Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 20th, 2009, 12:22 PM

If I may join in here are a few I've taken recently with my new camera:

Snow geese:
Attached Images

Old May 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM

At the feeder (in sephia tone)
Attached Images

Old May 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
BeagleMum - I'm having difficulty in recognizing the first birdie
Ya, I had no idea either, looked like an alien to me. I think Melinda told me it was a baby cardinal but I can't remember now. They apparently turn more red when they grow or something. This little guy was on the ground in the bushes and you could hear his mom going nuts when I got near him. I just took some pics and left him alone. When I went back to check on him a bit later he was gone so I assume he learned how to fly or something.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Live well, laugh often

Wow, there are some stunning pictures here . Lukka's mom, those shots you took are amazing .

A few birds from this past weekend of camping .
Attached Images

Old May 20th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful,Terri
Love the Eagle,I saw my first one in South Carolina,but I've heard we have them here too.
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Here are two pictures of the cardinal that visits my yard everyday:
Attached Images

Old May 20th, 2009, 08:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Sounds like a deal Hazel.....I'm going to win the $49 million tonight, so expect me next week some time...and no you won't have to pick me up at the airport, I'll be there in my chauffeur driven RV

That's good....closest major airport is 300 miles away in MPLS! I'll watch for the RV...

BeagleMum - I'm having difficulty in recognizing the first birdie
Yep, BeagleMum remembered right--baby cardinal. Nice shots!!!

And lor, beautiful shots of the adult male! Where did you see the snow geese?

TeriM, you always find the best places to camp.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Live well, laugh often

Lor, those cardinal shots are fabulous .
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
[COLOR="purple"]Where did you see the snow geese?
We were driving through an area called Valleyfield not far from here, on our way to Chateauguay. My husband pulled over because he thought they were swans lol...we don't normally see snow geese in our area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Lor, those cardinal shots are fabulous .

Thanks, I have a billion pictures of this guy...cardinals are my favorite.
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Here are a few more from the goose day...I was so happy that I had my camera in the car!
Attached Images

Old May 20th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Ok, last one for now...I love nature pictures and could do this all day!

Another of the handsome boy:
Attached Images

Old May 21st, 2009, 10:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Beautiful pics, lor!

Chris, I'm up to three nectar feeders already And they just got back last week! I'm gonna need all four of me to keep up with the nectar refills come the fall migration!

Some of our residents:

Name:  Hummer D 5-20-09.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  68.2 KB
Herman Hummer

Name:  Hummer A 5-20-09.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  72.4 KB
Buzz Needlenose

and his lovely consort, Lily...
Name:  Hummer C 5-20-09.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  70.7 KB

I could tell it was them right away--they remembered me from last year and let me get really close.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Beautiful pics, lor!

Chris, I'm up to three nectar feeders already And they just got back last week! I'm gonna need all four of me to keep up with the nectar refills come the fall migration!

Some of our residents:

Attachment 52293
Herman Hummer

Attachment 52295
Buzz Needlenose

and his lovely consort, Lily...
Attachment 52294

I could tell it was them right away--they remembered me from last year and let me get really close.
Herman, Buzz and Lily. You can ask them to head on over my way for a nectar nightcap.
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'll maybe try to the boys on in a few days...methinks the ladies are setting up housekeeping and here for the duration but the boys might be willing to push the envelope and explore new territories once all the ladies are busy with their nestly duties.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
-

Quote:
Beautiful pics, lor!

Since you want to hog the Hummingbird population of NA Hazel...what happens when one of "you" goes down

If you say so
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:45 AM
-

Question Hazel...do you get any other species of Hummingbird besides the Ruby Throated?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Question Hazel...do you get any other species of Hummingbird besides the Ruby Throated?
There was an Anna's hummingbird that ended up wintering over in the Mitchell Domes (conservatory) in Milwaukee a few years back--but it got there by mistake and was flown home in style next spring. Other than that, nope...purely ruby-throated this latitude and east of the Rockies.

And what happens when one of us goes 'down'? hubby gets drafted! And hubby's folks if they're next door

Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
-

Quote:
There was an Anna's hummingbird that ended up wintering over in the Mitchell Domes (conservatory) in Milwaukee a few years back--but it got there by mistake and was flown home in style next spring. Other than that, nope...purely ruby-throated this latitude and east of the Rockies.

I had to go googling on sweet Anna, I had never heard of an Anna, she s/he sure was off course, glad they treated s/he kindly.

And what happens when one of us goes 'down'? hubby gets drafted! And hubby's folks if they're next door
Rats....you have an answer for everything
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Answers and pics...what more can you ask?

Here's a few more pics from this afternoon.

Name:  Hummers are back 5-22-09.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  Hummingbird mama 5-22-09.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  62.2 KB

Name:  Daddy Hummingbirds 5-22-09.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  66.9 KB

They went through 5 feeders of nectar today I hung out the 4th one so hubby won't have to refill so many tomorrow morning when I'm gone.

If you're wondering about the missing bee guards--the orioles like the nectar, too, but they can't get through the bee guards. So I remove one from each feeder to give the orioles access. If I don't, they remove it for me and throw it to the ground Beautiful birds, but a tad cheeky, wouldn't you say?

Last edited by hazelrunpack; May 22nd, 2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:01 PM
Live well, laugh often

Great hummer pics Hazel .
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:46 AM

By sheer accident, I finally got a picture I can add. was over at the offleash dog park taking pictures of my dog, when this bright flash of colour went past and perched nearby. the bird book says its a red breasted grosbeak
Attached Images

Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

That's great,the Grosbeaks are so pretty,the fly through here ever now and then too.
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:32 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, I love rose-breasted grosbeaks, ownedbycats!!!! They sing pretty, too! We have them here, but the only chance I get for pics is through the chain-link while they're on the feeders--and the camera keeps focussing on the fence, not the feeder!

I've got a few more hummer pics that I posted elsewhere, so you've all probably seen them...but I'll put them here, too...

Name:  Hummers at the feeder 5-24-09 A2.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 5-25-09 AC2.JPG
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 5-25-09 V1.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  67.7 KB

Old May 27th, 2009, 09:38 AM
-

Hazel the Hummer Hog....I have a question.....are your feeders in full sun or do they get part shade during the day?

In the "Setter's Eye" thread, in one of the pics, I think I counted seven of the little jewels
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

And a few more...

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 5-25-09 AP2.JPG
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 5-25-09 AE1.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  74.0 KB

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 5-25-09 AN1.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  56.3 KB

Old May 27th, 2009, 09:52 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Hazel the Hummer Hog....I have a question.....are your feeders in full sun or do they get part shade during the day?

In the "Setter's Eye" thread, in one of the pics, I think I counted seven of the little jewels
I have the shepherd's hook set up under a pine tree in the hummingbird garden. The feeder farthest from the trunk gets some sun, and all the feeders get some sun early morning and late afternoon, but for the most part, they're in full shade.

I was looking for some pics, but none of them give a good idea of how it's laid out in relation to the tree...so I'll try to take one later (if it stops raining)

This morning, all the hummers are hanging out on top of the tomato cages, ruffling and preening in the rain. So cute to watch them bathe that way!

Old May 27th, 2009, 10:05 AM
-

Quote:
I have the shepherd's hook set up under a pine tree in the hummingbird garden. The feeder farthest from the trunk gets some sun, and all the feeders get some sun early morning and late afternoon, but for the most part, they're in full shade.

That's great, 'cos where I want to hang two feeders is right outside my kitchen window and it is mostly shade, gets a bit of sun when it comes up in morning and then a bit later on in the afternoon

I was looking for some pics, but none of them give a good idea of how it's laid out in relation to the tree...so I'll try to take one later (if it stops raining)

Appreciated in anticipation

This morning, all the hummers are hanging out on top of the tomato cages, ruffling and preening in the rain. So cute to watch them bathe that way!
Hazel you are killing me with envy, no pics on this event
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:23 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

No, no pics :sad: I tried--but had to take it through the screen because it's raining buckets out there. The focus was on the screen so the birds are totally blurred...

I'm not sure what rain would do to the camera

Old May 27th, 2009, 10:57 AM
-

Quote:
No, no pics :sad: I tried--but had to take it through the screen because it's raining buckets out there. The focus was on the screen so the birds are totally blurred...

You could have asked one of the pack to hold the brolly fer ya'

I'm not sure what rain would do to the camera
Don't worry about such trivialities
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:04 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

My 'brolly is huge with a setter on it--it scares the birds away! I actually tried it...