Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 26th, 2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Awesome!! Let me know how that goes......
Ya...needless to say it's not going very well but i figured that much...

Forest is pretty much waiting for the treat and not wanting to do anything for it, or just isn't grasping the concept. I tried separating them in the bathroom one at a time and Forest just crouched in the corner thinking he was in trouble :sad:, wouldn't even eat a treat. Gizzy got a few clicks but got tired of being locked up.

Have many ppl been successful with clicker training cats? Especially with a skittish cat (aka Gizzy)?

But as for feeding him where he sleeps or just outside of where he sleeps, is that ok? Will he continue to sleep there despite getting dinner there?
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollface View Post
Have many ppl been successful with clicker training cats? Especially with a skittish cat (aka Gizzy)?
It certainly can be done, although I don't know anyone personally. I know my cat (Aztec) is very treat motivated and I've "trained" him to come for his insulin shot and jump on my lap for his blood test. He does come when called (usually), and shaking the treat container makes him come even faster. Clicker training is kind of a version of "shaking the treat container", but the timing of the click is crucial for the cat to develop an association between it and the corresponding treat. So keep practicing, but make sure it's fun for the kitties and only do it for very short sessions (couple minutes max). Can you train them at the same time?

Quote:
But as for feeding him where he sleeps or just outside of where he sleeps, is that ok? Will he continue to sleep there despite getting dinner there?
I think it's fine. Aztec still sleeps in the spots where I feed him. I don't leave his food there though. After he's had a bit, I take the dish to his normal feeding area and he'll go back and forth several times for snacks.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 28th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
It certainly can be done, although I don't know anyone personally. I know my cat (Aztec) is very treat motivated and I've "trained" him to come for his insulin shot and jump on my lap for his blood test. He does come when called (usually), and shaking the treat container makes him come even faster. Clicker training is kind of a version of "shaking the treat container", but the timing of the click is crucial for the cat to develop an association between it and the corresponding treat. So keep practicing, but make sure it's fun for the kitties and only do it for very short sessions (couple minutes max). Can you train them at the same time?
hmmm, maybe my clicking is off a little. They rarely ever sit together but I have tried to train them with one on the couch and one on the floor. Turn my attention to one, look back and the other one is waiting to "play". I've started a thread in the Cat Behaviour forum, hopefully someone can lend a hand!

Quote:
I think it's fine. Aztec still sleeps in the spots where I feed him. I don't leave his food there though. After he's had a bit, I take the dish to his normal feeding area and he'll go back and forth several times for snacks.
Ok sounds good
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Am I feeding them enough?

Forest has become the food hog lately. They each get 3/4s of a can everyday. But lately, or maybe since I've introduced the raw food, he has been eating more than usual. They get fed at 5am, 5pm and 10pm. He whines as soon as my boyfriend gets up to go to work in the morning. Starts whining at 3:30pm until 5pm. Even if my boyfriend gets off work early Forest thinks he can start the whining. And at 10pm like clockwork.

Forest is 11 lbs and Gizzy is 10 lbs. Vet said they are a healthy weight but Forest has a flabby stomach and when I do the hand test of sliding them from his elbows to his belly they spread further apart, and that means he is fat, from what I read. I don't want to feed him too much to the point he gets more overweight but he tries to lick the plates clean to the point I don't even need a dishwasher sometimes.

Could this be cause for concern? Or should we start feeding more? We are literally on the last can of food with 8 raw patties defrosting. On NV's website it suggests Gizzy would need 4 1 oz patties and Forest 3 1 oz patties per day.

Any suggestions?
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:42 AM

I've been doing some research on cats suddenly eating more than usual (just Forest) and it could be worms or diabetes. I don't think it's worms because neither go outside. Since my sleep schedule is screwed up due to not working, last week I noticed Forest drinking a lot in the morning, it seemed excessive but maybe because I am not usually around to see him drink, I'm not sure if I was witnessing anything out of the ordinary. He is still at 11 lbs so he's not losing/gaining weight. It's spring time, so natural to shed lots of fur.

Any suggestions?
Old April 9th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I've been doing some research on cats suddenly eating more than usual (just Forest) and it could be worms or diabetes. I don't think it's worms because neither go outside. Since my sleep schedule is screwed up due to not working, last week I noticed Forest drinking a lot in the morning, it seemed excessive but maybe because I am not usually around to see him drink, I'm not sure if I was witnessing anything out of the ordinary. He is still at 11 lbs so he's not losing/gaining weight. It's spring time, so natural to shed lots of fur.

Any suggestions?
A quick trip to the vet for some blood work would rule out any of the usual conditions that can result in an increased appetite, like diabetes or hyperthyroid. I can't remember, when was the last time Forest had a senior wellness exam?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
A quick trip to the vet for some blood work would rule out any of the usual conditions that can result in an increased appetite, like diabetes or hyperthyroid. I can't remember, when was the last time Forest had a senior wellness exam?
He has never had one to my knowledge. And when I did want him to have one the vet said he didn't think he needed one So I have yet to find a good vet, but have narrowed it down to 2. The other part is my bf thinks I worry too much and that he's fine...

How long can raw food be left out by itself? Has anyone had a bad experience with the lamb formula? GPF only had one bag of chicken and me thinking since they like the chicken they would like any kind. But I think my worst nightmare has come true. Buying a full size bag of lamb and they aren't eating it :sad: I notice it's a lot tougher than the chicken and I have to kind of shred it in chunks for them to eat it. There was some throw up this morning, 3 shoe lengths...

Do you think putting drops of Bach flower essences is making the food disagree with them? I think I will try no drops for a few days to see if that picks up there appetite.

Happy Good Friday!

and for good measure:
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM

Well got some good news and some bad news...

Bad news: the lamb doesn't seem to be agreeing with Forest, he threw up 3 times within 24 hours. He even threw up on my bf's GST check and while trying to clean it up it ripped from being soaked for so many hours while we were out. I hope he'll be able to get issued a new one

Good news: I asked my step-dad about chicken carcasses if he could get some and he said he could get them for free for me! Already ground with bones, so I guess I won't have to shop for a meat grinder anytime soon.

All I guess I would have to do is buy the supplements and mix it in? Can I stir it in or use my hands to mix it?

Anybody want an open bag of lamb raw for $10? I think there are 45-46 left in the bag.
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Bad news: the lamb doesn't seem to be agreeing with Forest, he threw up 3 times within 24 hours.
Ya, that can happen. Aztec's brother couldn't tolerate fresh beef and once charmingly yakked some off the edge of the kitchen table, emphasizing its splatterability.

Quote:
He even threw up on my bf's GST check and while trying to clean it up it ripped from being soaked for so many hours while we were out. I hope he'll be able to get issued a new one
Eek!

Quote:
Good news: I asked my step-dad about chicken carcasses if he could get some and he said he could get them for free for me! Already ground with bones, so I guess I won't have to shop for a meat grinder anytime soon.
That's awesome! Me = jealous. Does that include the organs as well?

Old April 11th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Ya, that can happen. Aztec's brother couldn't tolerate fresh beef and once charmingly yakked some off the edge of the kitchen table, emphasizing its splatterability.

Eek!
Oh lovely. And all 3 times he was right near the linoleum and tile floors that he always chooses the carpet out comes the rubbing alcohol! Great smileys!

Quote:
That's awesome! Me = jealous. Does that include the organs as well?
I'm not sure, I will ask! Can I just use the chicken, if it does, as the main meat source in the recipe, or do I need rabbit too? I need the skin too right?
Old April 11th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'm not sure, I will ask! Can I just use the chicken, if it does, as the main meat source in the recipe, or do I need rabbit too? I need the skin too right?
I would just use the chicken. If you can get your hands on some rabbit, that could be a separate meal. I prefer not to mix protein sources in the same meal although I know others do without a problem. My reasoning is that if there is a digestive issue with the food, you won't know which meat is causing it.

As for the skin, you might want to remove some of it since it is so fatty. Cats need fat, but maybe not as much as is found on a commercially raised chicken.

Old April 13th, 2009, 09:41 PM

How long can raw food be left in their dish? Same as wet food?

And how long can they be left in the fridge after defrosting?

Do you know if anyone here would be interested in an open bag of lamb with a few missing?
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:16 PM

got a question!

Yesterday we were late on defrosting their food so we gave them some tuna for lunch and then they got their NV for dinner. This morning they got NV and the left over tuna on top. Sometime today, someone threw up a bit and there was also some poo in the same pile. Cause for concern? Or should tuna and raw food not be mixed together?