Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM

Animal People

When I was a child, I thought I was a "horse person." I was obsessed. Cleaning stalls for a ride, lessons when I could afford, pictures of horses smothering my walls and ceiling... I'd even save horse cookies and crackers.

As I matured, I found I had a special place for dogs, too. I remember my uncle's Golden named Mister. On a particularly difficult and sad day for me it seemed as if he understood-- he let me cry into his soft fur and just supported me until I felt better. All kinds of dogs made me smile and laugh with their happy attitudes and enthusiastic affection. I thought I was just a "big dog person" though. Big dogs were active partners in life-- playing frisbee together or being a hiking partner. Big, warm friends with husky voices.

Then I had a therapist once who brought her lap dog with her to her office. After five minutes of this little dog therapeutically warming my lap, I understood the warmth and comfort of small dogs and I became an "all dog person!"

About a month ago my boyfriend and I decided to adopt a cat we had met through a friend at a vet clinic. We might have preferred a dog but knew we did not have the time that a dog would deserve. I know feel extremely lucky to have adopted such a loving, talkative, playful, cuddly, handsome, intelligent, fun, healthy cat!! In just a few weeks I have become "crazy cat lady" whose life revolves around her kitty!

And when I think about it, I love birds and snakes and pigs and goats and ducks and chickens and fish and primates and cows and all animals. I'm really just an "animal person." How can you not be when they add SO MUCH to life...

Meet Crusher:

My name is Tanya and I'm excited to explore this forum as a helpful network of animal lovers like me.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your new addition. I was never a cat person until I owned one! I had her for 19 wonderful years. Once I had Alex and Ozzie, I started 'saving' cats from shelters. I eventually had 21. I nursed them back to health and found loving homes for them (sterlized of course). Since the death of Ozzie, I went back to the shelter and adopted 1, 2 and then a 3rd. I also fostered another for a rescue and she fit in so well with the cat pack that I could not give her up.

You sound like an animal lover in general. Welcome to the world of the wild. It is so great to know that you are open to all species. They all deserve our respect, love and care no matter how big or small.

I wonder when you get your second......
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post

I wonder when you get your second......
You're not the first to suggest it! LOL

Thanks for the welcome!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

There are some great people here that can help you with your cat since it is your first. I have consulted with some in regards to my cats and what to feed. I have had great input from many here on this forum that really do have my cats best interest at heart.

In regards to a second cat - everything (humans even) are better in pairs. It is definately something to consider. And what is one extra anyways......
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:59 PM

...then I suppose it's only a matter of time!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, Its another me!! Yay! Im an all Out animal person too!! I have had mice and rats and even Snails!! I Have a dog of my own and i walk dogs in my community becaus ethere owners 'dont have the time' The poor dogs are left outside tied on to a dog house all day long. I am definatly a 'big dog person' But, i have a yorkie..lol!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:31 PM

Welcome Tanya and Crusher! Now remember...lots of pics....love pics
Ya gotta love cats, they are the only ones who can ignore you but still let you know you are loved unconditionally. I especially love when they race around the house..... then stop.....and try to look innocent, like "I didn't do that!"
Popeye - kitty - 1+ yrs.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:58 PM

babymomma LOL! Yes, another you! All animals, wild and tame, have something beautiful and amazing to offer the world. We're so blessed.

The dogs in your community are so lucky to have someone who understands their need for physical and mental stimulation. Even if I feel as thought I don't have the time for him, I make it happen anyway. He loves the string most of all so I tie it to my belt loop as I walk around the apartment doing morning chores. And he stalks, chases and pounces it!

BrightEyes Thanks for the welcome! Oh I've taken plenty of pics already!! Its just a matter of uploading them to the computer and the site!

Quote:
I especially love when they race around the house..... then stop.....and try to look innocent, like "I didn't do that!"
I know E X A C T L Y what you mean!! Sometimes he goes crazy around the apartment, and when he catches me staring and amazed at his energy, he just looks and says "what??"

I've learned very quickly what unique personalities cats have.
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Compromised account

Welcome!

Hi Tanya,

Even thougth we kind of already met, I figured I would add my official welcome here as well..
I own a small zoo: Max the is now the oldest furbaby(7 yrs old), Sparky the , (3.5 months old), 3 aquariums of various sizes with various fish in them...very cool ones! A terrarium with 6 Land hermit crabs, while not being super-fun, because only active at night, they are still funny to watch. And a husband. I think thats about it!

So welcome, I really enjoy reading your posts.

Oh, and if its not quite obvious, my name is Jennie...
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Hi Jennie!

Thank you for the welcome too, even though we have kind of already met!

I would love to see your aquariums. Growing up poor in apartments, that was one of the first pets I've had. My mother did most of the work but she kept it scrupulously clean and it always looked amazing and thoughtfully arranged. We had a simple, but nice variety of fish and she we stayed very aware of any illnesses they might have had. I remember diagnosing them with a chart and giving "fish medicine!" I thought it was so neat. But our fish lasted many years because of it.

I'd love to see the hermit crabs too! What a unique addition to the zoo.

Heck, do you have any family pictures?
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Compromised account

Hi again, Tanya

I have lots of pics, I will post an introductory post, as I have been on this website a while back, then left and came back almost 2 years later, so people probably dont even remember me..

Old September 10th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Tanya. You are not a crazy cat person! You are the same as I call myself...... a Cat Hobbyist! LOLOL