Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 11th, 2014, 11:53 PM

Arrow Dealing with Sibling Rivalry

Last year I took in two emaciated Pit Bull pups from someone who was not giving them the proper care they needed. Both boys are 1 yr 4 months old now,and are looking great. The problem I am having now,is both continuously fight with each other. Before I registered here,I did a search on the internet about sibling dogs. I came across Sibling Rivalry and it is exactly what is going on with both of them. I have set up an appointment for both of them to be neutered,but I came across a few articles online about only getting the less dominate one neutered? Should I get both of them neutered at the same time,or should I just neuter the less dominate male? My other question is,after I get both of them neutered;will this stop them from fighting each other. I love these boys with all my heart and hate seeing them do this to each other. I now have separated both of them and will not let them out at the same time in the house. If anyone can give me some advise on what I need to do,I will greatly appreciate it.
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry you are having these troubles with your pups. Bless you for taking them in though. I don't really have the answers you are looking for, but am curious if you have done any real obedience training with them. Are the dogs fighting when you are home with them, or just when they are alone? If you are there, then you should be able to stop the fight before it starts if they are well trained. They should respect you as the alpha and listen if you tell them to "leave it" or "break it off". Neutering is generally a good idea, but is not a guarantee to stop the fighting to be honest. It is not the end all of fixes. It may help, it won't hurt, but it's not a guarantee. Sorry I can't say if it should be one or both. Good luck to you.
Old February 13th, 2014, 01:03 PM

Wink

Did the dogs behave this way when you took them in? Did the first fight occur over food or bone or toy?
I agree with Dog Dancer that you begin or continue the training. I would keep them separate when you cannot monitor their behaviour and be super vigilante when they are together i.e. immediately correct a "stare down" etc before things escalate. IMO, neutering both dogs is a good idea as intact males need to mate at least twice per season. If they do not get to mate they will have a need to release that energy and it usually results in a fight.
There are many more benefits to neutering which I'm sure your vet will discuss with you.
Good luck
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Lynne&Co. you are so right, I forgot to add that they should never be left alone together.

Tags
behavioral, dogs, sibling rivalry