Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old July 10th, 2014, 08:32 PM

Tripe?

I am starting to transition my dogs to a raw diet. We can't afford to buy the premade stuff so I bought some beef liver, a couple marrow bones and tripe. But it's white. So, can I feed it to them as long as it's not going to be a regular thing?
Old July 16th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

The white tripe you have is bleached and washed and has no real nutritional value for your pets. It's been cleaned for human consumption. It won't hurt them, but it's sort of a waste. Raw green tripe is super stinky (think cow barns) and the dogs LOVE it. You will not find raw green trip in any grocery store. Stores that sell raw dog food will normally carry green tripe frozen, which is fine. Just defrost it and feed.

Be careful with liver, it will cause loose stools, I generally give liver only before I give a bone in meal. Too much bone can cause constipation so the liver balances it out nicely.

As for the marrow bones, be very, very careful of that. Marrow bones are normally from a cow's leg bone, and weight bearing bones (as in from cows, and bison and such) while fun for a dog to chew, can do extreme damage to their teeth. They are just too hard. Your dog can easily chip a tooth or crack one on a marrow bone. The other problem with marrow bones is if they get their bottom jaw stuck through the hollow of the bone and end up with it stuck on their jaw. I never feed marrow bones even though I can get them for free, just too much risk. Bones should also never be fed unsupervised.

Good luck with the raw diet. It can be daunting to get into, but the results are well worth it. Introduce new meat sources slowly to avoid cannon butt.
Old March 15th, 2015, 09:28 PM

green tripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
The white tripe you have is bleached and washed and has no real nutritional value for your pets. It's been cleaned for human consumption. It won't hurt them, but it's sort of a waste. Raw green tripe is super stinky (think cow barns) and the dogs LOVE it. You will not find raw green trip in any grocery store. Stores that sell raw dog food will normally carry green tripe frozen, which is fine. Just defrost it and feed.

Be careful with liver, it will cause loose stools, I generally give liver only before I give a bone in meal. Too much bone can cause constipation so the liver balances it out nicely.

As for the marrow bones, be very, very careful of that. Marrow bones are normally from a cow's leg bone, and weight bearing bones (as in from cows, and bison and such) while fun for a dog to chew, can do extreme damage to their teeth. They are just too hard. Your dog can easily chip a tooth or crack one on a marrow bone. The other problem with marrow bones is if they get their bottom jaw stuck through the hollow of the bone and end up with it stuck on their jaw. I never feed marrow bones even though I can get them for free, just too much risk. Bones should also never be fed unsupervised.

Good luck with the raw diet. It can be daunting to get into, but the results are well worth it. Introduce new meat sources slowly to avoid cannon butt.

hi,

i hope u can help me... i am looking for green tripe. do u know where i can purchased or order them... thanks in advanced from burnaby bc..
Old March 16th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Senior Contributor

totoy, I get tripe from my raw food supplier. Google and see if there are any near you.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...20burnaby%20bc
Old March 16th, 2015, 09:40 AM

When I lived in BC, I used Surrey Meat Packers when I started RAW, this is 15 years ago but I was happy with the quality and price of the green tripe. They have since expanded and have three locations now, including one in Burnaby. It is in the link that longblades thoughtfully provided you but I've included their website in case you wanted to check it out. http://www.surreymeatpackers.com/

Last edited by MarianE; March 16th, 2015 at 10:26 AM. Reason: typos ~sigh~
Old March 16th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.vetinfo.com/the-benefits-...-for-dogs.html

Too much liver can be bad for dogs , You could try going to a butcher shop if you have one and see if they sell green tripe. I dated a guy and his grandmother cooked green tripe and OMG I thought I was
going vomit rom the smell of it. She brought it from a butcher shop but this was years ago.
Old March 16th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
http://www.vetinfo.com/the-benefits-...-for-dogs.html

Too much liver can be bad for dogs , You could try going to a butcher shop if you have one and see if they sell green tripe. I dated a guy and his grandmother cooked green tripe and OMG I thought I was
going vomit rom the smell of it. She brought it from a butcher shop but this was years ago.
Yes, but tripe is the lining of the stomach. Still, totoy should research raw feeding in order to make educated buying and feeding choices. There are some raw feeding facebook groups that might be helpful

I find offal smells just about as bad as tripe. I can't imagine cooking or eating either myself. Yuck.
Old March 16th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Yes, but tripe is the lining of the stomach. Still, totoy should research raw feeding in order to make educated buying and feeding choices. There are some raw feeding facebook groups that might be helpful

I find offal smells just about as bad as tripe. I can't imagine cooking or eating either myself. Yuck.
I know what tripe is , I was saying that too much liver is not good for dogs.

Some people were so poor they had to the byproducts of animals , my b/f
was Black and his grandmother was very poor growing up and ate food that was throwed away.
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Totoy, I buy my tripe frozen from Surrey Meat Packers in Burnaby. Their phone is 604-291-8799, they are at 3930 Kitchener St. (near Lougheed and Gilmore area). They carry a good variety of items, but I do find the premade raw to be a bit pricier than looking for sales on meat and organs. I do pick up my tripe there though as my butcher looks at me like I'm nuts when I ask for it! lol I do buy meat cuttings (scraps) from him in bulk though for the dogs. From Surrey Meat Packers I do buy the occasional pack of preground duck or lamb just so I can throw in a bit of variety for the dogs. I buy a preground chicken and bone mix also from Mountain Dog Food as it's a bit chunkier than the SMP product. I normally mix in a bit of organ, a bit of the ground and then chunks of whatever other meat I have on hand, be it beef or pork or lamb. Turkey wings and necks are great for a larger dog to chew on, I buy the necks at SMP also as I have a hard time getting enough of them from my butcher. Good luck with your choice of going raw. There are some great raw feeding websites out there. Let us know if you need anything else.