Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 25th, 2005, 06:49 PM

Question Cat's anus has puss - any ideas?

Today I noticed my cat Bella was licking her anus. I've never seen her do this with such intensity before. I picked her up and turned her over and when I pulled her tail back to look at her anus a squirt of what looked like puss came out. She is active and alert. I grabbed a tissue and dabbed at the puss. It is yellow and is very watery. Any ideas or suggestions? I am calling the vet clinic to make appointments for both my cats but it my be a week or so before they get in since its a military facility. Does anyone think this is an emergency situation that can't wait? Thanks for your help! Aloha!
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

cat's butt

I'm thinking that your cat has just "expressed" her own anal gland(s). Dogs and cats both have them. If this is the case, it is not a big rush to get to the vet, as they usually empty themselves naturally when the cat has a poop. This is likely what has happened as you say the cat seems in fine spirits otherwise. You can tell for sure it's the glands if it smelled so bad that you almost fainted Here's a blurb on glands:

http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/analglands.htm
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Could it have been diarrhea?
If it's really pus, that would seem to be a very serious infection that really can't wait a week. If it's diarrhea, it's something that may pass (so to speak) and there's things you can do for diarrhea...

Cats are pretty stoic & often won't show signs of physical stress until they are truly feeling miserable. Dehydration, (gently pinch skin on back, it should spring back quickly) pale gums, not eating, drinking or grooming, painful stomach, listlessness....if you see one or more of these things going on, then she really must go to a vet.

I'd make the vet appt, if you haven't already, and then just watch her carefully.
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:19 PM

cat's butt

Indeed! If it is diarrhea, that is another kettle of fish. Could you determine if the "squirt" in question come from the sides of, or from the anus itself? If from the anus, you may want to collect a sample and get it to the vet if and when you decide to go. Check the cat's litter for other evidence of diarrhea. Diarrhea is a dis"stink"t possibility
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:19 PM

Vet clinic said it might be a gland that ruputured

Bella has an appointment on Thursday morning. The clinic didn't seem too think it was anything major as long as we take care of it quickly. They think it is a ruptured gland. I hope that the appointment is pretty routine. I've been very lucky with the health of both of my cats and hope that it continues. Thank you for your posts and suggestions!
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM

cat's anus

It is not an unusual occurence in cats or dogs, and depending on what the Dr. finds and deems necessary to do to your cat, there will be a certain degree of discomfort. Let's just say that the kitty will not be overly happy, as any messing around in this department is uncomfortable for a few days but the cat will be much happier in the end, and I really did not mean that in an insensitive way...just the words that came to me. No offense intended and good luck with the kitty!
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:38 PM

No offense taken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezzerpezzer
It is not an unusual occurence in cats or dogs, and depending on what the Dr. finds and deems necessary to do to your cat, there will be a certain degree of discomfort. Let's just say that the kitty will not be overly happy, as any messing around in this department is uncomfortable for a few days but the cat will be much happier in the end, and I really did not mean that in an insensitive way...just the words that came to me. No offense intended and good luck with the kitty!
No offense taken at all! I appreciate all the help and suggestions. The article was very informative. I actually wish I had seen it before I had made the appointment. I was pretty anxious until I was able to make the appointment (constant busy signals on the tele). Aloha!
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella and Cody
Bella has an appointment on Thursday morning. The clinic didn't seem too think it was anything major as long as we take care of it quickly. They think it is a ruptured gland. I hope that the appointment is pretty routine. I've been very lucky with the health of both of my cats and hope that it continues. Thank you for your posts and suggestions!
A ruptured anal gland will scar down and heal. Antibiotics will help the healing process. Beats having surgery done anytime.

"Butt juice" is gross even when coming from a healthy gland....

..so much for a good dinner topic.
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Not a pleasent experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
A ruptured anal gland will scar down and heal. Antibiotics will help the healing process. Beats having surgery done anytime.

"Butt juice" is gross even when coming from a healthy gland....

..so much for a good dinner topic.
No Kidding... LOL It was a pretty disgusting experience for both of us! Not a pleasent topic or experience at any time of the day! Thank you for your support!
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

OH, I forgot that cats can have anal gland problems too!
I've dealt with it in dogs...
Good luck with Bella's butt! (sorry, couldn't resist.)