Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 30th, 2012, 05:33 PM

Unhappy HELP really worried :(

My 11 year old dog was outside and came back from outside with a really sore eye. It was swollen out in a big ball of a lump,twice the size of his eye normally, really red, and stuff was leaking from it. He was always rubbing his face on chairs and blankets even on a person that was close to him.He couldnt open it and it looked like his eye was pushed back into his head.

There was nothing wrong with him before this. I then noticed a few days later that he had a lump around the middle top area of his side around his rib. The lump doesnt seem to cause him any pain to touch and it feels squishy.

Around a week later I noticed when I took him out he pooped a little then walked and did it again. Now his bum looks really sore, the skin is gone, its scabby and dark colored, and is going up his tail. Also it is all very swollen. This seems to be appearing around his genitals now too and his belly. It looks really sore, red, pussy and bloody. Even when you lift up his tail it is like his skin is sticking to itself. When he sits he doesnt touch his bum to anything he sort of hovers there. I see him go to lick the spots but he stops immediatly as if it hurts him too much.

I do not have funds for a week to take him to the vet, so please dont state the obvious!
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:38 PM

I wanted to add he hangs his mouth open panting for long periods of time and I have not seen him do this. Also he is running frantically from one place to another every now and then which I have also never seen him do.
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I am sorry that your going through this BUT I am going to state the obvious for the sake of your dog. Please take him to the vet. If you have to find a way to borrow the money or credit card or something. Some vets in Canada have financial relief through the Farley Group but I dont have any of the details on that group.

Two important things to consider...he could loose his eye if it is infected bad enough and it sounds like he is in pain due to the issue on his bum. I dont think anyone would want to wait a week to be able to sit down because their bum hurt. Those two things alone would make me want to rush to the vet. As for what the issues he has going on only a qualified vet can really tell you.

It sounds like there is an anal gland problem so to give your dog some relief you could use a warm cloth to clean the area not wiping it just sort of dabbing with the warm cloth, then if you have some penatin baby cream or some zinc cream you could rub some around the bum area.

Other than that please please take your dog to the vet. It does sound like time is of the essence to me....

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:47 PM

I am trying my hardest to come up with the money but next week is the soonest I know for sure I can take him. Hopefully I can come up with something much sooner!

As for his eye, I was putting an eye polysporin on it and it looks a lot better, nothing near how bad it was, but his bum and surrounding areas is what is really bothering me. He is still eating though thankfully. And he will not let me pat him with a warm cloth Its so strange how all this happened at once but it doesnt seem to be related, can infection from his eye have possibly spread do you think?
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

No I wouldnt think it would spread to the bum but please you need to take him to the vet. He is showing signs of pain. Can you contact your vet and see if they will accept a payment plan of some sort? if you explained the symptoms perhaps they will show some compassion because as I mentioned he is in obvious pain. Animals do well at hiding their pain.

You could also try this organization

http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the information. Do you know what kind of treatment they would do if he was to have an anal gland infection?
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

They usually express them and provide an antibiotic to clear up the infection. Also if its as bad as yours sounds it will likely provide him with some pain management.

Is there an emerge vet in your area?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

This really is something that needs to be seen by a vet--especially if, as you say, it's spreading up his tail and in the genital area. Bloody and pussy can't wait, I'm afraid. Can you find a vet that will take installment payments?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:25 PM

I realize this needs to be seen by a vet, I am trying to find out what I should expect so that I can come up with the money somewhere. I live in a very small area and there is only one vet in a sensible distance who does not take installment payments, therefore it is really important for me to be able to come up with enough and not take him and come up short.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Unfortunately, it will be tough to even guess at an estimate before you find out what's wrong...plus vets may charge different amounts depending on where you are. Have you called the local vet's office and asked how much their fees are? They might be willing to have you pay for the office call up front, then do the rest of the cost on payment?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:47 PM

Hi:
I just received my Animal Wellness magazine on Friday past and got into it today and one of the articles in the magazine is more or less covering your problems. These web sites help people who are financially strapped. I haven't had a chance to access any of it. I thought it would be better to get it out so that you can access them and see if any of them are of any value to you.
Here is the list:
Brown Dog Foundation, browndogfoundation.org
The Dog and Cat Cancer Fund, dccfund.org
Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance, fveap.org
Help-A-Pet, help-a-pet.org
Jake Brandy Memorial Fund, myjakebrandy.com
Magic Bullet Fund, themagicbulletfund.org
The Onyx and Breezy Foundation, onyxandbreezy.org
The Pet Fund, thepetfund.com
Red Rover Relief, redrover.com
Shakespeare Animal Fund, shakespeareanimalfund.org

I'm including the Animal Wellness web site, so you can have a look at the magazine cover, in case you want to check out the magazine outlets for it.
I have been getting this particular magazine for a number of years and find it very informative and articles very knowledgeable.

http://www.animalwellnessmagazine.com/
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

It may not just be an anal gland infection, it may be a perianal fistula.

All of these are very painful conditions, can you not borrow the money from someone for a week?
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper99 View Post
My 11 year old dog was outside and came back from outside with a really sore eye. It was swollen out in a big ball of a lump,twice the size of his eye normally, really red, and stuff was leaking from it. He was always rubbing his face on chairs and blankets even on a person that was close to him.He couldnt open it and it looked like his eye was pushed back into his head.

There was nothing wrong with him before this. I then noticed a few days later that he had a lump around the middle top area of his side around his rib. The lump doesnt seem to cause him any pain to touch and it feels squishy.

Around a week later I noticed when I took him out he pooped a little then walked and did it again. Now his bum looks really sore, the skin is gone, its scabby and dark colored, and is going up his tail. Also it is all very swollen. This seems to be appearing around his genitals now too and his belly. It looks really sore, red, pussy and bloody. Even when you lift up his tail it is like his skin is sticking to itself. When he sits he doesnt touch his bum to anything he sort of hovers there. I see him go to lick the spots but he stops immediatly as if it hurts him too much.

I do not have funds for a week to take him to the vet, so please dont state the obvious!
Do you think someone would had shot your dog with a BB gun? I think you need to start putting a little money away each month to save for emergencies like this. It is not fair to for your dog to have to be in pain while you try to get money together.