Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 28th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Actr1um Holistic Dog Food....

I was looking at my Wal*Mart flyer last night and saw an advertisement for this dog food and was hoping to find some input about it's quality etc. The ad said it has no corn, wheat, fillers, or artificial preservatives...and it is very affordable!! I wish they had sample size available to find out if my dog and puppy will even eat it. I have been searching for affordable and healthy (lol...those two don't always go together...affordable is usually doggy junk food) food for my dogs, preferable a few different kinds they enjoy so I can give them some variety. I have read that adding plain yogurt or cottage cheese is a good way to bring up the protein levels.
For the people that have bought this food...did your dogs like it???
My dogs like Oven Baked Tradition ( http://www.ovenbakedtradition.com/index.php?lang=en ) but it is expensive and I think it must be lacking in something because they get loose stool and my puppy starts eating dirt.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old August 29th, 2010, 12:16 PM

Re:

Yes, I'd be very curious to have someone chime in on this one as well. I know that there is info. on this brand elsewhere on this site, but it consists of the older variety and not the new "ACTR1UM HOLISTIC". If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me!
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:06 PM

I purchased both the adult and puppy formula today, very affordable, I hope it's not too good to be true...It's got quite the long list of ingredients!! They seem to like it. I brought home sample packs of several very expensive Holistic and Organic dog foods and my dogs didn't like them (Acana, Orijen, and I wish I woulda saved the other bags...lol...can't remember the other two).
I'm sure this is not an "ideal" food...but hopefully good enough to help me feel good about feeding it to them.
Here are the ingredients...this may take a while....(adult formula)
Chicken meal, brown rice, oatmeal, potatoes, rye, millet, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), chicken, chicken cartilage (natural source of glucosamine), natural flavour, tomatoes, salmon meal, salmon oil (natural source of DHA), whole dried egg, flaxseed, kelp, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, lecithin, sodium chloride, chicory root extract, cranberries, alfalfa, spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes, apples, blueberries, pears, bananas, vitamins and minerals (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin c, inositol, D-Calcium, pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, beta carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin K, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, iron proteinate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese prteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), probiotics (lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, bifidobacterium thermophilum), yucca schidigera extract, dried rosemary, cinnamon, turmeric, capsicum, chamomile, dandelion, paprika, garlic.

Guarenteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min)...24%
Crude Fat (min)...14%
Crude Fibre (max)...5%
Moisture (max)...10%
Ash (max)...10%
Calcium (min)...1.1%
Phosphorus (min)...0.8%
Omega 6...2.8%
Omega 3...0.4%

Wow....I can safely say that I will never have to spell the majority of those words ever again!! lol

Hope this helps anyone that has a clue bigger than mine let us know if this is a decent food or not! )
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I find the best value food out there is Kirkland Chicken and Rice from Costco 20-25.00 for a 40 pound bag.
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Just for the record, "oven baked" didn't agree with my girl either. There is a grain free shur gain with fish that looks well priced. I hope I'm right on the name.
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I tried the Wellness Core grain free and Clark had the runs for 2 weeks. I think it works for some dogs. I do know a friend with a super active dog and it seems to work for his dog and his coat is glossy and soft since the switch
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:10 PM

I have heard Kirkland mentioned a few times in other posts...I don't have a membership myself but a few of my friends do, I think I will try it. lol...I actually just bought a large Kirkland dog bed there (Costco)...only $22, but at WalMart the same size bed is almost $50....I find the dog products are some of the only things there that are actually a good deal...DentaStix are a great price there, not sure how good they are for your dog though?
The Oven Baked fish flavor didn't seem to bother my girls...but it bothered me and my family because they got really smelly gas and cleaning up after them outside was STINKY...not to mention the actual food is smelly too.
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:10 PM

My dog and puppy seem to be eating the Actr1um Holistic and not minding it...still gonna check out the Kirkland tho.
All the other brands at Wal Mart except Actr1um Holistic (even the regular Actr1um formula)...nothing but corn and fillers. Hoping they have a different flavor (Lamb maybe?) the next time I'm in Wal Mart.
Cybil (puppy) stopped throwing up since I took her off the Oven Baked Tradition and it's a lot easier picking up after her ourside.
lol...I wish she enjoyed the better quality foods as much as the (Puppy Chow) when I bought her!!

Here is the link to their website in case anyone is interested.....
http://www.trinatural.com/index.php

Last edited by CrankyCheryl; September 8th, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:31 PM

For anyone that feeds/adds canned dog food to their dog's kibble, I found an awesome brand (in Canada anyway...not sure how available it is else where). I bought it at Giant Tiger, but the website has a store locator, it's called Tri-Natural and this is the ingredients in the can I bought:
Tri-Natural Lean Cuts - Beef and Chicken
Beef lean steaks & roasts, chicken necks & backs, beef liver, beef kidney, carrots, vegetable gums, water sufficient for processing.

That is all!!! No preservatives, cereals, grains, starches, artificial colors or salt added!!
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

You do not need a membership for Costco if you have someone buy you a gift card you can shop with them without membership my little trick since I do not shop there a lot. There pet stuff is my main reason for shopping there I am single and there stuff is just too big for me. Unless it is chocolate then it is never to big. Kirkland also does lamb and rice to fattening for my porkchop
Old November 27th, 2014, 06:09 PM

I just bought this brand when I adopted my new dog. She was previously being fed Pedigree. She seems to like this food, and no large amounts of droppings to pick up. I also had a little salmon oil to it, she loves it!
Old April 4th, 2016, 07:56 PM

Actrium Puppy food

Hi, The breeder that I got my puppy from in Feb 23/16 was feeding the puppies and all her dogs the Actrium food from Walmart. She sent me different foods she recommended and the actrium was high on her list. I purchased a bag of the food before I got my puppy and he loves it. I do not add anything to it. It is a good price. Of course the pet stores are trying to get my to purchase their brands. So I have taste tests with Bailey and put some of the sample ones in down and the Actrium down and he always goes for the Actruim one. There is a review on petfood and the only thing they did not like was the dicalcuim carbonate but in the puppy food it is 17th down on the list. So for the price I am going to continue giving it to Bailey and he is a 2kg pom poo ( Pomeranian Poodle) ball of fluff.
Bann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyCheryl View Post
I purchased both the adult and puppy formula today, very affordable, I hope it's not too good to be true...It's got quite the long list of ingredients!! They seem to like it. I brought home sample packs of several very expensive Holistic and Organic dog foods and my dogs didn't like them (Acana, Orijen, and I wish I woulda saved the other bags...lol...can't remember the other two).
I'm sure this is not an "ideal" food...but hopefully good enough to help me feel good about feeding it to them.
Here are the ingredients...this may take a while....(adult formula)
Chicken meal, brown rice, oatmeal, potatoes, rye, millet, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), chicken, chicken cartilage (natural source of glucosamine), natural flavour, tomatoes, salmon meal, salmon oil (natural source of DHA), whole dried egg, flaxseed, kelp, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, lecithin, sodium chloride, chicory root extract, cranberries, alfalfa, spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes, apples, blueberries, pears, bananas, vitamins and minerals (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin c, inositol, D-Calcium, pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, beta carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin K, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, iron proteinate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese prteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), probiotics (lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, bifidobacterium thermophilum), yucca schidigera extract, dried rosemary, cinnamon, turmeric, capsicum, chamomile, dandelion, paprika, garlic.

Guarenteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min)...24%
Crude Fat (min)...14%
Crude Fibre (max)...5%
Moisture (max)...10%
Ash (max)...10%
Calcium (min)...1.1%
Phosphorus (min)...0.8%
Omega 6...2.8%
Omega 3...0.4%

Wow....I can safely say that I will never have to spell the majority of those words ever again!! lol

Hope this helps anyone that has a clue bigger than mine let us know if this is a decent food or not! )