Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thumbs up Looking for Suggestions

I've decided that I am going to cook up a lot of things to freeze, so that when things get tight in the middle of the month, we can eat healthy. I've gone through all the meat we have, and put aside food for the animals, the rest is for us.

So now I need some ideas for freezer-safe recipes using moose, venison, beef, prok and chicken. There is only 2 of us right now, so we rarely make anything spectacular (and I'd like to change that). I've also noticed how much we rely on processed foods, and I would honestly love to change that.

So a few details:

I love to cook! I've had very basic training but I do enjoy trying new things.

We are on a limited budget so everything needs to be cost effective (we're splitting the cost of a Costco account with my parents, and we love to buy in bulk).

Hubby hates beans of any kind. They are just not his thing. However, if they are blended in, he usually can't tell the difference. I love beans and eat them all the time, lol.

I love spice (heat), Gary is slowly getting used to it but appreciates the flavor. Thankfully I can always make mine more spicey if I like

I love ethnic flavors (Indian, Asian, Mexican, etc). Gary loves Chinese flavors, some Mexican, anything Ukranian (he's 1/2 Ukranian, 1/2 Metis), anything Americanized, lol.

I am picky about certain foods. I've just started to eat meat other than poultry and seafood, but we're not big on ham at all (one ER visit after a bad ham was enough to turn us off of it). I am willing to try anything in my freezer, and Gary will eat nearly any meat (but no fish at all). I do not eat anything that was recently alive (lobster, clams, oysters, muscles, crab, etc). I also don't like squid (unless it's a great calamari that I didn't cook, hehe).

We love all veggies with the exception of brussel sprouts. Asperagus, spinach, squash, carrots, beets, etc. Everything is good Carbs are good too, we're not picky about that. We're not big fruit eaters, mostly because its too expensive most of the time. But we often have apples, oranges, pears, bananas, etc.

Ok, that is all I can think of. I look forward to sharing recipes with you all! Hopefully this thread will become large (hint hint!). Right now I am very excited to start to use some of the meat in my freezer Thanks again all!
Old September 17th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Here is a recipie that I was doubtful of, but turned out beautifully. Its simple, and it freezes BEAUTIFULLY.

SHEPARDS PIE
2 pounds ground beef (or turkey)
2 cans beef gravy (cans need to be 10 + ounces each)
2 cups frozen corn
2 cups frozen peas and carrots
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
Additional Ingredients:
2-3 cups of mashed potatoes
2 tablespoons butter, melted.
Paprika (for sprinkling)

1. In the oven , cook beef (or turkey) on 350 until no longer pink: Drain well. (if turkey will not be much to drain if any). Add the gravy, veggies, and onion. Spoon half into greased bakeing dish (i prefer ceramic). Top with the mashed potatoes (i just plop the big glop of em right on top in the middle, but you can smooth them over the top if you like). Drizzle with melted butter. Sprinkle with paprika (you can spice it up by using a spiceier spice like cayanne pepper if you like).

2. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30-35 mins (or until heated throughout). Place the remaining beef into the freezer and it will keep for up to three months.

To prepare frozen cassorole,
thaw in fridge , transfer to greased 2-qt baking dish, top with mashed potatoes, butter , and spice. bake as you did the first time.

Pretty good. I find its a meal in itself and needs no side dish.
(however i like bisquits with it).

Here is another. (since your hubs like mexican)

Hearty Chicken Enchiladas.
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breats
2 cans (15 ounces each) enchilada sauce
1 can (4 ounces) chopped GREEN chilis
1 can (15 ounces) black beans , rinsed and drained
8 flour tortillas (or corn if you prefer) (6 inch size works best)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mexican cheese blend
Sour cream , other toppings as desired.

In 3-qt slow cooker , combine the chicken, ench sauce, and chillies. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until a meat them says 170
Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Reserve 1-2/3 cups of the juice it was cooking in. Pour the remaining juice into large bowl , add the beans, and shredded chicken. Coat two freezer safe 8 inch square baking dishes in cooking spray, and 1/2 cup of the reserved juices to each one. Place about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of tortilla . Roll up and place in baking dish (seam side down). Once dish is filled, poor remaining juices on top, sprinkle with cheese. Cover and freeze one dish for up to three months.
Cover and bake the second one at 350 for 20-25 mins. uncover, bake for five mins longer, or until the cheese is lightly browned. Serve with sour cream and desired toppings (guacomole, chopped tomatoes, salt , pepper...just examples).

To use the frozen batch later, thaw in fridge OVERNIGHT, Remove 30 mins before you want to bake it. Bake as directed originally.
WHA LA.

(you can also do excess meat (since it takes eight hours in the slow cooker)...and freeze it by itself. Just defrost it and use as directed originally. (do not use microwave to defrost it tho..makes chicken like rubber).
Old September 17th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

You could make cabbage rolls, cabbage is nice right now. My Mom's Ukranian so we make that style, rice onions and cream That's the low cal version!! They freeze well just don't put the cream on unless you want to before they go in the oven. I suppose you could add some ground beef to the rice but I like mine meatless.
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Do you like chili/soups stews? I have a few recipes I can forward you. If you have a wholesale store like Cash & Carry to get some styrafoam containers to freeze (super cheap, no more then 6-7$ and you have 50+ tops and lids)

My Sparky is 4 years old (Dec 7th 2007), pure bred Pomeranian from a bad past. Got him when he was too young -found out later-. He has a laundry list of medical problems, but we're working to get him in tip-top shape!

He truly is my fur baby.