Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Diezel + Ball = Heaven

Ok so maybe he doesnt like running after sticks but I picked up a tennis ball for .99c thinking he would totally ignore it too - not the case!

He *loves* it. He wouldnt drop it to play fetch tho I had to trick him out of it by getting him to sit and giving him a treat.

He was very very excited to see me today and was coming closer to the gate than ever! He was whining (from the shock I guess) but still trying to inch closer and wagging his tail - I couldnt open the gate fast enough (and of course I was having trouble with it!!!).

Name:  Diesel.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  Diesel2.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  Diesel3.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  56.5 KB

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Name:  Diesel4.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  diesel5.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  63.4 KB

He did the play bow thing today for the first time with me while the ball was in his mouth,.
I took it home with me so it wouldnt be a danger lying about (in case he ate it or something).

Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

By the way vids are coming up ( i taught him sit and shake). I tried lay down today but i couldnt get him to do it for the life of me. He did it once (the first time) by accident and once after I asked him to sit (he did) then shake (he layed down)! But maybe another day I will work on new tricks.

Even though it was super cold and when I finally went home my face was soooo red and my toes were kinda numb we both had so much fun so it was totally worth it. His man bit kept making an appearance today too...he was maybe a taaaad bit *too* excited!

Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Aww he looks sooooo happy with that ball!! Looks like he was having a blast! Thanks for caring so much for him.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
-

I hope you still keep going once your friends child comes home Onster, he sure seems to enjoy your visits as do you. His 'man bit' you could have called it his willy you know
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
-

Oh Onster you so have to get a Dawg
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL but what if my bro decides to call his kitty willy (as KR suggested)...then what hahaha. Man bit will do for now. Acutally poor pup is crypto something or other ( i forget the name for it). He has only one furry friend .....im realllllly trying to get them to neuter him as I know the cancer risk really goes up.

Thanks guys. He's a pleasure to feed and play with. 14+ he was going crazy for the ball - almost had to wrestle it from him to take it back at the end (he got wise to my sit trick). omg would he love one that squeeks he kept and chewing it (so all the air would go out) I think he liked the noise...

Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Vids

I know these are like the most basic tricks ever but Im happy he learned them He was much much better after these but my camera was running low again and he was a bit distracted by it so I put it away. He will lift his paw when he sits now just in case .

Sit ( he slightly lifted his paw, just in case lol)
http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=MOV04395.flv

and again
http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/t...MOV04400-1.flv

and Shake:

http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=MOV04421.flv

http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=MOV04430.flv

Finally, here is the only lay down I was able to get. Unfortunately it was completely by acciddent. He also decided to throw in a suprise lick to death attack in there (you see him lunging up) What a creative boy

http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=MOV04396.flv

Like I said he got better. This was my first 10 mins with him and I had to repeat things but afterwards he was listening right away

chris
I would love a dog but I need training first

Last edited by onster; March 2nd, 2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I love him rolling with his toy!! What a good boy! Sounds like a smartie, too! Wish I could get the video, though...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Compromised account

Onster, you are doing GREAT! you would be such a good dog-mommy!

good job on the tricks!!
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:33 PM

Your doing great If you want to get him to fetch, maybe you could get another tennis ball and when you throw one he should go get it and bring it back (or most of the way back) then throw the second one and hopefully he drops the first one when he runs after the second . I do this with Cuz balls to get Maggie to play fetch with me, otherwise she just plays keep away

Like I said before,your doing great and Diezel is a handsome boy

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:47 PM

aww love the snow roll w/the ball in his mouth

You totally made his day

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:10 AM
Slave to Dogs and 1 Angel

Looks like he is having a tonne of fun.

Onster - Some more "advice", ideas.

1) To get him to lay down for you, get him to sit first. Then with the treat right up to his nose (in your hand so he can lick it but not grab it) bring it down to the ground, trying to keep his attention on it. If he follows it with his nose, this will straighten out his body. Of course you should say "Down" or whatever command you choose, at the start, during and end. DO NOT over do the command though, just a few times so that he can associate that command with an action.

A common mistake is people going "sit, sit, sit, sit, sit, sit....", the dogs just eventually drown it out like a noise. If something doesn't work, don't keep at it until everyone involved is fustrated or looses interest. Instead, move on to something else and get back to it.

2) Also, looking at the videos I would say he is at a good weight and don't need to pack on anymore pounds. Of course I am not there in person and hasn't actually felt his sides myself so keep that in mind.

Otherwiser, looks and sounds like you are both having a great time. If you want more experience with dogs, do like I do. Volunteer at your local shelter. If I had the time or money right now, there is this gorgeous girl (canine variety) I would take home RIGHT NOW! But alas, it is not to be. Keep doing what you are doing!

All dogs want to be lap dogs doesn't matter the size!
-Growler
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
~Cat Servent~

Man that is one happy dog!!! You I think are quickly becoming his favorite person for sure!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Diezel is one very happy and very lucky dog to have you for a friend Onster. He looks wonderful and I'm sure that has a lot to do with your attention.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone for your comments,support and advice!

Mommakat thats a great idea I was eyeing a tennis ball just liek the one he has except it squeeks lol i think he's gonna start to think im santa claus

Scuba thank u so much!

1) I tried this but i only was able to lay down once the other times he would go from a sit traight to stand...maybe I pulled out the treat too much (too far?)? I was watching a youtube video and they said to do an L shape so from the nose take the treat down and out And thanks for tip re:repeating commands. I actually, without knowing what I was doing, did take breaks when he stopped paying attention. I would get the ball and throw it or just run around with him to clear his head. Good to know it was indeed the right thing to do.

2) That's great! I didnt think he was skinny per se but I thought maybe his waist was a bit more well pronounced than Id like on my cats. Then again Onnie needs to lose some pounds and Bunduk is too floofy to tell.

I did want to volunteer at the shelter but they only have 3 orientation sessions a year and limited positions. For example the March session was filled 2 months ago...next one is in June and then I need to have a 6 month commitment which I cant do

Thanks again all! His dad went to feed him today and reported that he listened to his sit and shake. He also said he wasnt biting him ( i guess he meant mouthing) and was quite calmer than usual. I noticed diezel kinda did that with me but I didnt really do anything to work on it except ignore it..maybe I just tuckered him out yesterday? yay me lol

Im feeding him tomorrow (shall do every other day ) and am really excited to try and work on 'down'. I was working a bit on stay last time and he was actually surprisingly quite good at it! I could circle him and he would stay and move quite a bit of a distance too.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So now friend's hubby will be talking you up as the best dog trainer around! You'll soon be opening your own dog training business

You're doing a great job with Diezel, onster! Or should I call you Santa Claus?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

lol i guess i should start printing my business cards eh hazel lol

yes yes i am santa for doggies ok so i bought him more treats today...but its for training purposes

Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's pretty cool that even his daddy noticed a difference

Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

lol yes...he asked when im gonna teach him rollover? I think not for a long time yet!

You know its kinda weird but I think Diesel likes learning the tricks. At least compared to my cats that is. Apparently you can teach kitties but mine are having none of it

Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Dogs really seem to thrive on the one-on-one interaction. They love to learn and they love to get their reward. Even Macie, my little catatonic waif really gets excited when she finally figures out something new.

Old March 4th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

See know you made a friend for life.your doing a wonderful thing with him.
he's a good looking pup.