Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old June 6th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Pizza

Does anyone know how to make Pizza from scratch? Well the dough anyways. I really want to have pizza tonight, but don't have the money to buy it, but might have the stuff to make it.
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:14 AM
<-----nut ball

Opps. Too late. Still want a recipe? I have several. Do you have a bread maker by chance? I have one for a bread maker, and one for a non bread maker. I'll assume you do not.

1 tsp sugar
1 cup warm water
1 pkg active dry yeast or 1 tbsp of active dry yeast
2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

in a small bowl disolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast on top and let sit for 10 minutes until frothy.

Add one cup of flour to the yeast mixture and beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes until smooth and combined. You can also do it by hand with a spoon or whisk. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes

after 30 minutes, add 1 more cup of flour, the salt, and the oil. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and kneed for 5 minutes, adding enough of the remaining flour to make a soft uniform dough. PLace in a greased bowl and turn to grease the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

gently punch down dough and turn onto floured surface. Divide dough as needed (should make two regular size pizzas...ie store size pizza pans) or you can divide it into 8 peices and make mini pizzas.

I used to stretch my dough, but found rolling it out to be easier. Just roll it out for a few minutes, then let it rest for a few minutes while you do the next one. Go back and forth between each dough until it is rolled to the right size.

For a crunchy crust, dust the pan with cornmeal first.

There ya go!
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:08 PM
<-----nut ball

Just wanted to add that this dough can be used for virtually anything..not just pizza. I use pizza dough to wrap hot dogs in. I put cheese and a hot dog in the dough and seal up the edges all around it. I then bake them for about 20 minutes until golden. When they are cool, i pop them in the freezer so they are handy to take with you and you just heat and serve.

Other fillings are:

ham and cheese
pizza
scrambled egg (pre-cooked) and veggies
veggies and cheese
feta and spinach

I find that with some of the fillings like the pizza one, I "freeze" the filling first before baking, so I mix the cheese, sauce and topping and put in the bottom of a ziplock bag and make it all even and thin (like the shape of a hot dog). I freeze for an hour so it's easier to put in the dough.

The pockets are great. When they are done, just wrap tightly in plastic wrap and label the plastic with a sharpie with what is in it. I recommend you make all of the same type at once though, so you don't mix them up on the baking sheet.

Today I am making hot dog pockets with cheese.
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Guess I have to do a little shopping next week.
Old June 8th, 2005, 06:09 PM
banned user

I have recipe that doesn't sound as time consuming as RainGirls (no offence, I jsut hate things taking forever) I'll edit after i go downstairs later to find it. It's a great recipe
Old June 8th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Isn't there a dough recipe that you can do in the bread maker??

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~