Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:39 PM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

Question Eukanuba Anti- Pit Bull?

I read on a message board a few months back that Iams is Anti-Pit Bull. Does Anyone know if this is true,because I don't want to support them if that's the case.However I have fed my pits Eukanuba for over a year now and it seems to be really good quality.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Mistruzzi,actually IAMS is junk-food and since their practises with cruel animal-testing,I would not ever support them,either with Eukanuba or IAMS.
Somehow it does not surprise me if they would agree with BSL,they will do anything to sell more of their products,thinking most people support the ban.
There was a video circulating about their animal-testing,I could not handle seeing it,but many did and apparently it was horrific.
I did however get a letter from the company saying they are easing up on testing on the animals..I still would never buy their food,there are many excellent dog/cat foods out there,but it's up to you..
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I find it hard to believe that any dog food company would be anti-any breed. Not sure why it would really benefit them. I can't see them risking alienating an entire sector of owners, for the sake of the small public relations benefit they may percieve. Anyone have any more info on this? I'd be curious to know if it is true.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:11 PM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

Chico2, I wasn't aware if the cruel animal-testing, because I definately would not be buying their product.Do you have a dog food to suggest?One pet store owner recommends Eagle Pack brand.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe someone here will post the site about the testing again,It's somewhere on the Forum.
I don't know if you've read any of Shae's posts,but she could tell you all about it.
I do not have a dog,I have three cats,but Eagle Pack,Wellness(very pricey),Nutro, are all good brands,I am sure other dog-owners could give you more.
I feed my cats,Nutro and"Chicken-soup-for-cat-lovers-soul"+Nutro canned food,finally got them off Fancy Feast
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Here it is,I went through Shae's posts and found it.
www.iamscruelty.com
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

This sounds dumb, but I'm not sure what we buy, but Daisy seems to like it, and the cat, too! (We can't keep her out of Daisy's bowl). It's in a brown bag with yellow writing. I think it's called Performance something or other. Am I a bad puppy-Dad?
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I had Buddy on Diamond Large breed ($65.00 for a 50 pound bag) but have recently switched to Costco's Kirkland Series Chicken and Rice ($22.00 for 40 pounds) and it is great and also almost the same food for less than half the price. They also have lamb and rice at 2.00 more a bag. It has no corn in it also has omega 3 and 6. It is made by Diamond This is not as high a quality food as Wellness but if I had to feed wellness it would cost me close to $200.00 a month that is ridiculous. If you have a small or med size dog it is okay but any giant or large active breeds will be expensive since the 33 pound bag is around $55-$60 a bag. You do not want your foods to contain corn or soya or brewers rice the first 2 are allergens and also they are just filler with almost no nutritional value brewers rice also has no nutritional value to dogs. I think corn is the second or third ingredient in Iams and Eukanuba plus the gas from Euk can clear a room. Just in case you did not know the ingredients are listed in the order starting with the highest precentages first so you dont want filler in at least the first 5 ingredients, I personally would avoid corn and soya the most.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:06 PM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

I just when on Iams website and it does not say anywhere on their site that they don't do testing on animals, therefore they are Still testing on animals.I'm going to try EaglePack.They( Eaglepack)are family-owned and do NOT test on animals.Plus a small family-owned pet store sells it and I would rather support the 'little guy', then the' big guy'-Petsmart.