Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old June 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Charlie is constipated.

Charlie seems to be a bit constipated, poor girl. The kittens are currently around 2 lbs each, eating a raw diet 3 times per day and Kitten Wellness Canned mixed with Oganics by Nature Canned for their morning breakfast.

The raw is mostly NV so the bones are really ground up finely (5%veggie), along with Pawsitively-Raw(no veggies added) which has tiny bones that they can crunch. I was thinking the bones would keep them "regular" but doesn't seem to be working.

Should I mix some pumpkin to their raw? If so any idea how much per kg of weight I should add?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I wanna poo easy, can sombody help me, pleeeeeease? I am just too busy to spend time in the litterbox.
Attached Images

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:25 AM
cat slave

sigh...i just went through this with Peanut and since it's been a pesonal experience and watching her struggle for days to poop, I swear I will NEVER not give her any foods with not enough grain/fibre in it. If you want my opinion, I think raw is a bit too much for a kittens' stomach to handle. I also firmly believe, now since it happened a few weeks ago, that some cats can't digest a diet that's all meat. My one cat had constipation, the other one didn't....

anyway...try pumpkin, try other things. I tried them too, but eventually I had to take my Peanut to the vet because it was just getting ridiculous and poop wasn't going anywhere, and i was told in the future to give her the fibre she needs because she can;t handle anything else. She ended up with constipation AND diarrhea because it was so clogged up and yet the pumpkin made a mess in there.

good luck with your kitten
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:32 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I had the opposite problem. I tried just a quarter teaspoon in TT's food 3 times a day but it didn't help. Once the worms were cleaned out he got better.
I got sulcrate from the vet. !/2 cc 3 times a day. It lines the bowels and makes things move easier with less stress to him. I don't know if it would work for Charlie or not, poor little girl. :sad:
Have you phoned to see what your vet says? Sulcrate, if it would work, isn't expensive. I think I paid $14 for a med jar full. It lasts a long time. Sorry I can't be more help.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

It tends to be the amount of bone content in NV that can cause constipation in some cats. Perhaps mixing in a little extra raw meat without bone would help.

In the meantime, slippery elm bark syrup could be helpful in lubing things up, if you have any: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...em=slipperyelm

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
In the meantime, slippery elm bark syrup could be helpful in lubing things up, if you have any: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...em=slipperyelm
to Hi-jack L4H, sugarcatmom - do you think that would help Herbie with his constipation in winter. He sorta has Megacolon?

L4H - Charlie is adorable
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
It tends to be the amount of bone content in NV that can cause constipation in some cats. Perhaps mixing in a little extra raw meat without bone would help.

I know I have dogs and you have cats, but for what it's worth, I think NV and most pre-made raw foods, have too much bone for some animals to handle, which can lead to constipation.

I second the suggestions of slippery elm and adding raw muscle meat to lower the bone % (which is what i do all the time, otherwise the dogs poop rock hard white stool).
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

My vet would say, take them off raw, and I have to go through Gan Humane Society, they have to call their vet and then I have to do what ever their vet tells me to and if they tell me I have to feed them their prescription food...

This is new for Charlie, normally their poops are perfect and no smell . I bought some pumpkin, but will get some Slippery Elm Bark. I have some wild goose in the freezer, I'll take it out and mix some with their raw. That was Sweet Pea's kittens favourite meat.

In the Pawsitively-Raw brand, the bones are chunks so I can take those out then mix the left over meat with the NV. I don't want to take them off the raw, their muscle mass is WONDERFUL! I just held a kitten at Global, same age as mine and it does not have the muscle mass mine have. It was the same way with Sweet Pea's kittens.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 5th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
to Hi-jack L4H, sugarcatmom - do you think that would help Herbie with his constipation in winter. He sorta has Megacolon?
Wouldn't hurt to try. SEB is well tolerated by cats and has no known toxicity (but don't give it at the same time as any meds cause it's mucilaginous properties can inhibit absorption). Continuing to hijack: What does Herbie normally eat?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:57 AM

Pumpkin or Butternut Squash purreed you could try roughly 1/16 of a tsp - most measuring spoons have 1/8 tsp just divide that in half since Charlie is just a wee one.

A little bit of ground flaxseed will also lubricate the poop to make it for her to go. Put a heaping tsp of ground flaxseed into a glass dish, add 1-1.5 tsp hot water to make it slimy then add the tip of the teaspoon a mm or 2 deep she shouldn't need more than just a wee bit.

Are the kittens drinking enough water?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Pumpkin or Butternut Squash purreed you could try roughly 1/16 of a tsp - most measuring spoons have 1/8 tsp just divide that in half since Charlie is just a wee one.

A little bit of ground flaxseed will also lubricate the poop to make it for her to go. Put a heaping tsp of ground flaxseed into a glass dish, add 1-1.5 tsp hot water to make it slimy then add the tip of the teaspoon a mm or 2 deep she shouldn't need more than just a wee bit.

Are the kittens drinking enough water?
I add water to their raw (hot water that warms up the food slightly) and their canned so I think they are getting plenty of water and they go pee LOTS! They don't eat any kibble, they don't seem to recognize it as food.

I got some Slippery Elm Bark yesterday, cut open a capsule added to their food twice last night (total 2 capsules for 4- 2lb kittens) and this morning there was two slightly soft poops . Not sure if one was Charlies, but they were not rock hard as they were before. I also picked out the bones in the Pawsitively Raw (1/3 of the raw they eat).

Today I will give them some of the pumpkin I purchased.

Thanks guys!!!!

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 6th, 2008, 11:11 AM
-

Quote:
Wouldn't hurt to try. SEB is well tolerated by cats and has no known toxicity (but don't give it at the same time as any meds cause it's mucilaginous properties can inhibit absorption). Continuing to hijack: What does Herbie normally eat?
L4H
He gets 1/4 can of wet food twice a day with 1/2tsp of metamucil and kibble. Then during the day a little kibble once or twice. I had him on Royal Canin Light all winter because of the fibre content, but have been switching to grain free. He doesn't like Wellness Core, so I tried Fromm which he does like, I don't want to compromise him going to the toilet though. In the winter I was giving him Lactulose 2-3 times a day but not now. I also ceased giving him the cisipride this winter. I do mix water with the canned food and Herbie weighs 25lbs :sad: and is 13 years old.
My original thread about his constipation is in the pet health section dated Sept 27th (I don't know how to post the link )
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I don't mind TJs at all, so carry on. Life is too short to worry about such stuff.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 6th, 2008, 12:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I don't mind TJs at all, so carry on. Life is too short to worry about such stuff.
Thanks L4H. We are all basically here for the same reason, to have a good time and get good advice and support from each other, but I have noticed that it does seem to bother some peeps
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That's how I feel too, Chris.

Came home, caught Charlie pooping and wahoo, no straining, not as soft as the others but not like yesterday

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM
-

Cool .