Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 8th, 2014, 02:42 PM

My Dog is a Junk Food Eater

I am hoping you guys could help me curb my dogs addiction to what I call the "McDonald's" of dog food.
Porscha has recently come to our family and her previous owners sent us home with some of her current food she eats…Pedigree
She is also over weight (go figure). I have recently bought a small bag of Acana Light and Fit and have started to transition her diet. Well she only eats the Pedigree and literally leave the few kibbles of Acana in the bowl. Help please! How do I transition to a better quality food if she picks through? I haven't fed her yet this morning as there is still Acana in the bowl from last night and she hasn't gone near it. I know she's not starving as she has some reserves on her belly LOL! But any ideas or recommendations from some tried and true methods would be appreciated thanks!
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:42 PM

In this case, I'd just do a cold turkey switch You may have some tummy upset (watch for that) but if she's picking through to the Pedigree - best to remove it from the equation altogether.

I'd also go with the tough love approach. Put her food down (all Acana) and leave it for 15 minutes. If she hasn't touched it, pick it up and she doesn't get it until next feeding. No treats, etc either in between. She'll get the idea.

If she's still really holding out - it could be she's just not a fan of the food. You may want to try a different brand/flavour at that point (but Acana is a very good food!)

Good luck!
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I like the tough love approach LL suggests but I'd transition in diminishing quantities. Example 75% old food for first 2-3 days. then 50/50 for a few days, then 25% old food- then 100% new food.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

A dog can get over weight on any dog food. I had to try a lot of food before I got my dog to eat and I finally used the tough love approach , Marty had to eat what I put down or not eat at all. He finally realize I was not going to give him any other dog food and he gave his hunger strike .
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Senior Contributor

You could always consider trying raw. For a small dog it's not too expensive, and there aren't too many dogs who don't like it!
Old February 9th, 2014, 12:39 AM

Great replies! Thank-you! So tough love it is! In fact this evening was her first full feeding of all of the new food and she ate it! Yay but… she has been giving off really stinky gasey farts! I think its her anyway… no one else in the house this evening to blame it on
I hope her tummy gets used to the new food and its not going to be like this all the time
Old February 9th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Happy to hear that Porscha has decided to eat her new food. I am surprised at our members though that responded without asking for pictures we love pics please post some!!
Old February 10th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Bad Gas eh, interesting. My dog has been on Acana for a very long time, but she too is very gassy. But I like the ingredients. I find small dogs esp are fussy. I top the kibble with a high quality canned food like 2 TBSP and add a bit of water to make it hydrated. She gobbles up her food no problem. Stay away from extra treats and feed her twice a day, she might metabolize it better and follow the chart and don't overfeed her. She will be back to shape in no time. Really cute dog and I love her name.
Old February 10th, 2014, 01:17 PM

So she didn't eat much yesterday at all. I did give her her deworming pill from vet on Saturday which she gobbled up without chewing. I think it had something to do with the little bit of cheese I wrapped the pill in as I remembered when I was young thats what my mom did! But this morning she went to her feed area assuming to eat but I had her dishes put away as she was not allowed anything to eat or drink after midnight. She will be one hungry pooch after her mouth recovery! Hopefully!