Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 13th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Unhappy If anyone has any idea for my cat...

Hi, I have a four year old cat who has had some issues since I've had her, but are slowly progressing? She has another vet appointment tuesday, but if I can get any ideas before I spend more money on tests that will come back negative. She is a chronic vomiter, almost everytime she eats, she vomits. she doesn't chew her food, and I follow the recommended feeding instructions. I have tried changing her diet, numerous times, with no results. She has been tested for feline leukemia and aids, been on medication, etc. Nothing has helped. Her appetite is fine, though. She is lethargic nowadays, neverplays any more, just sits and sleeps all day. But she never gains weight. She actually looks like she is losing weight. Her coat isn't full and shiny anymore, she has sores on her gums, and extremely bad breath. I am going to get her tested for hyper thyroid at her vet appointment, but I'd hate to spend another $100 on a test for something she doesn't have. However, I have NO clue what is wrong with her. All I know is that within the last three months, she has becom every lethargic. She just sits or sleeps all day. Any ideas I can take to the vet and ask about?

Last edited by ferrari2325; November 13th, 2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What have you been feeding your cat?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:25 PM

I've changed it so much; I've done everything from Iams, to meow mix, wet cat food, right now she's on an indoor formula from purina, and she throws up less often on it, it's had the best result so far, but she still throws up occasionally.
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Has the vet discussed IBD with you or given you any causes for the sores in the mouth? Could it be from the stomach acid in the vomit?

Purina is really a poor quality food and I highly recommend changing to a high quality cat food such as Wellness or Nature's Variety Instinct, canned varieties only as your kitty may not be getting enough water due to vomiting.

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_w...can_index.html

http://www.naturesvariety.com/instinct_cat_can

Here is some reading on cat food and nutrition:

http://www.catinfo.org/

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari2325 View Post
Her coat isn't full and shiny anymore, she has sores on her gums, and extremely bad breath.
The sores on her gums are an alarm bell for me. Has she had a dental at all? I'm wondering if she might have Stomatitis, which is extreme gingivitis.

Try to feed her a good quality canned food, no dry. She's probably not chewing her food because it hurts, and then regurgitates it as it expands in her stomach. Get something like Wellness, Innova Evo 95% meat, Nature's Variety Instinct, Precise, Eagle Pack, Natural Balance. Don't feed any Meow Mix or Purina crap, she needs good quality nutrition to help her fragile immune system.

I'm not sure a hyperthroid test is money well spent at this point. Ask the vet about stomatitis and perhaps a referral to someone experienced in dental issues.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM

No, what is IBD? I have a coworker who recently had to euthanize her cat due to hyper thyroid, causing heart failure, and alot of the symptoms her cat was showing over a prolonged period are very similar to mine. The vomiting has been a constant since I have had her, over three years. Her becoming lethargic over the last 3-6 months has me worried on top of everything else. She liked the canned wet food, but still vomited that. She does seem dehydrated. I fill her water bowl everyday, and still she drinks out of the toilet, water cups left unattended, and her own water dish. The last vet visit was a couple hundred, with no result. Her temperment is still great, on the up side
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:50 PM

oh, and sugar cat mom, I haven't had a dental on her.. I am taking her to a new vet, due to lots of money spent at the last with no result..and they do dental at their office. I will ask about that.. I love her lots, and she's the best cat ever. I want her well and playing again!! she acts like an old cat and she's only going to be four in december.
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Ferrari2325, so sorry to hear thatyour cat is not doing so well. sugarcatmom and love4himmies are some of our resident cat nutrition experts, so taking their advice on food will more than likely produce favourable results for your cat.

Proper high quality food can work wonders for ill pets. Any pet foods that can be found in a grocery store should NOT be fed to our precious furry family members.

I'm not sure where you're located, but we can help you find a good place to buy high quality food.

Goodluck with the new vet.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
No, what is IBD? I have a coworker who recently had to euthanize her cat due to hyper thyroid, causing heart failure, and alot of the symptoms her cat was showing over a prolonged period are very similar to mine. The vomiting has been a constant since I have had her, over three years. Her becoming lethargic over the last 3-6 months has me worried on top of everything else. She liked the canned wet food, but still vomited that. She does seem dehydrated. I fill her water bowl everyday, and still she drinks out of the toilet, water cups left unattended, and her own water dish. The last vet visit was a couple hundred, with no result. Her temperment is still great, on the up side

IBD is Inflammatory Bowel Disease and can cause chronic vomiting in cats. Cats can also have bloody diarrhea with mucous. There is no cure for it, but some people have had success in controling it with a raw diet. True IBD (not allergy driven) is treated with prednisone during flare ups.

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00427.htm

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM

I live in Boise Idaho, and we have a pet store up here called Zamzows, they have alot of pet products,it's like petco or petsmart. we also have petsmart, and they sell the science diet food at the humane society.
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Senior Contributor

From waht I can see, Petco seems to sell some good brands. They have Wellness which makes a really good grainfree canned food.

Science Diet is not a good food despite being hocked by many vets, alot of corn and by products in it, not stuff you'd want to put into your cat.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I have a coworker who recently had to euthanize her cat due to hyper thyroid, causing heart failure, and alot of the symptoms her cat was showing over a prolonged period are very similar to mine.
Hyperthyroid is basically the result of a tumor on the thyroid gland (and is also easily treated with meds - I'm sorry that your coworker chose to pts) and is more typical of older (8+) cats. I think IBD and/or stomatitis are much more likely scenarios.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi
I was reading about cats that vomit after eating and this article said to raise the cat's food dish 2" higher so the stomach acid won't come up when they eat. Good luck.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

FYI: humans with IBD do find more frequent small meals is much easier on their systems than the the normal 3. Even if your kitty does not have an IBD, she may benefit from smaller meals if her tummy is upset. There is a specific probiotic for oral bacteria diseases, I'll try to find where I read it. That may help with her sores.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 14th, 2008, 10:51 AM

Vets are not all "created equal"...finding a competent feline Veterinarian would be my first goal if I were in your position.

You said you have planned to take her to another Vet...if you are open to suggestions, you might want to consider checking out the Vet listed on this site (a list of Veterinarians who have been recommended by the "owners" of chronically ill cats).

Most Vets are fine with everyday, run-of-the-mill, relatively minor health issues. From my experience, there are very few who are willing/able to go the extra distance required to competently diagnose and treat issues beyond those.

One of my immediate concerns with what you're relating is that your cat isn't getting sufficient caloric intake to sustain herself. When this happens, a cat faces the prospect of developing another life-threatening condition commonly known as "fatty liver disease"...in the absence of sufficient nutrient intake, the liver begins drawing on body fat. Unfortunately - only in cats, BTW - the liver "bites off more than it can chew" and the result is that the liver itself turns to fat. So, my recommendation would be that you move on this ASAP!
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Thanks everyone, I will definitely bring these issues up on her visit!! I did some research on vet clinics this time before I called one, so I feel good about this visit. It's funny I haven't found a site like this for the states. THey all want payment to answer questions. But anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions and help! BTW, if my cat does have stomatitis or IBD, can my other cat, whom I adopted a month ago, catch either of those? Thanks SO much!
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
...BTW, if my cat does have stomatitis or IBD, can my other cat, whom I adopted a month ago, catch either of those?
Nope. Non-contageous.

Please remember the dangers associated with lack of nutrition.
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
BTW, if my cat does have stomatitis or IBD, can my other cat, whom I adopted a month ago, catch either of those? Thanks SO much!
Nope. Both of those issues are the result of something way out of whack with the cat's immune system. There are different theories about why stomatitis occurs, in some cases there may be a link to feline leukemia or FIV, but your cat was already tested for those. Here is another article for you to read: http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+2121&aid=368

Old November 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYcat View Post
Nope.
Hilarious! You beat me.

Old November 15th, 2008, 01:58 AM

You should also consider kidney failure as that shows signs of vomiting, nausea, excessive drinking, mouth ulcers, lethargy and dehydration. This can be easily determined/ruled out with full blood & urine tests.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Here is another article about chronic vomiting in cats that I found:

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00423.htm

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Tags
dull coat, gum sores, lethargic, vomiting