Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 17th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Annie

Wow just found something about Annie. I am so happy. When we rescued Annie last September, her ears were so infected and neglected, that the vet said she was deaf. We tried clapping and yelling when her head was turned and no response. :sad: Poor little one can't hear the whispers of love we give her, but I hope she can feel the vibrations. We treated her ears and no improvement. Yesterday she was outside and I whistled using my 2 fingers. Loud high pitch noise. Annie turned and looked at me. Can she hear this? This morning I tried it again when she was sleeping. She jumped up and looked around. Seem that while she cannot hear us calling her, she can hear my whistle. And she comes to see what I am doing. I am so happy about this, hubby not so happy because my whistle is quite sharp on his ears.(too bad, Annie can hear it lol) Now I have a way of communicating to Annie. I am happy. The change in her has been tremendous. She went from staying in the kitchen to being with us. She likes to sleep on my chair, with me in sight. She swings her head like a little bear and woofs softly. Yesterday, she tried to initiate play with Missy. She is not sure what to do, but she got in Missie's face and woofed at her with her tail wagging. While Annie is the oldest one here, I find the other three dogs are gentle with her. Quincy, the holy terror, plays non stop with Tyra, Missie and while Piper(the cat) is his chase toy.(Piper chases him back, sounds like herd of buffalo gong through my house) Missie who never backs down from a food dish sneak, will back off and let Annie eat the rest of her food. Anyone else, and it sounds like a free for all. LOL Annie sleeps curled up to Missie or Tyra. She has come so far in the last 11 months. I am amazed and dumbfounded, that she was slated to be put down. Just because she was too old. She has become a very important part of our pack. Her grace and gentleness is truly humbling.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwww, what a nice write up on Annie. and what good news that she isn't totally deaf .

Now, ummm, if only your post was accompanied with some pics of her

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Are those my foot prints?

Any droppings here?

Waiting for my T R E A T

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What a sweetie she is . I can't believe the owners were going to put her down. :sad:

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

The owners threw her out like a piece of garbage to die in the street. She was picked up and in a high kill pound. She was adopted out 2 x and returned once. The second time, she was abandoned in an apartment for at least a week. No food or water. Apparently she peed in the house? Not here, she has had a couple of accidents, but our fault for being home late. The pound called me and asked me if I could take her as she was slated for the needle. And the rest is history...or in Annie's case..HERstory...lol

Old August 17th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

That's great for her. I'm glad you have found a way to communicate with her. It's so sad to hear about stories like Annie's. Sad to think of someone just treating a little animal like that, like they aren't worth anything. Happy though, because she is not happy and loved.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:03 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What great news!!! Maybe she'll get more of her hearing back as time goes on?

She certainly found herself in a wonderful situation, Shaykeija! Amazing how well they respond to a little love, isn't it?

Quote:
Poor little one can't hear the whispers of love we give her, but I hope she can feel the vibrations.
She can feel the love in your caress!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Right on, Hazel

Before I joined Pets, I had no idea that people were so horrible to their beloved, helpless pets.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM

What a beautiful story and she is so lucky to have been saved. And she has several furry friends to play with. She is gorgeous. Love4Himmies, sorry to tell you as to what is going on here in Montreal. 2,000 puppy mills and so many cats living on the streets. Rescue groups cannot cope as we are always full.
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:45 AM
Senior Contributor

She is so beautiful!

I had a deaf dog and I would stomp on the floor so he could feel it and then make hand motions so Poker knew what I wanted.

Maybe u could use a bike horn to call her...you know the kind with the big black rubber thing u squeeze and it sort of does an ooga ooga sound. LOL I use to use it to call in my son for dinner and he could hear it from all over the street. He just lllloveddd it when Mom did that! But it might work for Annie and it wouldn't be so high pitch like your whistle so hubs wouldn't mind it.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:27 AM
Live well, laugh often

Love the look of concentration when she is waiting for her treat . Lucy is mostly deaf as well and can usually here me whistle so I do that. I actually recently bought a regular whistle that I am going to try to train her to so I can get her attention when she is off leash.

Annie is such a cutie .
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:24 AM

Shaykeija have you tried a dog-whistle? The ones they can hear but we can't

She sure was lucky the pound call you

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Yep I just love my little old lady. She is so well trained. She woofs for me to put her on/off the couch. Woofs for attention"Where are you mom?" then i go running to see what she needs. Woofs to go out side and I carry her down the stairs. Woofs for breakfast/dinner/ snacks. Hey wait a sec, do you think I am the one who is trained?

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What a story. She is sure lucky you intervened to save her. I don't get people. Pets are supposed to be forever, not forfun.
Hers is truly a love story... your love for her.