Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
Honest Contributor

deciphering the "pedigree" spin

not really a 101-course on how to read through marketing hype, but almost!

from http://www.pedigree.com/dogproducts/...vegetables.asp

I refute their "sales pitch" for this product simply by looking at their ingredients list. thank goodness the law still forces these companies to state what they use in petfood, even if what you read isn't really what you get

PEDIGREE WITH CHICKEN, RICE & VEGETABLES™ Food For Dogs now contains a new and improved patented PEDIGREE HEALTHY NUGGETS™ with Meaty Centers kibble. Improvements include a golden yellow shell, 25% more cream fill and meaty center.

mmm sounds good! like a McD happy meal! golden... creamy... meaty...

Made with real chicken, a high quality protein source

sure. real chicken by-products, the 4th ingredient on the list... behind Ground Whole Corn, Meat and Bone Meal, Corn Gluten Meal... and before Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with BHA/BHT).

Made with healthy real vegetables that dogs love

uhhh where? oh i see... buried towards the bottom of the list... Dried Whole Peas and Carrot Powder. Yummy. every dog's dream.

Higher guaranteed levels of protein than BENEFUL® Original (Based on guaranteed analysis: PEDIGREE WITH CHICKEN RICE & VEGETABLES™: 26% protein, BENEFUL® Original: 25% protein)

is this a joke? comparing the nutritional value of a Big Mac vs a Whopper? 1% protein difference? now is this digestible protein, or crude protein? who cares? it's garbage!

Nutritionally complete and balanced for both puppies and adult dogs

sure. "just enough" so they don't develop rickets and die before age 3.

Contains patented HEALTHY NUGGETS™ pocket kibbles that have a dual texture- crispy outside with a soft, creamy inner

the essence of what every good dog food should contain! pocket kibbles! useful for storing all those chemicals and preservatives, no doubt.

Contains the Advanced Antioxidant Recipe with guaranteed levels of vitamins E & C

AAFCO does force these companies to have guaranteed levels of vitamins, yes. is this special or meaningful?

Highly digestible ingredients so nutrients are easily absorbed

evident by the huge monster-sized loads of crap produced by dogs eating this garbage

Improved taste that dogs love

dogs also love the taste of poop and rotten eggs

Select sizes available with the SLIDE RITE® Zipper for easy opening and resealing between feedings

ah yes, this adds nutritional value to the food, certainly.

No artificial flavors or fillers

are they joking? no fillers? Corn! Corn by-products! Wheat! Wheat by-products! Salt! ok no artificial flavors... just artificial colors. that is much healthier.

Marketing class, anyone? they're hiring over at the Mars Corporation!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM

Yummay!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Yummay!
Interpretted as
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:44 PM
Honest Contributor

would love to see others take a stab at this stuff, it's fun!

Old February 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Did you send that to the company via their "Contact Us" section on their website? Even though it wouldn't prevent them from producing these foods, it would at least show them that not everyone is fooled by their tricky marketing.

Query: Do you think that the people who work for unhealthy dog food companies (people in the manufacturing plants, the sales people, the office people, etc.) truly believe that their products are healthy? Are they fooled too??? I've always wondered if they can distinguish between healthy dog foods versus their own.
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:54 PM

I think they do. When you talk to people who sell it, they truly believe in it. It's really sad. :sad:
Old February 24th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Sadly I am still trying to convince my parents to stop feeding that crap to the family dog (lives far from me) and friends in town to stop feeding it to their dogs. One told me... but it was the most expensive thing at the store (big box chain store, not specializing in pets). Gross.
Thanks technodoll this post was awesome! Gross but awesome.
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Do you think that the people who work for unhealthy dog food companies (people in the manufacturing plants, the sales people, the office people, etc.) truly believe that their products are healthy? Are they fooled too???
one of my coworker's mom used to work for a local petfood company (i forget the name, grrr), in the customer service department, and YES she did believe it was a Top Food (in the lines of nutrience, or royal canin...) jeez what is the name of that brand... (darned alzheimer's). anyways. i asked if she had toured the facilities where they make the food and she said "no", only certain employees were allowed there for security and insurance reasons. riiiiight she was convinced it was great food.... maybe explains her obese, 100lbs labrador (vet said she had to lose 40 lbs or be dead in a year) and her 2 diabetic cats... :sad:

Old February 24th, 2007, 08:44 PM

Oh how sad. :sad: I wonder if the people who actually make the food (work in the factory) think it's a good food. I'm sure they've seen disgusting things while making their food that would sicken a lot of people.

I'm glad that I can confidently say that I have no reservations about the way in which the food that my two girls eat (TO) is made, which really brings me peace of mind. I also wouldn't have reservations about a lot of other companies products.

So.....what can we do to put the companies that produce unhealthy dog foods completely out of business? Unrealistic, I know.
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
what can we do to put the companies that produce unhealthy dog foods completely out of business?
the mighty dollar has a loud voice... imagine if they lost half their sales within a year by people being smarter and not buying their product anymore? oh my!

Old February 25th, 2007, 01:19 AM

Yes, but it would never happen. There will always be those who either don't want to feed health food (thinking of dog food costs), those who don't want to learn about dog food (want to remain ignorant), or those who have been englightened, but choose not to embrace the information (skeptics).

That's life, I guess. The same applies to human health & nutrition. Like when a person is dying of emphysema & still smokes. You can only do so much & the rest is up to them. Unfortunately, animals don't have a choice in the matter, at all. :sad: