Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM

So, the pup hurt her leg at the dog park...

Hi all! I usually only get on here to get some advice on my accident prone pup, so I apologize in advance for that!

This morning we took London to the dog park and when running up rocks/steps that go to and from the river to the land she slipped and hit her leg. We noticed a few minutes later that it actually looks like it just split her leg from hitting it so hard, instead of a cut. It bled very little and is only (maybe) half an inch in length but it looks deep. It's also in a spot where when she sits it just opens right up.

We cleaned it with peroxide but she keeps licking it and it definately doesnt look as if it will scab up. In fact, it seems as if it is still slightly bleeding because when she lies down it leaves a tiny little red mark on her blanket.

Is there a way for us to care for it properly at home? Do we need to take her to the vet since it appears to be deep, just in case infection may arise?

PS - We just took her to the vet 2 weekends ago for sinus infection like symptoms, and numerous times since she has been born for UTI's. Although the vet knows us by name, we'd rather not go unless necessary.

I can also post a pic if necessary.
Old September 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hear ya about not necessarily liking to be on a first-name basis with vet , but I think it this case, you might need to go back. If the gap penetrates deep enough to be anywhere near the bone and it gets infected, London would be in a world of trouble. She might need a stitch, too, if it gapes every time she sits down.

Go easy on the peroxide now that it's been cleaned thoroughly--peroxide attacks healthy tissue and can impede healing. The vet can tell you the best way to keep it clean once it's been evaluated.

. It's the best advice I can give you.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Thanks Hazelrun!

We actually went ahead and went to the emergency vet and spent about 3 hours there, ick.

They had to give her some pain meds, shave the area, and put two staples in it. She'll be taking antibiotics and will be wearing a cone on her head for 2 weeks to keep it clean.

We weren't sure if it was something serious or not, so we went ahead. We'd rather be the people who take their dogs to the vet even when it's not necessary rather than think something will just go away and it turn into something serious.

And yes, we got the peroxide lecture.
Old September 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's sort of our philosophy, too...and our bank balances show it! I think we were solely responsible for the new wing on our vet clinic!

I'm glad you brought her in, though. If she needed two staples, then it was definitely something that needed attention!

Poor London in her cone, though. Our Ember just got out of his and is extremely happy about it!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 20th, 2008, 11:59 PM
-

LOL, yeah, the operating room at my vet is called the Rainbow Room.

Good luck for a speedy recovery for London .....keep us posted.