Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old July 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM

Considering starting RAW, from pet store

On my visit today at the Pet Valu, to get a bag of holistic food, they didn't have the brand I wanted, but they did have a large freezer stocked with prepackaged 1kg RAW dog food. There is chicken and veg, or turkey and veg etc. Price looks really reasonable as I have a mini schnauzer, and will cost almost the same as a bag of holistic kibble.

So I know nothing about RAW, except what the store guy told me. He seemed really informed. No grain, or doggie biscuits once on this food. Add 1 tsp of the oil per day. Just thaw, divide and serve the food twice a day.

This seems like something I can do, lol. I have a very weak stomach when looking at raw chopped up animal parts. I don't go into butchers and can't stand the smell or the thoughts, lol.

I am finding it hard to read some these posts about bags of entrails, organs, necks, feet etc, lol. I don't think I could continue doing RAW if this is what I will have to do sometime in the future. Searching for bargain carcasses at butchers, and chopping and sorting through raw meat, it is all too gross for me.

I can hardly get my kids to eat their veggies, never mind my dog too.

So my question is, is this frozen raw food just as good, and I won't have to hassle with the gross part? Once I start, will it be as simple as I am imagining? As easy as buying the packets and not having to handle the food?
Are these packages all my dog needs, balanced and no need to do more and add more?

thanks for replying to a newbie at raw, lol

Ebony - miniature schnauzer
Old July 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

There are a huge variety of opinions on pre-made raw. Personally, I think there are pros and cons, just like anything else and just as with kibble, not all pre-made raw foods are equal.

If you're feeding a ground product, you're giving up the teeth cleaning and mental/physical workout of feeding larger pieces of meat, but you're still getting a whole bunch of benefits of whole, raw foods.

As mentioned above, not all pre-made raw diets are the same. You should check out the % of veggie added to the food and what that those are, as well as what other stuff is in there. I personally wouldn't feed some of the raw diets that are anywhere from 15-40% veggies, but that's just me.

You'll also want to look at what kind of variety is available. Are there various meats to rotate through? What kind of organ variety is included in the food?