Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

Closed Thread

Old May 26th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

whats happening around here???

I dont know if anyone shares my feelings on this one, or even if this thread will last long enough for others to know what Im trying to share.

I loved coming here, daily, and Istill do, but its not the same anymore. Sadly for me the addiction is dying off.
I find myself spending more time on other forums that I frequent, I still come here day to day to see whats happining with "my friends" here, and whats new in their lives... but no one is talking anymore.

For some reason, I sign on, and shortly there after my undies fly straight up my... well you know, due to the tension here.

How can the internet cause " this" to happen??
Its like walking in on a fight occuring in a group of people, you feel instantly uncomfortable, no one is talking, and you just want to disappear.
I am going to take a break for a bit, this isnt one of those "im leaving try to make me stay " threads, im just stating how it feels here for me.

One day I hope things can return to how they were around here, I will still be checking in, in hopes that it has, but until then... Its too uncomfortable here for me.

If this gets deleted, I wont be suprised. However hopefully someone will have seen what I said.

I hope that everyone in charge of this site, can have a good long sit down and think about what is happening.
I dont understand how heaven can turn to hell in a matter of weeks.
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:21 AM

I agree. :sad:
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Honest Contributor

same here... i'm not good with gag orders :sad:

i love this forum though, and really hope things get back to how they were

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

All forums have their ups and downs. I would invite members to PM me with their concerns to see if I can help.

There are many members on this board and many different personalities on this board. As ADMIN there are things that I can do and things that I cannot do (like MAKE people get along)

If any member feels like there is something that I can do - please PM me directly. Everything you say will be kept 100% confidential.

I want to help...but I need to know specific problems.

Thanks in advance,

MarkoADMIN
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:33 AM
-

I don't see it that way, admins are just trying to keep things civilized. Why let things go too far, people get rude, some members get banned, other members that I liked went MIA. And I don't see more posts deleted than before maybe these posts are in topics that I don't read to often, but really , what has changed so much ?
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
There are many members on this board and many different personalities on this board. As ADMIN there are things that I can do and things that I cannot do (like MAKE people get along)
I still get along with everyone, its not that,
Just "something" has happened, I will PM you some concerns though.

Frenchy, its just been "weird here" lately.
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
And I don't see more posts deleted than before maybe these posts are in topics that I don't read to often, but really , what has changed so much ?
I guess you weren't in those threads.
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Live well, laugh often

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. I do believe the mods need to be involved to keep things civilized but I think sometimes the "gagging" was a bit agressive. I was definately happy to see Marko's new policy as I sometimes think that people deliberately said things to close the threads, especially if things weren't going their way .

Quote:
With regard to thread closures and edits for this forum (and other forums) Effective immediately (or by the end of this weekend) Rudeness and slander will just have an edited by Mod X threadnote. Members are welcome to PM the mod in question or PM me for further clarification.
I'm generally not to much of a confrontational person on this board (though can be in real life ) so maybe I don't notice it as much either. I do think that sometimes people just need to agree to disagree and quit demanding that others agree with their positions.

That said, I do love this board and think part of the slowdown is normal as we move onto warmer weather and people are busy shaking off the winter cobwebs.
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess I don't come here often enough to notice - I do tend to hear after the notice that something has been deleted but often it is medical question and it made sense to me to end that and suggest the questioner bring his or her pet to a vet. I have seen much more tense times and I find lately it has been better actually - I mean there are the usual comments that one does not like but I've decided now it's best to ignore the ones that hurt your feelings. (and I tend to be a bit sensitive so that does actually work for me.)

I am not sure it is healthy (emotionally) for people to spend hours here - unless one has to update the site and that sort of thing and I suppose if one is a moderator and thus needs to. But I have learned some good info here and met some great people - and I am saddened that some of them are no longer here, often for reasons I do not understand to be honest. I try not to judge anyone -even if they say something that seems disagreeable or that I disagree with. We all have different views and opinions and that's what makes life interesting.

I guess I just have not experiencing what is being referred to here. Actually, it seems better in some ways than it did during a few periods when it was quite stressful but it has not been like that for me in quite some time. Perhaps it is just a matter of perspective and experience and what one seeks from a site? And doubtless, everyone has unique needs.
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Papa D

i agree with TeriM's last comment,on the weather slowing the number of posts,but,as the nice weather continues i think people will post about vacations with the pets ect. i'm also glad that the number of post about pet problems seems to be down also, I also think that there is a thing called TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING....everything in moderation right,including posting on a board.....
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I hear you Erykah, I took a break and am feeling much better now.
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Queen

I don't think things have changed very much, its just becoming more obvious which views and personalities are more welcome on the forum. Its a shame to see some of the really energetic educated people get shut down or banned though because they are the ones that keep the fourm interesting and informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310
If this gets deleted, I wont be suprised. However hopefully someone will have seen what I said.
I always feel that way if I express something slightly controversial. I was rather shocked when a thread was locked for what appeared to be the use of the word masturbation, so i'm not even sure what is safe at this point. Also something I notice is that whenever there is a complaint about the moderation it seems to go in the direction of what a thankless and difficult job it is.:sad: I also spend a large amount of time looking up information for people, wording things as kindly as possible. I find the reward is getting through to someone every now and then or finding out that something I said actually helped someone. I do appreciate the opportunity to be able to do that here without having to pay for a subscription but I have to admit i've been looking for something where I can speak freely.
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Furball Farmer

I noticed that certain threads caused an uproar amongst members which is bound to happen when you have such a large and vast array of strong minded people trying to voice their opinions.
And I do notice how their are some people who are more persistent with their views then others which is ok to a point, but there is a fine line you musn't cross when giving your opinion whether it be online or in person.
Some people are more sensitive then others, I know I have found myself typing something and deleted it all because I thought it might not be well received by either one person or the group as a whole. (Just trying not to make an enemy!)

But aside from that I try to maintain a good happy balance with all members....I sort of feel bad for the newbies lol since it can be hard to squeeze your way into the "family".
I am glad I was persistent enough to keep posting and reading because I have made some friends on here (even if I have never met you in person )
and got a lot of great advice from people who have "been there,done that"
and when it comes to your pets you want to talk to actual people who have the same love for their pets as you do for your own.

I love this forum! I love the people and all the pets (whom I now can recognize without scrolling up to see who posted lol) I just wish there wasn't so much drama sometimes.
We are all here for the same reasons after all....we love our pets to bits and want whats best for them.
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Flyball Mom

I've noticed a change too and therefore tend to stick more to the 'fun' threads.

I've just noticed that a lot of people are expecting everyone else to be like them. If you're not feeding the best food, or using the best vet, or the best whatever, you're basically told off. Some people just don't have the resourses to pull off the world's most incredible food for their dog and are doing the best that they can. That's the main issue I have.

My other main issue with the 'changes' is the rescue situation, I love that everyone's rescued and fostering, that is amazing and to those that do it. But some of us did not rescue our dogs and sometimes can be made to feel left out in a way. However, even though I did 'buy' my dog, I still feel I rescued her in a way, she is from a 'breeder' who knew nothing about dogs and breeding (HA she even stated that they couldn't tell which were males and which were females until two days after they were born because they don't get their genitals until then - um... I've seen puppies born with genitals!!). Anyway I imagine what Willow's life may have been if I hadn't paid the whole $250 for her as most were probably sold to people just looking for a cheap dog/Christmas present as they were released on Christmas Eve.

Just my please don't rang on me or close the thread because of me. I've been feeling this way for uite sometime too.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me

Last edited by Byrd; May 26th, 2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I really do not know what the problem is,I've not noticed anything,but maybe I just missed some posts
I tend to get involved if there are cat-questions,hence those are the posts I open,but I do really love to see all the pics of all the beautiful dogs,as for doggie questions,all I can do is give my support.
I am not on any other Forums,it's just too time-consuming,this one suits me just fine,people who feel about animals the way I do,most anyway,among my friends not many are as dedicated to their animals as most here are.
There are a couple of people whom I think like to antagonize,but they are very easy to ignore.
Also,I too miss a lot of people who used to come here,it seems to me,if you are too serious about helping animals,there is a limit and censure.
However,I still love to read about great rescue-stories,wonderful people who foster and give their all,so all in all IMO,we still have a nice bunch of people on this Forum.
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:22 PM
-

Granted, I wasn't around much for the past few months until this week... but, we've been had some pretty tough "discussions" on this board in the past and I suspect we always will. When one feels as passionately about animals as we all seem to, it's only natural that we have strongly held convictions.

Some are better able to express themselves in a way that is non-inflammatory than are others. Some are better at being supportive and encouraging than are others. Some are better at de-escalating inflammatory discussions than are others. Some are better at stepping away from the keyboard than are others. Some are being inclusive and engaging others in discussions. And so on and so on.

We each bring to the table something unique and hopefully, we leave the table a little richer in our understanding of each other, ourselves and our animals.

Maybe a little hiatus is just what you need Erykah...but, I for one will miss you.
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:30 PM

My problem is what's being said and what's being done are two different things. Marko, your heart might be in the right place, but it's just not fixing anything. For example, this was posted this morning:
Quote:
With regard to thread closures and edits for this forum (and other forums) Effective immediately (or by the end of this weekend) Rudeness and slander will just have an edited by Mod X threadnote. Members are welcome to PM the mod in question or PM me for further clarification.
And yet, posts are STILL disappearing without explanations. Isn't that interesting?
Old May 26th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Live well, laugh often

To be fair, Marko did say "by the end of the weekend".

Prin, TD & Erykah (and all others concerned) please don't let these negative feelings keep you guys away. You all provide great advice and are valued members. Hopefully we will get "back on track" soon.

Old May 26th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Honest Contributor

I'm still here! just multitasking...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 26th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Flyball Mom

I'm still here too, just not getting involved in any of the intense discussions.

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old May 26th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

When I read a thread like this I feel like I'm oblivious to what's going on around me especially when so many members feel like things are different. Maybe I too am not going into the threads that are causing the problems.

This is the first and only forum of any kind that I have participated in, so I really don't have anything to compare to. All the people that I've "met" here are great and I enjoy the banter back and forth and the great advice that is freely given. Clashes of opinion are unavoidable, mods shouldn't jump the gun and delete a thread before a situation has played out, give people the benefit of the doubt. Generally, in my experience, a heated debate will come full circle and in the end everyone's civil.

Don't go Erykah.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
I'm still here! just multitasking...
Me, too...though instead of "multitasking" I usually refer to it as "memory lapse"...I just haven't remembered to finish the first task yet...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Papa D

I know i'm going to be hated for this but this is what i think.

This is the internet....the opinions you post are open to other opinions.....why get all emotional about what people post....yes i realize that people make friendships online and have things in common....but its the internet....and i think most of the posts about very sick pets are posted to enrage us....why do we need drama?
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazelrunpack
I must be completely clueless : disappearing posts, what's that all about? Could the mods not email the 'offender' with some kind of explanation? In fact how else can people get an idea of which line they have crossed. Plus it would be a courtesy, if it could be done (I have no idea how often this happens. See above).
I must agree with wdawson on the fact that things sometimes get overwrought for no apparent reason, altho' I think we're a little kinder to newcomers, less rabid, unless the poster is an utter fool then all bets are off
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I have to add my ,i have no idea about posts disappearing,but i do know the one thing that does get to me are the people that come here make it so obvious that it is a bullsh** question,and the people here who take alot of time to give advice, i know not all are trolls,but i think it is pretty obvious when they are that pisses me off.
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Queen

hmmm I get the feeling everyone has a totally different idea about what is or isn't going. (sort of in response to what wdawson said) I think it is usually good when the sick pet posts get closed right away. I honestly think many of those are just people that view pets more as play things and don't get it. Many people really are that clueless unfortunately. I like how it is more polite now "in keeping with site policy this thread will now be closed, seek emediate vet care etc.." Its not much help arguing with someone while thier pet is dying. Once in a while suggestions to look into help from certain ogranizations has helped people realize they should find a way to get to the vet though, even if they don't have cash or credit. I like to give it a quick try if it looks like there is potential for that.

I think the "problem" or one I have is with "over moderation" of discussions. I'm fairly slow and after quite some time typing a response I will submit and unexpectedly get the invalid thread msg because the thread is gone or closed, that is frustrating.:sad:
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I also like how they close them now,thank god,you know it is usually the one sentence questions that always to me seem to come from the same person. "mY DOg iS BleEdING oUT OF bUT" They usually look like that,and i just have a hard time not saying something rude,but have toned it down.
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Im not "leaving" per se, im just taking a break.
But that isnt what this thread was about. To me it has felt almost like I have had to walk on eggshells lately. I havent been posting in some threads although I would have loved to just because I can see things going REALLY bad on them.

However, I must say some of the PM's I have gotten were sorta uncalled for here. Im not putting the members down! Im not even putting the board down.
I just want to know why its so tense here!
Thanks for PM's, and for pointing out MY flaws that sorta came out of no where!
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Performance Spaniels

Think part of the heart of this discussion went a little better in the dog food forum over slander and regulars dissapearing. More people there saw what was going on because it is in a concentrated location. Not that the deleting isn't widespread.
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Flyball Mom

Erykah, I can't believe people PM'd you nasty messages!

Actually, I've been expecting some myself. But, so far so good.

Closed Thread