Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 27th, 2013, 02:28 PM
banned user

Unhappy Yikes

I have a Belgian Malinois X but he is more like his father than mother, Has all the raits of this breed. We are beginning agility training as he requires extreme exercise. I have two important issues 1. I have tried to introduce him to people by way of instruction yet he still nips. 2. no matter how often I try and I mention this to others while we and his brother go for walks that all dogs attack him no matter what yet he goes balistic and yes the dog attacks because Moses is so hyper that the dog becomes aggressive even this passive dog behind fence who never makes a peep growled at him and she is so good. What could I do pulling hair out. At home he is angel outdoors he is hell fire on four legs. Please if anybody is familiar or has suggestion I would greatly appreciate it
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Senior Contributor

How old is your dog, if he is a puppy you need to train not to tip at people as this could become a real risk if still doing this when he get bigger. I would bring him to good dog trainer if you are not able to stop the tipping.
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'd say that you need obedience training from a professional trainer that is referred by someone you trust.

Some dogs are really easy to train, but this does not seem to be the case here.
By the sound of this, and with respect, it seems like this training problem is not something you can handle yourself. Your dog is not respecting you as the leader. Your dog will grow bigger and stronger. Both the dog and you will benefit from group classes with other dogs and a trainer that knows how to deal with dogs like this.

Normally these classes aren't a fortune and imo, it is THE single best investment you can make. Trying to deal with these problems later in life (your life and the dog's life) will be far more difficult and lead to way more frustration.

Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I'd say that you need obedience training from a professional trainer that is referred by someone you trust.

Some dogs are really easy to train, but this does not seem to be the case here.
By the sound of this, and with respect, it seems like this training problem is not something you can handle yourself. Your dog is not respecting you as the leader. Your dog will grow bigger and stronger. Both the dog and you will benefit from group classes with other dogs and a trainer that knows how to deal with dogs like this.

Normally these classes aren't a fortune and imo, it is THE single best investment you can make. Trying to deal with these problems later in life (your life and the dog's life) will be far more difficult and lead to way more frustration.

Good luck!
And more dogs end up in kill shelters because they get too big and uncontrollable for the owners to handle them. If the dog happen to be black is has a harder time getting adopted,as people are afraid of black dogs.
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh COME ON.

First this dog was Lab from champion bloodlines: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83230

Then he's part Mastiff, part Labrador: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83437

And in both those threads above AKA registration is quoted which is meaningless for a purebred dog in the U.S. where the registration is AKC or in Canada where it is CKC, for Canadian Kennel Club.

Next you say you thought he was a Mastiff but now you've read the papers and he's Malinois, no mention of any cross with another breed at all: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83451

Now he is a Malinois cross, no mention of what he crossed with, this pup that came from champion Lab in your first thread.

In these threads and in several others many people have offered tips and advice, the recommendation of training classes being made over and over.

This poor little puppy was three months old on your Jan 21, 2013 thread so he is only four months old now. Who in the world accepted your puppy for agility training? Are you doing it yourself, on your own? Do you know he is too young for the stresses of jumping and weave poles? You would be far better off getting him into a regular puppy class where you can learn how to handle this dog. A four month old puppy does NOT need extreme exercise. He needs moderate exercise and training. All the actions you say he displays are normal puppy behaviour.
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:53 AM
banned user

hello

PEOPLE MAKE mistakes I am not perfect. Yes he is beginning obedience training so kindly refrain from chastising me. Person accepted at the age of 4 months and I have removed him from agility thank you all
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:00 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Oh COME ON.

First this dog was Lab from champion bloodlines: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83230

Then he's part Mastiff, part Labrador: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83437

And in both those threads above AKA registration is quoted which is meaningless for a purebred dog in the U.S. where the registration is AKC or in Canada where it is CKC, for Canadian Kennel Club.

Next you say you thought he was a Mastiff but now you've read the papers and he's Malinois, no mention of any cross with another breed at all: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83451

Now he is a Malinois cross, no mention of what he crossed with, this pup that came from champion Lab in your first thread.

In these threads and in several others many people have offered tips and advice, the recommendation of training classes being made over and over.

This poor little puppy was three months old on your Jan 21, 2013 thread so he is only four months old now. Who in the world accepted your puppy for agility training? Are you doing it yourself, on your own? Do you know he is too young for the stresses of jumping and weave poles? You would be far better off getting him into a regular puppy class where you can learn how to handle this dog. A four month old puppy does NOT need extreme exercise. He needs moderate exercise and training. All the actions you say he displays are normal puppy behaviour.
No I posted incorrect thought he had been Mastiff. My paper say A.K.A Belgian Malinois crossed with black labrador if only I could scan to prove it but that is not appropriate for site I am doing everything possible with him. No I am not doing the agility training myself and since pulled him out and now he is going to begin obedience training thanks everyone for your input