Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 27th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Food question

Jag has been on innova for a little over a month now.He is not as gassy.nothing about him in energy,playing or drinking has changed.The only big change is his stools have gone from big to tiny in size.Since changing to innova.Would the food make that much of s difference.
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Sure. Stool is basically waste which the body expells. When on a food with a lot of fillers, you get lots of waste. When fed something that has no fillers, the body will use a lot more so the stool will be much less.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Learning fast

Only cause I'm awake and beating the others to it
What was your previous food, Innova is a great kibble, little fillers and a lot of digestable ingredients, rather than lots of grains and bulking products found in poorer quality foods. More digestion means less waste = smaller stools. So yes this would show your dog is getting a lot more out of the food than the old stuff, best to watch out if your feeding the same amount as after a certain point the digestion will not be effective and a lot of the unwanted extra will find it's way back out, also you need to watch for weight gain.
The stuff that used to come out was your hard earned cash now you know what your paying for is being absorbed.
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.l.r.8 View Post
Only cause I'm awake and beating the others to it
Beating who now?

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Learning fast

thats what I get for staying up 24 hours, and I'm still not done
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Yep, the early birds got it. The more digestible the food, the less stool there will be.
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:01 PM
-

I fed my boys Timberwolf and Solid Gold and they had huge poops. I switched to Innova and their poops firmed up and reduced in size. It's a great food IMO.
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

thanks for the replies.x.l.r.8.i was feeding him nutro natrual high energy.and he had hugh poops also.rainbow other then the smaller poops i'm notbig on the innova.jag lost 4.4lbs since being on it 6 weeks.so if this second bag doesn't make a his weight come back on i'm going to switch back to nutro.
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:56 PM
-

Are you sure it's the Innova that's causing him to lose weight? It has 557 kCals per cup compared to Nutro Natural's High Energy which has 393 kCals per cup and Innova's ingredients are so much better.
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

rainbow.the weight loss came after he had been on innova a couple of weeks.i know innova is better but to their website he should be getting 6 cups a day. and he was getting the same amount of food with the nutro which is a little cheaper.innova is 74 dollars for a 33lb bag.last a lot of money to be feeding the same amount of when he was doing good on nutro for less money and more food.it would be different if he got less food.thats why i switched to innova.was told better food and he would eat less.i will see how he does on the 2nd bag.if he does better then he will stay on it.
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Honest Contributor

IMO a dog's calories and metabolic energy should come from meat proteins, and not from grain proteins... the slimming you are noticing could just be your dog losing his "fat from grain carbs" and he is developing proper & good slim muscle tone instead? there is a period of adjustment that some dogs go through... but only you know your dog. if you can see his ribs no that's not good. You are sure he's in good health? No thyroid problems or other disorders? If it's just the food... i would still figure out how many calories he needs per day and go from there. supplement with some eggs for good protein (cheap 100% bioavailable protein) and good table scraps, ie meats.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:04 PM

I agree. If he doesn't have any medical issues, the weight loss is probably just a switch from fat from starches and complex carbs to lean tissue.

I hope the second bag proves us right.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:34 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

that's why i'm trying the 2nd bag.he loves it.when on nutro he wouldn't eat till i said go.with the innova while he is waiting he drools all over the floor in front of him.and if it doesn't work.then i thinking of raw.but want to research it before i make a decision on that.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:41 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

technodoll.he gets all kinds of good table scaps.when the wife cooks my lunch before work.he gets the left overs.i love onions.and know there bad for dogs so no more cooking with them.and with seeing the ribs.maybe it's the fat loss to lean tissue.i know with the weim you should be able to feel them when petting but not see them.nothing has changed any other way with him.same old self.
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:11 AM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
when the wife cooks my lunch before work.he gets the left overs.i love onions.and know there bad for dogs so no more cooking with them
he he! "you know you're a dog person when... you stop eating your favorite foods because the leftovers are not good for the dog!"

how about a photo of your boy? from the side and top views?

Old January 31st, 2007, 10:44 AM
Learning fast

also your know your a raw feeder and you forgot to take anything out for dinner and you steal the dogs chicken did that last night and couldn't help thinking how wrong that feels.
Back to topic, when I switched Riley to Canadie I had the same thing, he actually looked like he dropped weight, he has a vest harnes for the car and it bacame a little loose, it was always on the smallest settings, he regained his weight over a good few weeks, but you could always see hi ribs, now he is on Raw we had to loosen the harness a little. He still looks skinny but my god he has soo much more energy. But if it's not working for you it's not working, you will know what do to, but keep us informed. I have only had a few months of playing with food and it's nice to hear real experiences rather than a friend of my sisters cousin kind of thing. it works out for you.
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:13 AM
Honest Contributor

it's really a "body transformation" thing with many dogs, when grains are taken out of the diet. "atkins diet for dogs" and when put on a natural raw diet... yep... bye-bye doughy fat and hullooo lean muscle! i still can't believe how much muscle my boy packed on though... over 20 lbs and still adding... he's built like hulk hogan now, LOL! but it did take 6 months. i imagine with the EVO it's a similar transformation. lose the doughy grain-fat, replace with muscle, which can take months

Old February 1st, 2007, 06:29 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

technodoll.i will try to get the pics.the only time he stops moving is to eat sleep or sit for training.other than that he is always moving.and tries to run when the camera comes out.thank god for food and treats.picked up some evo treats yesterdayhe loves them maybe they will work.x.l.r.8 i would have feed the dog and starved.or had hot dogs.i want to feed raw.looking for info on it now.the pet store i deal with have a couple of workers on raw and say not only better bur find it cheaper.
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

i love innova and innova evo. the poops will firm you will eventually notice less shedding. and what age is your weim? younger right because young dogs go through a bunch of transformations in weight and appearence until their about two. logan has looked skinny lanky and goofy, hes looked fat, and now hes nice and lean he's 14 months old. he was on nutro lg breed when we got him and after a few month of feeding innova the shedding went down, and his fur was a little better. his energy didnt really go up but i got him as an 8 month old husky how much higher energy could have he gotten?!?
if hes younger too you will feed more during the growth spurt stages.
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:10 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

ok here's the pics TD.what a chore.michelle.jag is 19 1/2 months.he kept trying to turn on me.
Attached Images

Old February 1st, 2007, 08:14 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

and some more.if you at the back shot near his back end you can see some of his spine.
Attached Images