Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old August 26th, 2006, 06:10 PM
The demons' servant

Food for Megan...

(*cringes* Please don't kill me I swear this is the last thread....well until I think of some other inane question to ask you guys...lol)

Well its that time of year again...SCHOOL! With crazy lunch schedules and bites between classes...

So I need help (say something and die tee hee)

Anyway, I need help figuring out what to eat for lunch. Unfortunately I'm super picky so it gets a bit harder than "oh grab a sandwich"...I don't mind introducing new stuff but its gotta be gradual...

Mondays I can stay at home for lunch...Tuesdays I could go home but in the middle of winter it would take too long so I'd have to bring a lunch/eat out...Wednesday is the same as Monday (except that I MIGHT be on the bus to work at lunch time)...Thursdays I could probably stay home...Fridays around lunch time I'm in class so I'd need to either bring something or eat at the school caf or wait until 3pm (which I don't like because if I'm eating noon/1pm all other days of the week I'll be super hungry)...

I think if anything I should be saving my "eating at the caf" for Fridays...it'll be easiest...its all lectures that day anyway so I don't have to worry about sticky fingers...

Anyone got any advice/what they eat for lunch/tell me to fluff it up a gum tree and eat at the caf all week?

One last thing: I'm sensitive to sour cream and I'm a bit allergic to spinach. so umm not so much with those foods...hehe

Megan
Old August 26th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

If you are a picky eater, tell us what you don't like.
Old August 26th, 2006, 06:46 PM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse's mommy
If you are a picky eater, tell us what you don't like.
If I did that you guys wouldn't come up with any ideas....*sheepish grin*

Seriously just come up with stuff that doesn't require a chef's hat to make and I'll try them out...I want to try new stuff...

Megan
Old August 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Seriously, give us a list. Your list definitely cannot exceed my list.
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:09 PM

What I do is make stuff for supper and save a 1/2-3/4 portion for lunch the next day... Do you have access to a microwave?
Old August 26th, 2006, 09:58 PM

cook an extra piece of chicken and cut it up. Then you can make chicken caesar salad, chicken fajita wrap, or chicken sandwich. wraps are pretty easy and you can put in lots of healthy veg or cheese. you can even buy cut up cooked chick breast now at loblaws if you're really lazy/busy!

I do the reheated dinner too. make extra chili, (you can do veggie chili, or tofu chili, or turkey chili...) or spaghetti or pad thai/asian stirfry (my fave).

cheese? yogurt? nuts? you should try to do protein. we buy turkey pepperettes (low fat but easy and good protein)

sandwiches with deli meat is an ol' standby. you can use any variety of bread, buns, tortillas, pitas.

salad? bean salad, garden salad with tuna,...

what school are you going to? what year?

cafs are usually places to avoid! Basically paying for the pounds.
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:07 PM

oo the best, most filling sammidges are peanut butter, honey and banana.
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:36 PM
The demons' servant

I'm going to Mohawk College for my 2nd year (though this is the third year I'm at Mohawk College) for Computer Networking Technician. I'm in a class full of guys (giggidy ) and last I checked I was the only girl in the class.

OK you asked for the list.....its actually easier to tell you guys what I do like...

- caesar salad (with or without chicken)
- ground beef (in sauce...alone...whatever)
- chicken (usually breast but if made nicely I will go for the dark meat)
- pasta (meat sauce or tomato...aflredo screws with my tummy...also like garlic/butter mixture (not so great for class though ))
- steak (like that's gonna be able to be eaten for lunch...)
- grilled cheese sandwich (but not just a cheese sandwich...I lived on them for years so I'm sick of it)
- pizza (usually just cheese only...not a fan of pepperoni...can't stand any of the premades)
- regular yogurt and the flavoured stuff but not the stuff with chunks of berry or whatever in the bottom

I think that about covers it....

I have tried Peanut Butter and hate it (If I ever do want to try again Arron has some in the cupboard)...beans the same thing (though without it being in the cupboard)...really spicey stuff is out...I can't stand slimey stuff (ie. BBQ sauce on wings)...

Oh and yes I do have access to a microwave in the Student Centre....

The caf isn't *that* bad...we have a Tim Horton's...two in fact...A Dominos pizza...the actual caf of course...the Cellar (which is Mohawk's restaurant)...harvey's...pizza pizza....a little fajita place too.

Megan
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:45 PM
-

Quote:
- pasta (meat sauce or tomato...aflredo screws with my tummy...also like garlic/butter mixture (not so great for class though ))
- grilled cheese sandwich (but not just a cheese sandwich...I lived on them for years so I'm sick of it)
- pizza (usually just cheese only...not a fan of pepperoni...can't stand any of the premades)

Everything there can be reheated in a microwave except for the grilled cheese sandwich.

The salad and the yogurt you could take in a insulated cooler, unless of course, you have access to a fridge as well.
Old August 26th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbmnec

Since it's a no to beans, you could make traditional chili (just meat and sauce, no beans, or you could add veggies you like and barley)
Quote:
MMMMM Chicken Chili!! LOL I LOVE chili!!
Quote:
Who cares about smells? Do you like rice noodles? You could do a chicken stirfry or a vietnamese soup (do you like veggies?)

Quote:
No way!!! My FAVE lunch of all time is organic baby greens, sliced cold steak, maybe a little feta or chevre, and a light balsamic-dijon dressing! MMMMMM
Quote:
What about a croque monsieur or madame or a variation to spice things up? And trying different cheeses. If you don't like sharp cheeses, you could do brie and pear! It's sooo good, it also works as a brie and pear quessadilla. Or cheddar and apple.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
I have tried Peanut Butter and hate it (If I ever do want to try again Arron has some in the cupboard)
What about almond butter or apple butter?
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:40 AM

ooo or nutella! (the healthiest choice )
Old August 27th, 2006, 03:24 AM
The demons' servant

Ooooh lots of good ideas...keep 'em coming!

Oh right fruit and veggies....ummm

- Carrot sticks (can't stand them mushy after being cooked) with lots and lots of dressing/dip...actually its more like dip with my carrots...
- Lettuce with lots of dressing
- Apples...I think it was the Granny Smith that I didn't really like a whole lot but I like most of the others (mmmm Mcintosh)
- Mushrooms...from a can preferably and cooked....none of this stuff they call fresh...
- Canned beets...I remember eating some of those as a kid but I know that I wouldn't be able to finish the entire can of it anymore...I only had one or two slices in the first place

Again spinach does nasty things to my body. I think its the high iron levels in it actually. But it doesn't make sense either because I can have the spinach-pasta and I get the same reaction. Eh something else to test for in September.

Cheese

- Cheddar, Parmesan (*drool*), Mozzarella, Marble, White Cheddar (I swear they do taste different!)...umm not sure what else I've had...the ex used to make this really good cheese sauce to put over pasta but I never got the recipe off him and I really regret it. It was really simple too had something like four ingredients or something...flour, milk, cheese and something else...for the life of me I can't remember it (if it existed)...water perhaps?

***random side note: Has anyone heard of Beer Cheese or Wine Cheese? They used to make it and you could find it anywhere but I can't find it anymore. It might not be called that anymore though...Both were orange cheeses with green spots (wine) and red spots (beer) and they were really really really good. Bloody addictive too.

Ewww reheated grilled cheese...*shudders*

Oh and by steak I meant the 10 oz steak that you get at restaurants/fry up yourself. That definately won't happen but shredded steak...hmm wonder if that tastes any good.

Oh I also like Genoa Salami...just not in sandwiches...not a sandwich person really...I just can't stand having the bulk of my sandwich get pulled out while I'm trying to take a bite...

Oh and wraps too...fajitas are good (but only on the Old El Paso kind of tortillas) and I enjoy eating those too...they just never stay closed...lol

Oh I do like rice....not sure if I've really had rice noodles...OH and I really liked the Chicken Teriaki from one of those Japanese places in malls and such...its really good...I shall have to look up a recipe for it...

I'll have to go buy/borrow/steal from the parents a cooler for lunches and maybe even a lunch bag...hmmm now there's an idea

Megan

P.S. I have only JUST realised that I'm actually *trying* to eat healthy this year...or healthier anyway...I think I could be *gasp* growing up! I should probably mention that most of my high school years have been spent eating Smarties/M&Ms/candy for lunch...make more sense now?
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:38 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan
I should probably mention that most of my high school years have been spent eating Smarties/M&Ms/candy for lunch...make more sense now?
How did you stay so thin?
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

The cheese sauce was probably a basic roux with cheese added, made of cheese, butter, milk, flour, salt and pepper.
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
How did you stay so thin?
I don't know....I just don't know...

I really should have eaten better....didn't have breakfast in those years either....so I really didn't have a whole lot to eat....I just didn't eat....wasn't even "I need to be skinny" just I was too lazy/was even pickier than now to eat anything....

The school caf did have amazing cookies in the mornings though especially fresh baked!

Megan
Old August 27th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Boss-lady!

If you like rice (and it's on the list!), I make a rice pilaf that reheats well and would be good with chicken or thinly sliced steak. (I make about 3 times as much as we eat for dinner because we all like it the next day reheated.) I add mushrooms, green onions and almonds to it, so it's a pretty varied food. I love it with stir-fried chicken or pork over top of it.

Oh, and I discovered it makes really good tomato rice soup, too.

Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll post it. Takes about 10 minutes of prep and then you just leave it to cook for about 25 minutes. Easy!

I forgot-I agree that the easiest way to make sure you have good lunches is to cook more for dinner than you need. If I'm bbqing or broiling meat, I add extra so that my kid has lunch for the next day and my husband has something quick for when he gets home from work in the morning.

It's a thing that kinda drives me nuts-my kid often takes dinner leftovers for lunch since she gets really sick of sandwiches and the school "cafeteria" is horrible. She's ended up taking enough lunch for 3 kids most days because a)some of her friends never have a lunch with them-or money to buy something, b)the ones with money buy crap with it and c)she ends up sharing her lunch because my home-cooked stuff is a novelty among her friends and they love it-most of them have never had anything like it. I don't mind the compliments on my cooking, but how sad is it that many of these kids don't get anything that doesn't come from a package? And, really, groceries are expensive enough without feeding other people's kids, but I feel sorry for them.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad

Last edited by Skryker; August 27th, 2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old August 27th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Do you like BBQ chicken, beef, and/or pork? I have an easy recipe for mini BBQ Muffins (actually it's biscuits in a muffin pan) that is really really easy and very convenient. Let me know if you want it.
Old August 27th, 2006, 06:28 PM
The demons' servant

Not a big fan of BBQ stuff (not only that but we don't have a BBQ...well we do but its a table one and doesn't have any propane atm...oh and we don't have a table outside to sit it on while we cook)

I usually don't like the slimy sauce stuff....*shudder* sorry :s

Skryker...I'll take it

Megan
Old August 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM
-

Oooo, I'd like that.
Old August 27th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Well actually the BBQ meat that I'm talking about is the stuff that is premade in the plastic container in the lunchmeat department of the grocery store. These things are great, very easy and you can just throw the leftovers into a sandwich bag for the next day. So if you want it, here's the recipe:

Ingredients
1 (12-ounce) can buttermilk biscuits
1 1/2 cups cooked shredded pork, beef, or chicken with barbecue sauce
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Steps

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place each biscuit in one muffin cup. Press biscuit down into bottom of each cup until about 1/4-inch thick, then press biscuit up side of muffin cups to form crust.
3. Divide bbq evenly into biscuits (about 2 1/2 tablespoons each); sprinkle with cheese.
4. Bake 20–25 minutes until biscuit edges are golden and barbecue is thoroughly heated. Serve.
Old August 27th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Boss-lady!

OK-here it is! I double it and it makes a big pot full.

1 cup long grain rice (basmati is a little expensive but very yummy!)
1/2 cup orzo (rice shaped pasta) or vermecelli broken up
1/4 cup slivered almonds
3-4 chopped green onions, white and about half of the green part
1 can mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon margarine
2 1/4 cups of water or broth
spices to your taste or to match your main dish (soy sauce, italian seasoning-what you like)

Put the water or broth and your spices in a pot with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a simmer.
Meanwhile, heat the oil and margarine in a frying pan on medium-high. Add the rice and pasta to the frying pan and toss to coat it in the oil. Cook the rice and pasta until rice is opaque and pasta is lightly browned. It will smell wonderfully toasted. Add the rice and pasta to the simmering water. Cover. Put the almonds in the frying pan and toast until lightly browned. Add to the pot. Add the mushrooms. Stir.

Cover again and cook at a gentle simmer (about 2 or 3 on my stove) for 20-25 minutes. Most of the water should be absorbed. Add the green onions and stir. Cook for 5 minutes more. Remove the pot from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

Makes about 2 1/2 to 3 cups.

I sometimes add frozen peas when I add the green onions, or green beans.

Your cooking times may be slightly different depending on your pot and stove.

Like I said, I vary the spices depending on what it's going with. I don't bother with spices at all if I make something like stir-fry that has its own sauce.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad