Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old July 14th, 2008, 11:45 PM

Nature's Variety Frozen Raw, how often do I need to add meaty bones to my dog's diet?

I've been feeding Nature's Variety Frozen Raw. I hope it is good for my dog. I am wondering though, should I be also giving him raw meaty bones, such as beef marrow bones, chicken necks, and chicken backs? And how often do I need to give him the bones?

I saw on Yahoo Answers someone complaining of feeding their dog the BARF diet and that their dog chipped a tooth from eating bone. Does this happen often? She said it was on a chicken wing. Could this happen from a chicken neck too?
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Feeding large, hard, recreational bones do carry the risk of chipping teeth. I know some people who will not feed them for that reason and others who do and accept the risk.

You don't actually need to feed extra bone if you're feeding NV raw patties. What you might want to try, if you're worried about chipping teeth, but want to provide some chewing/tooth cleaning action, you could try chicken feet.

A dog chipping their tooth on a chicken wing, quite frankly, seems rather unlikely. Chicken bones are pretty soft to begin with and the wing is certainly one of the smaller parts. Anything is possible though