Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 25th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Sick Dog

I have a question I hope someone can answer. We have just gotten a 7 month old Yorkshire terrier. He’s a cute puppy that we have enjoyed for the week that we’ve had him. Today he appears to be feeling sick. Symptoms include slight diarrhea, a little vomiting following water intake and a general lethargic demeanor. He has slept most of the day and when he walks around he appears shaky and a little wobbly. I would like to take him to the vet, but there is nothing open over the weekend. We are letting him rest and trying to push as much water as he will take, thinking he is probably dehydrated. As you can tell from this thread, we are new and inexperienced dog owners and could use any help you could provide. Thanks
Tom
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:05 AM
banned user

there is a section of this website for sick pets, look down the list a lil further. The moderator will problably move your post there.

If you dog is vomitting and has diarrhea, there is a real chance of dehydration. He needs to go to the vet. I realize it is the long weekend, but there is emergency clinics all over, I would suggest looking for the emergency clinic in your area. There is too many things that could cause these symptoms, so he needs to be looked at.
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:33 AM

If this dog is lathargic with vomiting and diarrhea, I would certainly take him to an emergency clinic. They are always open. This doggy probably has a fever and needs to be attended to immediately. It will only get worse untreated.
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I agree, emergency vet is required here. My golden went off his food last week, he was diagnosed with acute leukemia and has a very short time to live. This was very sudden. These symptoms are not to be ignored, or messed around wth at home. Try to find an emergency vet, also a number of vets here are keeping regular hours on Saturday, so call around.

Also, if Pedialite is available there, you can add the unflavoured Pedialite to the drinking water. This will help with hydration.

Please let us know how things turn out
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:44 AM

thanks

Thanks for your eply and advice. Sorry I posted in the wrong spot, I looked briefly over the list and didn't see it. The vomiting/diarrhea have past, and although the dog is still still inactive, I think he is doing better. I wonder if this could be a reaction to the deworming pills that he was taking. Nothing else has changed regarding diet. Of course, he has only been with us for a week, so I'm sure there may be stress related to that. we will keep a watch at try and find a vet tomorrrow if the symptoms persist. Thanks again
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I do not want to scare you but in a little dog like that could be Parvo. My Meat Loaf had it and almost died. He needs to see a Emergency Vet and fast. Is he up to date on all his shots.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:31 PM

As you have just adopted him, you have no idea what he could have come in contact with before you got him. The week of being ok could very well have been an incubation period for a virus or bacteria. Go to the vet. If the diarrhea and vomiting stop, it's probably because the doggy is empty, not because he is better. Especially if he is still inactive. If you want to help this dog, go to a vet ER.
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:43 PM
banned user

Golden, the OP is in Germany

Could be a reaction to the worming pills, and could be some other condition entirely. Even if your pup seems completely better by the time the vet opens, at the very least please call the vet that prescribed the pills and tell them about his symptoms. The vet will still probably want to examine your pup to rule out anything else it could have been.
Prin has a good point, perhaps the dog is just running on empty right now.

I'm writing down the Pedialite suggestion myself (but hope I never need it)- good one- thanks Golden

Machts gut, tboise.
Old March 25th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Pedialite does do wonders when Meater was little and he had Parvo I started giving him ped. and the vet said taht is the only thing that keep him from dehyadrating (spelling) because I gave him 2 tsp ever 30 minutes or so becuase he could not keep anything down so we had to give him very little but than he hung in there.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old March 25th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

One of my close friends shows Yorkies and breeds the champions (in her spare time she is a GP) and I showed her this query. She says to get the puppy to a vet!!!! It could be parvo but it may be a less dangerous condition which still need rehydration - IV fluids and some diagnostics. Good luck!! Let us know how the puppy is!