Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old July 8th, 2008, 09:37 PM

Just starting raw

I recently rescued an 8 month old american bulldog and started feeding him raw 3 days ago. I have been giving him chicken only so far. I get a little nervous about him choking. He doesn't hold the food with his paws just keeps it in his mouth chewing and swallowing at the same time. He makes snorting and grunting sounds sometimes so it freaks me out. I quartered a chicken and he gets a quarter 2 times a day. Am I worrying about nothing. Is there any way I can get him to eat in one place and not drag the food in the house. Any and all advice welcomed..Eileen
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Live well, laugh often

Chicken is a great raw to start with. It is generally recommended to start with one protein and then gradually add in others as they original is accepted well. Chicken is also fairly soft and digestible so I really wouldn't worry to much. I have a dog that is a gulper so I often hold a corner of the chicken until I feel it has at least had a few token chews .

If your dog is a real gulper then I would probably recommend that you not feed turkey necks unless you first take a mallet to them to crush the bones. Turkey necks are one of the more common choking risks although I have never personally had any issues.

Is feeding outside an option for you? What about a crate? Some people even feed in the bathtub to prevent dragging the food around . I would recommend leaving a leash on the pup and designating a spot that you don't want him to leave while eating. The leash can then be used to redirect him back to the spot.

Good luck .
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Thanks TeriM. I don't have a fenced in yard so outside is not really an option. I think I will just keep his leash on and redirect him since most of the day it is already on him. He has some manners to still learn. I'll try holding the chicken too maybe it'll slow him down. This whole raw thing still seems alittle overwhelming. What do you use for treats. I use treats sometimes with training and I don't want to carry raw chicken in my pocket. Eileen
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I know a couple of people who get a cheap plastic table cloth or tarp to put on the floor when feeding, or a towel could be used as a designated area. Another option would be in an empty crate, then cleaning the crate pan when the dog is done eating.

Personally I stick to treats that are just dehydrated meat, something like Benny Bully's liver treats or the like. Cheese is also used occasionally.
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:08 PM

Thanks pitgrrl. The table cloth sounds like a good idea. Things were so much easier when I was a kid. Nobody worried about raw meat. We survived. I will look for those treats too.