Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 10th, 2011, 07:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Pyometra - NOT a disease to fool around with!

I am posting this because I want to get the correct information out there. Currently there is a thread being shown that states pyometra can be treated with a course of antibiotics and close observation. Please Note - this is NOT always the best course to take. In fact it could cost your dog, or cat, it's life. Without constant vet supervision, which most of us can not afford, it will likely end badly.
From - http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/pyometra.htm
Please note there are some disturbing pictures with this article.
Article Written by Dr. Daniel A. Degner, Board-certified Veterinary Surgeon (DACVS)

Key Points

The word pyometra can be divided into two root words

Pyo means pus

Metra refers to the uterus

Pyometra starts after a dog goes through a heat cycle, usually within about 3 to 5 weeks

Spaying is the treatment of choice

Prognosis is usually favorable, providing that the patient is not profoundly ill

Anatomy

The uterus is a Y-shaped organ that has two horns
An ovary is located at the end of each horn of the uterus

Pathophysiology
The word pyometra can be divided into two root words
Pyo means pus
Metra refers to the uterus
Pyometra starts after a dog goes through a heat cycle, usually within about 3 to 5 weeks
Stimulation of the uterus with abnormal levels of hormones (estrogen and progesterone) cause the lining of the uterus to become thickened and fluid accumulates inside the uterus
Infection develops in the uterus
As the infection progresses, the uterus fills with pus
If the pet has closed pyometra the cervix is not open and pus cannot drain to the outside
If open pyometra is present, the pus can drain through the cervix
The infection is life-threatening; closed pyometra may cause a pet to become more ill than open pyometra

Clinical signs
Pus may or may not drain from the vagina/vulva (see photo below)
Increased thirst/increased urination
Enlargement of the abdomen as the uterus fills with pus
Lethargy
Poor appetite
Weight loss
Enlargement of the abdomen
Fever
Dehydration
Clinical signs are variable from pet to pet

Diagnostic tests
Complete blood cell count usually shows an elevated white count
Chemistry profile to evaluate function of internal organs
Radiographs of the abdomen
Ultrasound of the uterus (photo below shows a uterus filled with pus - black structure)
Culture of the pus from the uterus
Biopsy of the uterus if cancer is suspected

Treatment
Fluid therapy via an IV to correct dehydration
Antibiotics
Transfusions of plasma, Hetastarch, whole blood
Surgical removal of the uterus; photo below shows a very enlarged uterus that is filled with pus

Nonsurgical Treatment
Fluid therapy
Antibiotics
Prostaglandins help the uterus to expel pus and alters the hormone levels of the ovaries
This treatment should not be used if the pet is quite ill
This treatment should not be used if your pet has closed pyometra
This treatment may not work and surgery will need to be done
If this treatment is successful, the next time the dog goes through heat, pyometra will usually recur unless the dog is bred and becomes pregnant

Aftercare
Antibiotic therapy
Restrict activity for 3 weeks
Encourage eating and drinking
Check incision for signs of infection

Potential complications
Anesthetic death
Bladder infection
Peritonitis, which is infection of the abdomen
Abdominal abscess formation
Disseminated intravascular coagulation, which is a clotting disorder from the infection and causes death in many patients.
Sepsis – poisoning of the body by toxins from bacteria

Prevention of pyometra

Simply having your pet spayed at a young age will prevent pyometra and will decrease the risk of mammary cancer

There is more information on the web site. I urge you all to read it.

This is also another good site to read. Because of length I won't post it but please read..........
http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/pyo.html

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:43 PM
banned user

Thanks so much 14+ for the great post. I know Frenchy was trying to convey that and not trying to give out the idea that it is ok to put our precious pets in danger.

I will be sure to read all the links...I don't think you can ever know enough about Pyometra.
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes I read what frenchy wrote and she was trying to get her words out. This illness can kill your dog quickly....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:00 PM

thanks for taking the time to research and post this information.
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

14+ thanks for posting that! That sounds down right scarey!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)

Last edited by Ford; May 11th, 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:42 PM
chronically insane.

14+, would it be okay with you if I linked to some pics of mine/my friends of pyo's we've seen for educational purposes? i will put a graphic warning.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:52 AM
chronically insane.

In all my time spent at a spay/neuter clinic I've never heard any of the atleast 2 dozen (some with 20+ years under their belt) vets I've worked with say they've ever had any cat or dog EVER get better from a pyo with any kind of medication. Not to say that it is completely impossible, I'm just saying it's highly unlikely.

From my clinical experience and from what I've discussed with reputable breeders and highly skilled veterinarians, it is very unlikely that any cat or dog would survive, let alone make it to a full term pregnancy, with a pyometra infection, especially one that started so early in the pregnancy, regardless of any form of antibiotics.

I have seen cats and dogs die or nearly die from pyometras, and die or nearly die from having pyometras while pregnant.

Also, depending on the anti-biotics or medications administered to a pregnant cat or dog, they could have serious long term developmental impacts down the road on any pups/kits.

I hope I'm allowed to have an opinion on this subject considering I've only seen a few hundred pyometras and several pregnant pyometras

Last edited by Ford; May 11th, 2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: should be a pm to admin
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for posting this thread. Very informative and hopefully educates people.
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

THANK YOU 14+kitties for another very, very informative thread .

I believe that the threat of pyometra should NOT be made light of. It is a life threatening illness, that, IMHO, NO LOVING dog or cat owner should risk their pet for. "Open" pyometra may be treated with antibiotics, but not always successful and there is a good chance of it recurring.

Edited by Admin

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by marko; May 11th, 2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:43 AM
~Cat Servent~

great info as always mf!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:56 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Kathryn - I appreciate your offer. If people take the time to open the links there are plenty of shock value pictures there.

I must admit I am a bit confused as to why there is such an argument going on about such a life threatening, deadly disease. I am not here to argue whether a vet's writing style is "soft". I did this thread simply to try to help people make an informed decision regarding their dog's very life. How is that arguable?

Just as a point - I do not wish the "other" thread to be drawn into this as far as including names. I will be asking mods to remove any mention of names from this thread. It does not need to muddy the waters. This thread was made to be educational NOT to be another argument.
Thank you.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

THANK YOU 14+!!A very scary condition,I knew absolutely nothing about it..
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:23 AM
150% PRO S/N

For those interested in stats (I am) - All information I was able to find said IF TREATED 90% of dogs survive this horrid condition. The following blog said it about the best..........

http://insidethegermanshepherddogswo.../pyometra.html

Old May 11th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

All issues with other members should be taken to PM.
This is a general thread on Pyometra, let's keep other members and other threads out of it please.

Thx
Marko
ADMIN
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I'm not going to argue but hypothetically if Karma or Tibby were to get Pyometra I would spay in a heartbeat. I absolutely love those 2 dogs and they mean far more to me than producing a litter of pups. I wouldn't care if either one of them was top Champions for this or that they're my family first, all the rest is just bragging rights IMO. However, I would also spay for "fair" hips or not passing something as simple as CERF as well.
I dont breed to breed and I don't care if I get a litter out of them or not, the only reason I will breed is if I am looking to produce something specific (aka Tibby) and if someone wants to start bashing me for breeding for any reason feel free to PM, or hunt down my blog again. LOL

I am with the pro spay/neuter people on this one, I personally would not risk my dog going through this any more than they had to by leaving them intact, I dont care how much money could be invested in my girl or a litter, the quality of their lives and keeping them out of danger is number 1 for me personally.
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:42 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ridge went into heat right after she arrived, which delayed her spay a few weeks (we did Macie and Belle in the meanwhile and rotated Ridge's spay to the end of the new arrivals). During that time after her heat ended she suddenly became somewhat cold sensitive and a little more lethargic than usual. Both signs were very, very subtle. She's never been the most animated and she always preferred being warm to being cold... We told the vet about the symptoms and after some back-and-forth (because her symptoms were so slight and all her bloodwork and UA came back normal), we finally convinced our vet to put her on antibiotics. (This is where a good relationship with your vet is important--they know how carefully we watch our dogs and that we'd often caught things earlier than they could because of it.) Her symptoms improved under the antibiotic treatment so the vets agreed to keep her on the antibiotics till her spay.

Lo and behold, when they did the spay, they found a closed pyometra. The uterus was large and pus-filled but somewhat deflated since the infection was responding to the antibiotics, but thank dawg the vets listened to us and thank dawg the antibiotic chosen was effective for that particular infection! Lucky Ridge that we were able to spot the subtle signs despite having just gotten her! What if we hadn't noticed?!

I always wondered how it might have turned out, given that her pyometra was almost symptom-free, if she'd not gotten the meds. Or if they'd just treated her over the usual course of 10 days and then stopped the meds. The outcome could have been tragic. Definitely a scary condition!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; May 13th, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:53 PM

Having recently done extensive research and been in contact with vets, breeders, and owners who have experience with canine pyometra, I would like to share my knowledge on the subject, and welcome others to share theirs.

Canine pyometra is most common in old female dogs who have never been bred or who have had numerous unbred heats or mismate shots, with most sources giving the typical date of diagnosis as 4-8 weeks after her heat. Atypical cases are dogs as young as 4 months, those who have been bred previously or currently, and as early as during her heat or later than 4 months following. The only criteria covering all cases of pyometra are a female who is unspayed or was incompletely spayed.

Whether an individual dog will be considered a candidate for antibiotic therapy depends on the individual dog’s prognosis at the time of initial exam and diagnosis, on the vet’s experience, knowledge, and confidence in reproductive medicine, and on the breeder’s ability to provide supportive care and close observation. In most cases, the dog will be spayed immediately at the time of diagnosis.

Pyometra is one of many risks added to a breeder that is not a factor for the average owner of spayed or neutered pets. Some of these risks can be eliminated or reduced by choosing healthy dogs and by good management practices and preventive health care. Some of the risks are an unavoidable part of being a breeder.

Being a breeder is not just a matter of choosing not to spay your dog and getting her pregnant. It means knowing your risks, managing them, accepting them, and preparing for them. It means having the time to be there for your dog and her puppies, having the knowledge, strength, and support to deal with whatever comes your way in an appropriate and timely manner, and most definitely having the financial means to deal with any of the potential emergencies that could befall your female and the entire litter.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; May 13th, 2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Per Admin
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

How many people do we personally know who do not spay or neuter just for the simple reason of cost? I can name a good 10 off the top of my head.
This thread is a great tool to help someone who has an intact female for no other reason than saving money to reconsider that a few hundred dollars right out the starting gate is a safer option.

The breeder part of me also finds what SamIAm wrote equally benificial for someone who is even just considering keeping their female intact to breed for bucks (sadly this is another common reason people do not alter) I find this is something they should hear as well.

Quote:
Being a breeder is not just a matter of choosing not to spay your dog and getting her pregnant. It means knowing your risks, managing them, accepting them, and preparing for them. It means having the time to be there for your dog and her puppies, having the knowledge, strength, and support to deal with whatever comes your way in an appropriate and timely manner, and most definitely having the financial means to deal with any of the potential emergencies that could befall your female and the entire litter.
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:03 PM

Please keep the intent of this thread as it was originally intended by 14+: an educational source regarding pyometra which can be used for future reference by everyone.

thanks
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM

14+ thank you for this information.

My husband has a relative who inherited an elderly unspayed female bassett hound when her mother passed away. Given the dog's age and the fact that she would not be exposed to intact male dogs, the new owner thought it was in the dog's best interest not to spay. As you can guess this dog got pyometra. It is fortunate for the dog that her owner was a nurse and rushed the dog to the emergency vet when the foul-smelling discharge started. It was a very hard surgery for an elderly and now very ill dog to have. She did pull through but needed to be hospitalized for nearly a week and her recovery was very rough and very long. I'm certain that the cost was much greater than having a routine spay at the vet on a healthy dog--financially and emotionally for the owner and physically on the dog.
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM

Thanks for posting this 14+ I had no idea pyometra was such a serious illness.

You are very right that the risks are much too high to fool around with giving other treatments if the dog has been diagnosed with it. I know if it were me, I would have my dog spayed immediately rather than risk her life even if she was a show dog.

Last edited by dbg10; May 11th, 2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: correction
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Pyometra

Thank you 14+kitties for a very informative article on a serious health issue pertaining to non-spaying of pets for the sole purpose of breeding.
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:28 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks everyone.

Old May 12th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Pyometra resources

Thx - 14+
There are also 2 additional resources on pyometra on this very site.

Link 1 is from the encyclopedia and is slightly more technical
Link 2 is from the articles section and is less technical

http://www.pets.ca/dogs/encyclopedia/pyometra/

http://www.pets.ca/dogs/articles/pyo...cats-and-dogs/

Thx - marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 12th, 2011, 10:22 AM
150% PRO S/N

Thank you Marko both for adding the tag(s) to the thread for me and for the additional information. It can never hurt to have as much info as possible!

Old May 12th, 2011, 11:06 AM
chronically insane.

**WARNING GRAPHIC NATURE**

click links at your own risk! SURGERY PICTURES!!!!!!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...6_770579_n.jpg

Pyometra from a 4 year old pit bull (julia's pic)

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7449423_n.jpg

Same dog, uterus when we were taking it out (julia's pic)

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1837035_n.jpg

Young cat that had a pyometra while pregnant and all the fetuses died near time, the cat went into septic shock and was on deaths door when brought to us. A local animal hospital was literally about to put the needle in this kitties arm to euthanize her when one of our vets at the shelter heard another vet at the hospital mention it. The kitty was rushed over to us and put in for an emergency spay.. she was barely alive. We were able to pump her full of fluids and some heavy dose antibiotics and SHE MADE IT THROUGH!! And is a happy healthy kitty today!! (my pic)

http://img685.imageshack.us/i/img9339t.jpg/

Same cat, a wider view of the uterus once removed, the yellow gunk is the infection from the pyometra. You can't see it as well because most of it was still in the sac. (my pic)

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...0_810772_n.jpg

Pyometra in a young cat (laura's pic)

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...1_868655_n.jpg

same cat about 2 or 3 years old (laura's pic)

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6432805_n.jpg

What it looks like inside.. same cat as above (laura's pic)

http://img811.imageshack.us/i/230658...16076d6b4.jpg/

This is a RABBIT uterus with a huge tumor that was basically like a pyometra because it was filled with yellow nasty gunk. The rabbit was 3-5 years old. (my pic)

http://img339.imageshack.us/i/245250...85dd85a97.jpg/

Another situation of a pregnant cat that developed a pyometra. In this situation the fetus died and when it started to reabsorb into the body the cat got VERY VERY SICK and nearly died. (that's why it looks like this there alot of dark colored blood, but it was blood mixed with pus from the infection)... This is why anyone who is against spaying pregnant animals needs to see pictures like this. Cats and dogs DIE from problems with pregnancy! (danielle's pic)

http://img715.imageshack.us/i/ewwwwwwwwww.jpg/

Okay, this isn't a pyometra but it's in the same ballpark. This is a purebred boxer that the people intended to breed but of course they were morons who shouldn't have even ever owned a pet. She was only about 18 months old at the time this happened. This is a prolapsed uterus & vagina. Yep... lovely huh? and because they were cheapo's it took them until it was THAT bad to seek help. It was all infected and disgusting.... now a dog that could have easily been spayed as a puppy had to go through possibly numerous surgeries to correct this or be put down (we had to refer this dog somewhere else because it was too much for the spay clinic) (my pic)

Hopes this clears a few things up for you people

(pics posted with permission from mod)

Old May 13th, 2011, 10:14 AM
~Cat Servent~

wow kathryn...scary scary stuff... I like to be informed though, the more info the better! so glad my girls won't have to go through any of that!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Thanks for the info 14+

My aunt had never heard of this and about a year ago she told me her 7 y.o. min pin wasn't spayed. She was contemplating "letting" her have one litter so she'd get to be a mother. I was like "ummm....let's not do that". Explained to her about pyo and three weeks later she got her fixed. I was so relieved!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Skylar's Farm

When I met my husband almost 20 years ago he had 2 female house cats. One spayed, one not. I don't know if he had just not gotten around to having the second one spayed, but regardless, within 2 years of her living with us she had developed a pyo. I went into her sleeping area one day and discovered a bad smell and blood everywhere, even up the wall.
Freaking out, we took her to the vet and the pyo was confirmed.

I don't remember exactly what meds etc. she got, but she was spayed and it was an "extensive" spay requiring her to have more IV fluids and a longer hospital stay. We felt just horrible, but had never heard of this at the time.
That particular kitty cat went on to live until the age of 14 when she lost a battle with unrelated cancer.
Now all of our cats (rescues) are immediately spayed, I never want to see another episode like that again if I can help it.
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:57 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks folks for sharing your stories. It does this weary heart good to see how much a lot of people truly care for their pets by getting them spayed early before this disease hits. I wonder what the percentage would be for pyometra if more people left spaying till it was too late. I'm so very glad spaying seems to be catching on.

Tags
pus, pyometra, secretion