Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Closed Thread

Old March 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM

Unhappy Kittens in litter dying

Hello...I am new here. I have a mama cat who just had 3 kittens (her first litter) and they were all normal. Now she has had her second litter and one has died, now another is very sick and I am keeping my fingers crossed on the other two although they are showing some signs as well. They were all normal at first, then at about 2 weeks, the first started showing signs of not being able to walk, falling over to her back and getting very skinny and dehydrated. Trembing had also started. A little diarrhea. Very weak. I tried to feed her myself for days but it didn't help so I took her to the vet. She died while she was there...I was mortified because the vet didn't seem to take any of it very seriously and didn't even seem concerned. The vet said all of the others seemed fine. NOT TRUE! I KNEW she was different and can tell the others might be catching the same thing. The only two things that were different from the first litter is this time the mama cat was vaccinated while she was pregnant. It was early in her pregnancy so we didn't know until we started putting all the dates together. If this is the problem, will all of the kittens be affected sooner or later? The other thing was that the babies had a ton of fleas on them so I found an all natural spray that said good for kittens. I put it on all of them and then my husband found that the label was taped shut so he pulled it back and under it ...it said, don't give to kittens under 8 weeks! Uuuggh! Why wasn't it put on the outside label and instructions? I knew that you didn't do that but since it was all natural...I thought it was something new and was excited since I know fleas can make them sick too. I washed it off immediately and bathed all of them with Dawn and got them dry and warm. Could that have caused it??? Sorry for such a long post...I am just trying to figure this out and hopefully save the others....
Old March 19th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Please contact your vet.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 19th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Please take these kittens to a vet that comes recommended from someone you trust.

This is serious stuff and requires immediate vet care.
In keeping with board policy on emergencies - this thread will now be closed.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread