Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 13th, 2005, 09:04 AM

"back Talking"

We are training our puppy Punkin basic comands, she's doing really well but lately she has been giving us "back talk" she's always been a vocal dog. when we tell her sit or down she does but she huffs and snorts and starts gabbering. my hubby thinks that this is hilarious but it gets annoying after a she does it when ever you tell her to do something. does anyone know how to deal with this?
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:11 AM

I'm with your husband. I think as long as the dog is doing what you tell him and it just grumbling and not all out barking I wouldn't correct it. I love it when my dog Duke "talks".
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:17 AM

All my dogs are husky or crossed with husky so i'm used to the singing and the chattering. I find it really amusing most of the time, but I've just never had one "complain" so much lol
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:37 AM

LOL! My sister's dog "complains" constantly. I think it comes from living with a teenager. Some dogs are just more vocal. Have you ever watched an agility event? There are some dogs that yap the whole way through the course!

Do you treat train? If so, withhold the treat until he does what you want without complaining about it.

HTH!
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

we discourage sam rom being TOO vocal, only because we are in an apartment and we could get complaints if he is too loud.

my neightbors are great and wouldnt complain but im paranoid, and i know its not fun listening to a barking dog all day

we taught him 'hush' from day one when I say hush he stops barking or vocalizing.

it was pretty easy, every time he got loud I would say hush and put my hand on his mouth very lightly when he hushed he got a treat or cuddles,

now i can say hush from 2 rooms away and he goes silent.

he also doesnt bark at the door, ive never allowed it for the same reason i mentioned above,

ive found if you never allow it they learn it better, i found it hard to teach him that sometimes its ok, and sometimes it isnt, it was an all or nothing deal

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Cat Whisperer

Our dog 'grumbles" when we talk to her. Maybe he's trying to talk? Our cat also meows back at us when we stop talking, and will carry on a 'conversation' with us for 5 minutes or more. I think animals learn that we talk back and forth to each other, and want to try it out themselves.
Tailchaser and Scuffledig, Gerbils
Old June 13th, 2005, 10:59 AM

I don't want my dogs to be completly silent I like their chatter, keeps me entertained for the most part. Zoe our siberian is VERY vocal and "talks" all the time but she knows " shush " and she responds to it really well. I'm trying that on Punkin but so far she does not get it!
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingcat
I think animals learn that we talk back and forth to each other, and want to try it out themselves.
I agree. When people get talking at my grandmothers house and everyone gets loud and laughing, her dog will pipe in and starting howling and woofing and it's the cutest thing ever. If you look at him and continue talking (about anything), he'll look at you and keep howling like he's telling you a story. And of course he always needs a treat afterwards.
Old June 13th, 2005, 12:23 PM
banned user

Raj "talks" to me, too. Not barking, but woorowrowow kind of grumbling. I don't even have to be talking to her. She'll complain when I've been on the computer or phone too long. But yes, she talks back while obeying, too.
I think it's good for her to be able to voice her complaints, as long as she isn't being obnoxious or aggressive. She's just being expressive.
Old June 13th, 2005, 07:23 PM

My boyfriend's 9 year old who-knows-what-kind-of-mix, is extremely vocal, except he sounds like he's upset all the time. When you scratch him, he makes this terrible whining sound that makes you think you're hurting him, but when you stop, he paws at you to continue. Also, when my puppy plays with him, he whines and growls even worse but he's wagging his tail like crazy. Unfortunately, but quite hilariously, Molly has picked up on his whining and whenever they play, she adds in her teeny-tiny growls.
Old June 14th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Hazel is very vocal too. I've been trying to teach her to bark when she needs to go out to make it easier for my husband when she is at work with him. Sometimes if he is busy, and not paying attention to Hazel's 'cues', she'll pee in the back room by the door. I've had dogs who were very vocal and ones who weren't. I like them being vocal, it can be very entertaining!
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:26 PM
owned by Tucker

Both my last dog and Tucker talked alot, I just love it. Tucker has been taught to speak and quiet but this is just a mumbling of sorts it can be quite funny when he is told to do something and he carries on I just laugh.