate levels of fat, never high. It is like saying an athlete eats more fat because they are active, but it is the opposite. having pork in a diet for everyday is not wise. Even Orijen regional red uses Pork which i never liked it is one of thier main ingredients. Maybe pork as a treat once and awhile, but not as a meal. Also companies say the pork is easily digestable and good for allergies, but you have to weigh your pros and cons
Humans get their energy from carbs, cats and I think dogs get theirs from animal fat.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:34 PM

maybe I was a bit mixed up with the quote. thanks. Cats and dogs do get energy from carbs as well as fat (just like humans). Too much fat is bad, which pork tends to have. Free range animals with moderate fat is good for our pets.
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
maybe I was a bit mixed up with the quote. thanks. Cats and dogs do get energy from carbs as well as fat (just like humans). Too much fat is bad, which pork tends to have. Free range animals with moderate fat is good for our pets.
Actually their digestive systems are much too short to get any good digestive energy out of carbs, that is why they require meat protein and fat.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 15th, 2010, 06:50 AM

actually protien is the best energy source for any pet. like i said moderate fat is ok, but you do not need that much fat which is usually found in pork. If you have a food that has a good protien source (protien coming from meat sources) you do not need that much fat. What a lot of kibble companies do is that they get their protien source from different ingredients in the bag not only from the meat and they use the fat which is a cheaper ingredient to compensate for energy.That is why I say RAW is the best to give your pet. Carbs are actually good for your pet, better that too much fat. Well as the saying goes "too much of anything is no good."
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:55 AM

sorry I almost forgot to the comment about humans. Actually humans that train for competition try to avoid too much carbs or fats. They, just like animals, thrive on protien. I know I have a friend who trains all the time, you should see what he eats, there is no taste to it.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
actually protien is the best energy source for any pet. like i said moderate fat is ok, but you do not need that much fat which is usually found in pork. If you have a food that has a good protien source (protien coming from meat sources) you do not need that much fat. What a lot of kibble companies do is that they get their protien source from different ingredients in the bag not only from the meat and they use the fat which is a cheaper ingredient to compensate for energy.That is why I say RAW is the best to give your pet. Carbs are actually good for your pet, better that too much fat. Well as the saying goes "too much of anything is no good."
I agree, pets should not get a lot of fat in their diet. That is why fat should be cut off before feeding the meat to your pet. Pork can be quite lean if you buy the appropriate cuts.

I have to ask why you think carbs are good for your pet?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 20th, 2010, 07:06 AM

yes you are right if you get lean pork it is less fatty, but not les fatty if you get lean chicken or beef or even fish diet. And anyways these companies put the whole pork bones, fat and all. If you read the ingredients they do not say deboned pork.

Usually carbs are good to help with energy, and to put fat levels at check. Not saying to put a whole amount of carbs. Like I said before too much of anything is no good. But the more meat (protien) there is usually the more Fat there is because they do not take on the fat unfortunetly. But Wellness Core diet or Innova Evo diet is great. Not lot of fat, good amount of carbs and high meat (protien) content.

If you want to know why cards are good here is a link you can check out http://www.articlesbase.com/pets-art...ts-190198.html

Hope it helps. RAW is the best for your pet because you really know what is in the food.
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:11 AM

Sorry here is an article for dogs I only gave you one for cats. http://www.rawfed.com/myths/carbs.html
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Sorry here is an article for dogs I only gave you one for cats. http://www.rawfed.com/myths/carbs.html
Great website . They do focus on dogs, but does relate closely to cats.

They do say that there is no requirement for dogs to have carbs.

I have one cat who is pretty much 99% on a raw diet. She sometimes nibbles on my other cat's food (50% NV Instinct, 50% raw) but only a bite or two, then goes back to her raw. She has the best muscle mass coverage, least amount of shedding, and the most energy of all my cats.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 20th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Here is a myth in that website link:

Myth: WOLVES INGEST THE STOMACH CONTENTS OF THEIR PREY.

This claim is repeated over and over as evidence that wolves and therefore dogs are omnivores. However, this assumption is just that--an assumption. It is not supported by the evidence available to us, and is therefore false!

Wolves do NOT eat the stomach contents of their prey. Only if the prey is small enough (like the size of a rabbit) will they eat the stomach contents, which just happen to get consumed along with the entire animal. Otherwise, wolves will shake out the stomach contents of their large herbivorous prey before sometimes eating the stomach wall. The following quotations are taken from L. David Mech's 2003 book Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation. Mech (and the others who contributed to this book) is considered the world's leading wolf biologist, and this book is a compilation of 350 collective years of research, experiments, and careful field observations. These quotes are taken from chapter 4, The Wolf as a Carnivore.

"Wolves usually tear into the body cavity of large prey and...consume the larger internal organs, such as lungs, heart, and liver. The large rumen [, which is one of the main stomach chambers in large ruminant herbivores,]...is usually punctured during removal and its contents spilled. The vegetation in the intestinal tract is of no interest to the wolves, but the stomach lining and intestinal wall are consumed, and their contents further strewn about the kill site." (pg.123, emphasis added)

"To grow and maintain their own bodies, wolves need to ingest all the major parts of their herbivorous prey, except the plants in the digestive system." (pg.124, emphasis added).

Absolutely the truth. I had a male adult deer killed by a pack of coyotes in my backyard last winter and the contents of the stomach were left behind and ended being eaten by ravens. The next night, they came back and dragged the rest of the carcass leaving the stomach and contents behind.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)