Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old May 13th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Natural Flea and Tick Repellent

So now that I am feeding raw and the dogs are doing so well at it I thought I would look into Natural Flea and Tick repellents.

Does anyone have any ideas what might help that is purely natural?

I once heard to give a dog garlic, but now I have learnt that garlic is very bad for dogs.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM

Great Idea. A natural way would be so great. I don't have an answer but I will be checking your post to see if someone comes up with something.
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I buy a glycerin-type bar shampoo called "Flee-Flea". I can only find it on-line. I believe it's made in Canada. Anyhow, it's safe for both dogs and cats. We haven't had a flea problem in all of the over 20 years we've been using it. I order the large size bar and then cut it into 4 smaller bars that are easier to use. I just received a box of 4 bars today per hubby on the phone. Took 2 weeks to receive it! I was starting to worry because my supply had gotten down to just small slivers. I'll post what the ingredients are when I get home and open the box. But I'll probably be out late tonight.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:10 AM
-

You can give garlic to a dog in small amounts. I wouldn't give more than one clove to a large dog or 1/2 clove to a small dog. Here are a couple of websites about natural flea control....

http://www.vetlord.org/natural-flea-...dogs-and-cats/

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedi...a-control.html
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Thank you rainbow!!

That first link was great. I have just placed an order for Avon Skin so Soft and I am going start giving my s some garlic tonight. But to be on the save side I am only going to give them a sliver of a clove.

The bugs were so bad last weekend while we were camping that I got all scared...

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

These are the ingredients in Flee-Flea: Purified water, vegetable glycerine, safflower oil, castor oil, palm oil, coconut oil, color
Attached Images

Old May 14th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I use eucalyptus oil for flea control. I put it on a bandana and tie it around the neck fleas hate it.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 4th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Tick help needed now for prevention with cat!

I absolutely am at my wit's end trying to figure out what to do. We've found a tick on about three people in the yard here of our seniors' building which are very well kept. I was one of those people!

My cat has to go out every evening (on a leash) or I can't handle the howling..he loves his walks, and now I'm terrified of what will happen. He's got long hair (although clipped shorter for the summer) and it's not a cat that will let you handle him much. I use a flea comb, and I regularly feel all over him, (which takes some time) but I just don't know what to put on him so it will at least repel these ticks.

I've been making garlic juice up and rubbing it all over him, as much as he'll let me, but I just don't know if it's going to be enough. Can someone PLEASE tell me what to do? I really want a natural rememdy, but if I can't find one, then I'll have to resort to chemicals, I suppose.

Thank you so much.
Jovin
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:35 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovin View Post
I absolutely am at my wit's end trying to figure out what to do. We've found a tick on about three people in the yard here of our seniors' building which are very well kept. I was one of those people!

My cat has to go out every evening (on a leash) or I can't handle the howling..he loves his walks, and now I'm terrified of what will happen. He's got long hair (although clipped shorter for the summer) and it's not a cat that will let you handle him much. I use a flea comb, and I regularly feel all over him, (which takes some time) but I just don't know what to put on him so it will at least repel these ticks.

I've been making garlic juice up and rubbing it all over him, as much as he'll let me, but I just don't know if it's going to be enough. Can someone PLEASE tell me what to do? I really want a natural rememdy, but if I can't find one, then I'll have to resort to chemicals, I suppose.

Thank you so much.
Jovin

Click Me!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Thanks so much.

I really appreciate this information. I'm going to be looking to see if I can find this product here in Canada. If not, I'll be going over to the U.S. to get some!
I live in a border city, so it's not that much of a problem.

Thanks for this site. I'm so glad you responded.

Jovin
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Please do not use Sergeant's Nature's Guardian on any cat!!!!

It contains large amounts of essential oils which are toxic to felines. Their livers cannot process oils the way dogs or humans can and absorption of these oils can become dangerous. http://www.eartheasy.com/article_nat...ea_control.htm

Quote:
Cat owners take special note: Cats should not be given any essential oils, period.

The use of essential oils with cats is a potentially volatile combination. Cats do not efficiently metabolize essential oils and their use can lead to symptoms of toxicity. In addition to essential oils, cats have known metabolic sensitivities to certain herbal preparations and allopathic medications. Because the cat's body does not efficiently excrete essential oils, they can build up to toxic levels. Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, dizziness, clumsiness, lack of appetite, lack of energy and shock. In addition, cats have very thin, delicate skin. Essential oils are absorbed rapidly into their skin and enter the bloodstream, overwhelming their systems. Cats dislike strong odors and generally keep away from strong scents -- even highly diluted essential oils.

Many people find that they can use essential oils on their cats with no obvious adverse effects. Although one or more applications of an essential oil product or blend may not cause immediate harm, the effects of essential oils can be cumulative and manifest themselves at a later date in the form of toxicity for which owners and vets often can find no attributable cause.
More info:
http://www.naturalhealthweb.com/articles/Bell2.html
http://www.thelavendercat.com/3201/index.html
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...therapyandcats

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Tamer of the Furgang

This applies to dogs - no idea about cats.

Flea control: I smash one organic lemon (peel and all), add a few sprigs of fresh rosemary and fill it with a quart of hot water. (not boiling ! ) Let sit over night, drain and voila. Keeps in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks. Apply twice a week and rub into the fur. Once it's dry it brushes out like hairspray.

Tick control: Peel tons of garlic, remove the green stem (that's the toxic part of the garlic clove), put in a jar and fill with olive or canola oil. Let sit for three days and give about one tablespoon over the food every day.

I have neither seen a tick nor a flea yet this year.

Greetings,

Sabine and the Furgang
Old July 5th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Gosh,

There's such conflicting information out there that I don't know what to do. Yes, garlic is great. I gave my cat that I used to have, garlic everyday. She never had a problem with fleas. Now I'm hearing don't give garlic to cats!

What on earth am I to do? I just tried to get the Nature's Guardian here in Canada.....apparently it's not available.

Thanks to both of you for the information. I'll have to ponder on this. I do appreciate it very much.

Jovin
Old July 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Tamer of the Furgang

As I said, I'm highly allergic to cats and therefore don't really know a whole lot about them. As far as toxicity of garlic goes: The toxic part is the green stem in the center of the clove. Once that is removed, the animal usually doesn't have a problem with it. The toxicity also lays in the AMOUNT of garlic being fed. I've been giving garlic for over 30 years now and none of my dogs ever had a problem with it. However, I do not give more than half a clove to a clove a day with the center removed.

Greetings,

Sabine and the Furgang
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM

Thanks again, Sabine,

I appreciate your comments. I just had the cat out again and I pierced a couple of garlic gel capsules, mixed them with some water and rubbed it with cotton all over the cat. I give him garlic pills about every other day now, since I'm concerned about this tick problem, and worried about the amount of garlic that he should have. I have no idea what to do, or what I'm even going to do, but I sure don't want a tick problem with him OR ON ME!

Thanks so much for the information.

Old July 15th, 2008, 02:31 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Please do not use Sergeant's Nature's Guardian on any cat!!!!

It contains large amounts of essential oils which are toxic to felines. Their livers cannot process oils the way dogs or humans can and absorption of these oils can become dangerous. http://www.eartheasy.com/article_nat...ea_control.htm

More info:
http://www.naturalhealthweb.com/articles/Bell2.html
http://www.thelavendercat.com/3201/index.html
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...therapyandcats

The pet-store I go to sells it...... and they are extremely strict on what they sell. That's why I wouldn't think it to be dangerous if they sell it.

http://www.billswonderlandofpets.com/pets_031.htm

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
The pet-store I go to sells it...... and they are extremely strict on what they sell. That's why I wouldn't think it to be dangerous if they sell it.

Perhaps the store owner isn't aware of the dangers of essential oils to cats. You should print out the information on the websites that Sugarcatmom refers to and give it to him.